REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #276
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx7rrrr View Post
PORT MANN Officially closed both ways! FAIIIL!

http://www.news1130.com/2012/12/19/p...-indefinitely/
Wow having the single supporting pillar in the middle resulting in running all the cables over the driving surface - what a poor design!
Advertisement
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #277
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Wow... major design fail for the new Port Mann Bridge.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #278
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Seen on Facebook: "Vancouver snow: It's like you're standing ankle deep in a giant cup of dirt-flavoured Slurpee."
My shoes are soaked, along with my socks.

The car has so much build up in the wheel wells and under the car that the battery light has come up on the dash
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #279
c3m
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkaku View Post
Was following a 90's c-class watching the guy skid around

Drove our old es300 and there weren't too many problems, though there was this one spot I had a hard time starting at the hill around Eric hamber going up oak.
Snow tires or just all season?
c3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #280
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
very surprised port mann has falling ice chunks causing damage/injuries
treo better compensate them and make changes before our next snowfall
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #281
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Wow having the single supporting pillar in the middle resulting in running all the cables over the driving surface - what a poor design!
i think the issue is its height since the old portman had cross beams across the bridge as well

with the height it catches the colder weather + moisture

someone suggested christmas lights wrapped around the cables to keep em warm
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #282
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts

holy shit

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #283
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
someone suggested christmas lights wrapped around the cables to keep em warm
Not when you use LED....
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #284
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
I spent some time with my dog in the snow. He seems to enjoy it quite a bit. My doesn't though.

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio

Last edited by european; 12-20-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: #whyyoufailme :(
european is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #285
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,883 Times in 745 Posts
Pulled over just now on my way to the store to help some Asian guy push his G35 out of the slush/snow bank that he got stuck in just before he could turn right onto 41st. Jeans got soaked and shirt got a bit wet from his spinning tires that flung slush and debris all over me but oh well. Hope you made it to wherever you were going.
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #286
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High View Post
Not when you use LED....
lol yeah
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #287
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
ICBC has confirmed 60 claims linked to falling ice on new Port Mann Bridge during today's bad weather.
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #288
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Holy shit, crazy. That's a huge oversight.

Man, more snow on the forecast tomorrow in some parts of the Lower Mainland.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #289

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #290
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Somebody gonna get sued real bad.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #291
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
heard on global that the mayor has a few dedicated trucks to clear bike lanes instead of major roads
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #292
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
The Widest bridge on the planet is also the deadliest!

Old 12-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #293
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

holy crap, since they closed port man coming back from surrey to van using Pattullo was NUTS. It was a total stand still for a while.... I even ran out of gas at one point and was so lucky to have hit a gas station.

Car question, was heading home in my Pathfinder (02) and I stuck it in auto 4x4 to get through all the snow. By the time I got home my A/T oil temp light was showing up but very dimly. I Pulled the tranny oil stick and it was at the HOT part. Is it normal after stressing it that much in the snow? I am sure the 2 hour drive home in snow and ice was stress on the tranny but I'd think a part time 4x4 can handle a couple hours without problems. Hopefully I didn't f up my transmission
Old 12-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #294
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-ternal-3 View Post
holy crap, since they closed port man coming back from surrey to van using Pattullo was NUTS. It was a total stand still for a while.... I even ran out of gas at one point and was so lucky to have hit a gas station.

Car question, was heading home in my Pathfinder (02) and I stuck it in auto 4x4 to get through all the snow. By the time I got home my A/T oil temp light was showing up but very dimly. I Pulled the tranny oil stick and it was at the HOT part. Is it normal after stressing it that much in the snow? I am sure the 2 hour drive home in snow and ice was stress on the tranny but I'd think a part time 4x4 can handle a couple hours without problems. Hopefully I didn't f up my transmission
Rule of thumb is to change out your oil if you overheat it like that. I had an overheat problem on my 4runner for a while, eventually I stopped changing the fluid cuz it was too expensive.

Check your cooling system for the motor, my problem was some air bubbles in the system and then it would heat soak the lower part of the rad where the tranny fluid went.

But to bluntly answer your question, no your AT light shouldn't come on after a few hours in 4x4. Unless you had the tranny screaming away the whole time and/or was loaded down.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #295

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
heard on global that the mayor has a few dedicated trucks to clear bike lanes instead of major roads
They must be lawn tractors, or the narrowest trucks in the world...

Quote:
My wife takes the Golden Ears, she said it was busy but moving smoothly as she was coming down the north side, but it was just a river of red lights from the base of the bridge all the way into Pitt Meadows - the left turn onto Lougheed westbound was apparently backed WAY the fuck up from all the trucks, since it's a REALLY short left-turn and you're lucky to get a single truck through on a light cycle, and the cars were all taking the Maple Meadows exit... then everyone else saw it at the last minute and was cutting way over to the right lane to take the first exit. Fortunately, she said, almost all of those were heading off into Maple Ridge, so she didn't have much traffic to deal with cutting back into Pitt Meadows on Airport Way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #296
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Rule of thumb is to change out your oil if you overheat it like that. I had an overheat problem on my 4runner for a while, eventually I stopped changing the fluid cuz it was too expensive.

Check your cooling system for the motor, my problem was some air bubbles in the system and then it would heat soak the lower part of the rad where the tranny fluid went.

But to bluntly answer your question, no your AT light shouldn't come on after a few hours in 4x4. Unless you had the tranny screaming away the whole time and/or was loaded down.
Thanks G, this is the first time that happened so I hope it's a false alarm. I have to drive to work tomorrow but i'll go to my mechanic right after to check it out.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #297
I STILL don't get it

i needed some help getting up a steep hill in the underhill/forest grove area and a salt truck helped me up by spraying salt for my front wheels. basically we went up the hill together. thanks to you whoever you are, burnaby city staff. yes i did have proper tires, but it was icy last night.

now a question though, i just have a regular squeeze trigger for my garden hose. is that enough to spray down the salt? or perhaps i need to spend that $15 at shine auto wash to get the underside?
entrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #298
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
Instead of the nursery rhyme song "London Bridge is falling down", how about a new song "Port Mann Bridge is spewing ice, spewing ice, spewing ice".

-funny and truthful comments on news1130.com about the Port Mann Bridge:

Port Mann Bridge is open | News1130

we now have a bridge that cannot hack snow. just great ! a fricken useless bridge. drive it and it can kill you ! we want our money back !!!
December 19, 2012 at 5:57 pm
george says:

This would not be so bad if you did not have to pay a toll for the privilege of having your car smashed up. Thank you Kevin “Adolph” Falcon.
The Old Port Mann Bridge may have had lower capacity, but at least it never SHUT DOWN THE FREEWAY!
Sure is a good thing we have a new high capacity bridge to make commuting so much faster. Oh wait, it is shut down due to a little snow, creating a commuting hell never before seen. Thank you for forcing us to pay tolls for a “better commute”.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #299
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
A tad bit of engineering oversight?

I know that people like pretty bridges, but they should have accounted for the fact that BC is a cold province, and decided what type of bridge to build around that.

They screwed up, hopefully they learn from this when they build another bridge. As long as they have learnt their lesson I guess..
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #300
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:

Wow. You ran out of gas and still managed to have an accident involving a building. Impressive.
Posted via RS Mobile
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: