REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Protein Bars (https://www.revscene.net/forums/675556-protein-bars.html)

ewong 10-21-2012 09:26 PM

Protein Bars

Hey

I've been trying to find a replacement for the energy bars I normally get or find another place I can get them in bulk. I use to buy Cliff bars from Superstore till they stopped selling them. I later switched to Energize Me bars that I could buy in bulk at Costco. Now Costco stopped selling them, so I am kinda in need to switch to another brand or find some place that would sell them in bulk as well.

So my question is which energy/ protein bars do people here like to use?

Also, does anyone know where I might find Energize Me bars in bulk.

Thanks

kwy 10-21-2012 09:36 PM

Why not go with whey protein shakes? Better for you and because its in liquid form it is absorbed and utilized by your body much faster. You'll probably save a bunch of money as well.

bcrdukes 10-21-2012 10:13 PM

I buy Clif Builder Bars from Costco. Sadly, they only have them in one size/box and limited to two flavours (not that I care.) There are other brands sold at Costco (vegan / 100% organic, the list goes on etc.) but the Clif ones fit the bill and work well for me.

I use them when I go out for long rides and know I will not have access to food right away. Otherwise, when I get home, it's usually a whey protein powder from Costco that dhillon09 introduced to me (Kaizen?) - green bottle/jug.

kcl38 10-21-2012 10:16 PM

Not sure what the brand was but I used to get the bars in a white and red box from Costco. I'm pretty sure they weren't Cliff bars. I liked them because they were the highest protein to lowest sugar ratio. :D

Matlock 10-21-2012 10:31 PM

Elevate Me! Natural protein bars and fruit energy bar ELEVATE ME!

You can get them at Costco. They are awesome. Made with fruit and whey. No bullshit chemical ingredients that no one understands. I think they are also local.

noTirl 10-21-2012 10:33 PM

i eat detour bars from costco. they have a relatively low sugar content and taste alright.

ewong 10-21-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matlock (Post 8061263)

You can get them at Costco. They are awesome. Made with fruit and whey. No bullshit chemical ingredients that no one understands. I think they are also local.

Sadly they don't sell them at Costco anymore. Not at least at the Willingdon or Burquiltlam location anymore

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8061250)
I buy Clif Builder Bars from Costco. Sadly, they only have them in one size/box and limited to two flavours (not that I care.) There are other brands sold at Costco (vegan / 100% organic, the list goes on etc.) but the Clif ones fit the bill and work well for me.

I use them when I go out for long rides and know I will not have access to food right away. Otherwise, when I get home, it's usually a whey protein powder from Costco that dhillon09 introduced to me (Kaizen?) - green bottle/jug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwy (Post 8061215)
Why not go with whey protein shakes? Better for you and because its in liquid form it is absorbed and utilized by your body much faster. You'll probably save a bunch of money as well.

Yeah I hate the Peanut Butter ones, I use to love buying the Chocolate Chips and Almonds in bulk at superstore.

I'm looking for protein bars mostly for a snack while I am travelling to and from work and not quite home for food. I use protein shakes for post work outs and stuff.

J-Chow 10-22-2012 04:42 AM

I've purchased 3 different types of protein bars from Costco; Protein, Detour, and Cliff.

Protein brand has the most protein, 30gs in a bar, whereas the last 2 brands have a lot less, like 15-20. If you want more protein, then your choice would be the first brand, but be advised, it doesn't taste too good and it's fairly chewy and dry.

I'm currently working on the Detour bars and they taste pretty good, similar to that of a tasty chocolate bar.

Haven't tested out the cliff bars yet, so I can't comment on them.

BossFrancis 10-22-2012 06:56 AM

:heckno: CLIF Builder Bars
I find that they leave a nasty aftertaste, would much rather go with protein powder.

ewong 10-22-2012 06:03 PM

I've tried the Protein brand, not a fan of those. It's pretty blah in taste. I might look into Detour bars, if I am unable to locate any Energize Me bars sold in bulk/boxes.

I did see Energize Me bars for sale at Save on Foods for $3.00 a bar. What a rip off

The_Situation 10-22-2012 09:27 PM

I love the cliff builder bars. Its like eating a chocolate bar.

highres604 10-31-2012 09:52 AM

that's because you are eating a chocolate bar. Look at the ingredients for that clif bar. Might as well wrap a toblerone in a slice of bread and eat it. Same thing.

the only bar at costco that is semi healthy is the protein brand. Yes, they taste like shit. That's how you know they are healthy. -_-

6793026 10-31-2012 02:04 PM

http://www.ptpamedia.com/blog/wp-con...it-Grains1.png

i know these aren't protein bars, but it's great. expensive but every ingredient on the bar is natural with no preservatives and you can pronounce it... i love it... then agian, they ain't protein

The_Situation 10-31-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highres604 (Post 8069415)
that's because you are eating a chocolate bar. Look at the ingredients for that clif bar. Might as well wrap a toblerone in a slice of bread and eat it. Same thing.

the only bar at costco that is semi healthy is the protein brand. Yes, they taste like shit. That's how you know they are healthy. -_-

The purpose of a protein bar is for the protein. I don't see any toblerone bars with 20g of protein

bcrdukes 10-31-2012 03:06 PM

lol

DaFonz 10-31-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Situation (Post 8069622)
The purpose of a protein bar is for the protein. I don't see any toblerone bars with 20g of protein

.. or you could eat a toblerone bar and drink a protein shake...

Protein bars are glorified chocolate bars.

mikemhg 11-02-2012 10:02 AM

^ Really stupid post.

skiiipi 11-02-2012 03:37 PM

Quest Bars by Quest Nutrition at Bodybuilding.com - Lowest Prices on Quest Bars!

my favorite bars
low calorie, high protein, high fiber
taste great too
i go strawberry cheesecake for the lowest sodium content, and lowest calories

Supafly 11-02-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matlock (Post 8061263)

Yes.
They also have stepped up their game a notch....I audited them last year...:fullofwin:

Majestic12 11-02-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 8071598)
Quest Bars by Quest Nutrition at Bodybuilding.com - Lowest Prices on Quest Bars!

my favorite bars
low calorie, high protein, high fiber
taste great too
i go strawberry cheesecake for the lowest sodium content, and lowest calories

I was going to suggest Quest bars too. They are great, and very low in sugar/carbohydrates while maxing out the protein. They taste pretty good though, at least the ones I've tried.

vanle 11-18-2012 11:34 AM

vector bars are pretty good