REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 10-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Automotive Refinishing Technician Questions

Hey guys,

I am currently considering enrolling at a technical school in the field of automotive refinishing (painting and prepping).

I would like to gather details on certain questions from people who either have friends in the field or first hand experience themselves from employment in this field:

1. What are some of the rewards/things that you like about the job?
2. What are some of the things that you wish would be different about the job?
3. How long do you see yourself staying in your current position/within the automotive collision industry?
4. What are 3 of the most important skills/traits to have to be successful in this field of work?

I am looking for sincere and thoughtful answers. I appreciate any feedback that I can get!
Advertisement

"The value of life can be measured by how many times the soul has been deeply stirred"- Soichiro Honda
busdriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriverman View Post
Hey guys,

I am currently considering enrolling at a technical school in the field of automotive refinishing (painting and prepping).

I would like to gather details on certain questions from people who either have friends in the field or first hand experience themselves from employment in this field:

1. What are some of the rewards/things that you like about the job?
2. What are some of the things that you wish would be different about the job?
3. How long do you see yourself staying in your current position/within the automotive collision industry?
4. What are 3 of the most important skills/traits to have to be successful in this field of work?

I am looking for sincere and thoughtful answers. I appreciate any feedback that I can get!
I started out as an apprentice, and am no longer doing it, however, I am managing an autobody shop now, and here are my answers to your questions.

1. Really no rewards in my opinion, the novelty of the job wears off quickly
2. Not sure how to answer that one.
3. It is a good potential career, which can open up doors to other aspects of refinishing as well (such as a a paint tech support for paint companies)
4. Need to be able to determine differences in colours (some people have the skill, some don't) You must be allergy free to the materials that you come in contact with at work (paint, dust, etc) And willingness to learn and adapt to the ever changing industry.

Hope that helps.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

1) I always found it therapeutic when I was in the booth painting. It's rewarding only if your manager allows you access to paint whatever you want on your own time. Otherwise, it really does wear off.

2) The health aspects..

3) Anywhere from $22/hr to almost $30/hr (not flat rate at this point)

4) adding to Trueno's list: the ability to wet sand out your runs. The ability to get yourself in a rhythm (when you're laying down the clear).

Truenosan pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'm merely just adding off the top of my head.

I started at a GM bodyshop, then moved to a particular bodyshop chain, and finally ended up at a high end bodyshop.

Not doing it anymore.. moved on.
zephyrantes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
My dad has been in the industry for over 25 years. He started from the ground up as a lot boy with a very limited command of English and has since worked on Indy race cars, exotics, to becoming a freelance contractor/consultant to a luxury marque. I will answer your questions according to what he's told me:

1. No real rewards, per se. It was all about providing food on the table, clothes to wear, and a roof over our heads. He gets factory demo cars on loan often and gifts/perks from companies.

2. Definitely the health/safety standards but a tough question to answer.

3. He's been in the industry for over 25 years so....yeah. But there are career paths like Truenosan mentioned or you do what my dad did. For him, it was luck of the draw. Companies (manufacturers and suppliers) liked his work and hired him on a contract basis and as a consultant. This doesn't happen often but it does and you have to be REALLY good. Cream of the crop material. But in the end, for him, it was a means to an end for his family.

4. Willingness to learn, adapt, take the criticism, and be prepared to fail.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: