REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #326
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
snow plow took a beating today

Advertisement

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #327
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I'm not a bridge engineer, and I'm assuming you're not either, so it would be presumptuous to refer to the bridge design as flawed. It doesn't take an engineering degree to recognize the decision to extend the cables above the deck was made after cost-benefit analysis, and the design may offer much improved safety during an earthquake or some other incident this audience simply does not have the education to be aware of.

The Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge in Boston.

Boston is prone to severe snow and ice storms, but the only stories on snow and ice falling from cables causing damage are related to a 2005 storm. That should support the explanation of this incident being caused by an extremely unlikely series of events, not considered worthwhile by the government or public to pre-plan for the possibility of occurring. The deck of this bridge also appears to be very wide, and since the new Port Mann is the widest cable stay bridge in the world, it stands to reason that the layout of cables may be required with an increase in size on that axis.
I agree, it's too early to say whether or not it's an actual design flaw or rare occurrence.

A background in engineering would provide a solid foundation in analyzing the historical weather data between that Boston bridge and this Port mann one. Some variables I can imagine are:

angles of the cables
coating
heat traced - is the Boston bridge heat traced or have some sort of preventative measure for this already?
environmental factors - humidity, how often does the temperature hover between -2/+2? If Boston's winters are colder than Vancouvers, then maybe these two bridges aren't comparable. Perhaps ice melts slower in Boston than Vancouver due to slower temperature changes. Rapid temp changes could attribute to falling ice

etc
alpinestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #328
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:

The Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge in Boston.

Boston is prone to severe snow and ice storms, but the only stories on snow and ice falling from cables causing damage are related to a 2005 storm.
from what i know falling ice from the Zakim bridge happens every year, people i know try to avoid it (during a storm)

and the Department of Transportation says that they've gotten 3 calls about falling ice on the bridge since it's opening in 2003

I-Team: Falling Ice Puts Drivers At Risk On Zakim Bridge « CBS Boston

people just aren't calling the DoT enough to complain the DOT asks for people to call them when there's problems so they can post a warning on signs near the bridge
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #329
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Where the fuck is my snow..........
Old 12-20-2012, 02:49 AM   #330
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight604 View Post
get the fuck out!
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2012, 03:28 AM   #331
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight604 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
get the fuck out!
comes into 2012/2013 snow thread... tells someone to gtfo when they ask for snow

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2012, 04:27 AM   #332
I don't get it

Last night!
dygital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #333
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I wish I could thank this post more than once...

Quote:
Could any possibility of this type of situation ever occurring been eschewed by a design that more thoroughly accounts for very rare circumstances? Yes, but seriously overbuilding would simply provoke outrage from the public for wasteful spending and exorbitant tolls.
And of course, we all know what would happen then: some bored reporter or hacktivist would be poking through the bridge contract and see that there was a massive amount allocated for heated cables or whatever sort of ice mitigation strategy... the cost would be made public... and there would be such a hue and cry because, of course, IT NEVER SNOWS IN VANCOUVER! IF THEY HADN'T SPENT ALL THAT EXTRA MONEY ON THOSE HEATED CABLES, THE TOLLS COULD HAVE BEEN 10 CENTS CHEAPER! WHAT A BUNCH OF IDIOTS!

Quote:
It's not a logical oversight or an engineering problem. It's a well-established fact that LRT systems are susceptible to snow and ice, but ideal solutions break the bank, and transit projects don't have unlimited funding, so the engineers settle on a system that is great 350 days of the year, and less than ideal the other 15 days. It's no different than roads or airports, people who travel by means of those corridors experience the same delays due to snow and ice.
Yep... we saw the same thing a few years ago when we got all those dumps of snow, and the cities (Vancouver in particular) were being berated for not having enough snow-clearing equipment to keep up with it all. "Of course it snows in Vancouver, how could they not know this and not have three times as many snowplows?!" And of course, when the city managers try to explain that it's just not cost effective to keep that many trucks sitting idle for four or five years just so they're there when the sixth-year blizzard comes, well, they're just talking out their asses, aren't they?

And naturally, if they DID have the extra capacity to deal with the odd MASSIVE snowfall, you'd see news reports every winter in between about the Snowplow Graveyard, where all these trucks (aka your tax dollars) sit idle, year after year - a classic example of bureaucratic overspending.

Fucking armchair quarterbacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #334
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Extreme weather? It was just a little snow...not even a whole lot. What happens when it snows again next week? Or next month? Or next year? Yes, we'll keep blaming it on the weather.

Sounds like bureaucratic bullshit to me.
What happens? Probably nothing.

Extreme weather? Maybe a poor choice of words. Extremely rare combination of factors. Yes, we'll get snow again... but not the exact conditions that would lead to it sticking, then forming ice, then breaking off and dropping straight down, rather than sliding down the cables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #335
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
I finally found the limits of my stock height 01 QX4 in 4x4 mode with Nokian snow flake rated all-weather tires.
There was over a ft of snow plus the snow being pushed up from the plows. I sorta got my truck stuck trying to park in my usual spot. After 10 minutes of rocking the truck I was able to get her unstuck.

Woohoo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #336
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post

and the Department of Transportation says that they've gotten 3 calls about falling ice on the bridge since it's opening in 2003

I-Team: Falling Ice Puts Drivers At Risk On Zakim Bridge « CBS Boston
How many drivers use the bridge each day? 3 reported incidents in 9 years? Sounds like they're trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

It would absolutely suck if you happened to be one of those 3 drivers caught by ice. But, your odds of getting seriously injured by a drunk dirver or some stoned guy in a Range Rover are much higher. In fact, every time you get in your car, you are putting your life at risk.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #337
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
got bored and made this haha that time of year!

Vancouver Snow Meme | Vancity Buzz | Vancouver Blog

Don't know if they credited you properly
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #338
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
heard on global that the mayor has a few dedicated trucks to clear bike lanes instead of major roads
On that topic

Quote:
More bike lanes were cleared than major routes: councillor
George Affleck questions priorities

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – While many major routes were impassable for drivers during yesterday’s snow storm, Vancouver bike lanes seemed to be bare and clear.

One city councillor admits he is frustrated by what was considered a priority during the madness. George Affleck is now calling for a report to be completed in January to pinpoint what happened.

“I saw a lot of craziness on Broadway yesterday with buses… and I saw a snow plow go by on Ontario [Street] to clear a bike lane,” he tells us, saying that’s totally unacceptable.

“When I see the kind of weather we had yesterday and I see buses skidding with many commuters and many people on it… and I see snow plows going down bike lanes, yeah it concerns me.”

Affleck also points out that many businesses did not keep their sidewalks clear, thinking the rain would wash away the ice, which it didn’t; many people slipped their way up and down hills, at times with the help of total strangers.

“I didn’t see Broadway cleared until about 5 p.m. yesterday,” he says.
More bike lanes were cleared than major routes: councillor | News1130
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #339
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
^Someone on City Council with common sense?

World must really be ending tomorrow
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #340
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Ben (), he actually seems pretty well rounded:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_..._(entrepreneur)

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #341
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
How many drivers use the bridge each day? 3 reported incidents in 9 years? Sounds like they're trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

It would absolutely suck if you happened to be one of those 3 drivers caught by ice. But, your odds of getting seriously injured by a drunk dirver or some stoned guy in a Range Rover are much higher. In fact, every time you get in your car, you are putting your life at risk.
Posted via RS Mobile
like i said it happens far more often to the point that people i know avoid it during winter storms

obviously the damage it causes may not be severe or else i imagine the DOT would get far more reports; but they're not the police/insurance either, how many people do you know contact translink directly when they get in an accident?

however as said we'll have to see how often this happens for us since our weather is drastically different
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #342
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts

clearly i've found my next big purchase for the 4runner

all dem c-lais in richmond gonna be jealous
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #343
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
Track N Go - YouTube

They're just gonna install them and never take them off because of the increase in ride height
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #344
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Transporation Investment Corporation is waving the toll for anyone who drove the Port Mann between 10am and 6pm yesterday, and it will pay the deductable for the damaged vehicles

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #345
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
snow plow took a beating today

you and me both, my lip is cracked in half on the left side good thing it was there when I bought the car and its a cheap lip anyway
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #346
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
my friend drove his Lexus into a small ditch yesterday because of the snow haha
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #347
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
my friend drove his Lexus into a small ditch yesterday because of the snow haha
I see more 4x4s in ditches than I do any other type of car. Overconfidence. People who are really afraid to drive in the snow stay home. People who are cautious get stuck or slowly get to where they're going.

I remember back in the good ol' BCDSM days there were a couple of guys who went up to Cypress with chains and tow cables to pull out the stuck 4x4s.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #348
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
damn that Track N Go thing looks nuts!!

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #349
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
Track N Go - YouTube

i want that for my civic

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #350
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
Vancouver Snow Meme | Vancity Buzz | Vancouver Blog

Don't know if they credited you properly
They didn't. I got that image from either this thread or the FUSWMPL thread, and then @ronsarlo reposted it.

He credited me when a mutual friend of ours was like "hey guess what, you're vancouver-famous!". So...whoops. Buddy needs to be on RS.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote