REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-19-2016, 09:11 PM   #226
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Going right up against the 570S and the LP580.

Hard choice between the 3.
Advertisement
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:04 PM   #227
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Canadian pesos for base models

R8 v10. $171
Nsx $189
911 gt3 $201
911 turbo s. $215
Lp580 $220
Vantage v12 $245
Lp610 $265
650s $287
458/488 well over $300
Old 01-19-2016, 11:15 PM   #228
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Canadian pesos for base models

R8 v10. $171
Nsx $189
911 gt3 $201
911 turbo s. $215
Lp580 $220
Vantage v12 $245
Lp610 $265
650s $287
458/488 well over $300
GT-R Nismo: $149k
2016 Nissan GT-R NISMO | Nissan USA

The GT-R Nismo will smoke pretty much all the cars listed above.

And Ford GT, $400k US. I bet they won't have hard time selling it though.
Ford GT Supercar | Ford Sportscars | Ford.com/fordgt

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:29 PM   #229
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,434 Times in 5,108 Posts
I'm a huge NSX fanboy and I'm just not excited in any way whatsoever by this car. too much technology is a bad thing sometimes... It's more computer than car. I feel no passion looking at it and every review I read/watch the people driving it are struggling to find "something" about it.

It reminds me of new Transformers vs the originals. The kids will love it but all of us who saw the original think it's overstyled overhyped shit.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2016, 11:58 PM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I'm a huge NSX fanboy and I'm just not excited in any way whatsoever by this car. too much technology is a bad thing sometimes... It's more computer than car. I feel no passion looking at it and every review I read/watch the people driving it are struggling to find "something" about it.

It reminds me of new Transformers vs the originals. The kids will love it but all of us who saw the original think it's overstyled overhyped shit.
Do you watch Jay Leno's Garage on Youtube? If you don't, I think you should.

I can't remember what episode out of my head, but what makes Jay Leno different from your typical car journalists and Auto TV show is that, Jay looks at Japanese cars quite differently.

Jay's quote was something like this:
"You know how people, including that British Automotive Show(referring to Top Gear) say how Japanese car manufactures and their cars have no soul or passion? That is just not true. I know many Japanese engineers and executives from Japanese car manufactures.. and they are extremely passionate about cars. They talk about cars on and on and on...."
Jay also visits Japan every once in a while, and he was explaining how Japanese people are extremely passionate about cars.

Mizuno-san for example, is known for his stubborn personality because he wanted to build the GT-R utterly without compromise. He wanted to make a supercar that can kill Ferrari and Lambo, but still be a grocery getter and driving in the snow. He called it "Multi-Performance Supercar"
Mr. Soichiro Honda, he was obsessed with killing Ferrari at F1 racing. Also his passion for motorcycle and aviation was huge.
Those were just small examples, but Japanese do have their own heritage, soul and passion. It's just that many people do not see it.

Last edited by Timpo; 01-22-2016 at 12:05 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2016, 08:01 AM   #231
Performance Moderator

^
What's your point?

I said the original NSX is my favourite car, it has tonnes of soul and passion... this car does not emote anything and has absolutely nothing in common with the original NSX besides the name, so there's no sense of heritage from it. It's not like the mastery of technique is lost on me... one of my favourite videos I ever watched on YouTube is how Lexus crafts the wooden steering wheel for their LS sedan.

Nevermind the fact this car was styled by an American white woman, not a Japanese person... which pretty much invalidates everything you just said.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2016, 08:27 AM   #232
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,494 Times in 1,691 Posts
The problem with the NSX is that it doesn't have a soul because so much technology is crammed in the car.

The exhaust note is weaksauce.
Where is the thrill and excitement from the performance and handling of this car?

NSX. The S stand for soulless.

That being said, I still think we'll see this car in Ricemond.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #233

Quote:
^
What's your point?

I said the original NSX is my favourite car, it has tonnes of soul and passion... this car does not emote anything and has absolutely nothing in common with the original NSX besides the name, so there's no sense of heritage from it. It's not like the mastery of technique is lost on me... one of my favourite videos I ever watched on YouTube is how Lexus crafts the wooden steering wheel for their LS sedan.

Nevermind the fact this car was styled by an American white woman, not a Japanese person... which pretty much invalidates everything you just said.
So in your definition, cars like Ferrari Enzo, Dodge Viper, etc. do not have soul because they were designed by Japanese people.

Just because the car has same name and different look, doesn't mean they don't have soul.

Mustang and Camaro from 60s and 90s are completely different. Same as Corvette.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
The problem with the NSX is that it doesn't have a soul because so much technology is crammed in the car.

The exhaust note is weaksauce.
Where is the thrill and excitement from the performance and handling of this car?

NSX. The S stand for soulless.

That being said, I still think we'll see this car in Ricemond.
Supercars nowadays are more about technological showcase. Whether you like it or not.
McLaren P1, LaFerrari, Porshce 918, Acura NSX, they're all hybrids with loads of technology. Sure, people can say they don't have soul but I can guarantee you that those cars were built by very passionate people.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #235
Performance Moderator

Timpo, your reading comprehension skills need work. Show me anywhere in any post I've made that negates a car from having a soul because it was designed by Japanese people?

I don't know why you keep reading things that I didn't write, you're a weird dude. I would also argue that you're wrong, the Mustang / Camaro / Corvette today are easily related to the original. Maybe the Corvette is less so, but the Mustang 100% has dozens of design cues on it from the 1964.5 model -- nevermind that the basic premise has never changed, being a RWD V8 car. The goal has never changed for the car -- provide muscle car power in a package that's affordable and can still be daily driven. The new NSX has none of the same goals the original NSX did (unless giving Acura a halo car is a goal), it's heavy (!!!! complete opposite), complicated (!!), it's automatic (!), it's AWD to a certain extent, it relies on turbo power which is delivered in a non-linear nature and, as such, compromises the handling experience, and can change its demeanour entirely by a control knob. That's not interesting to a car enthusiast... it's exciting to play with from a technology perspective, but it eliminates your chances of creating an emotional connection with the car.

Just because you have passion for your work, doesn't mean you know how to create art. My dad is an electrical engineer and he got into crochet years ago when he had heart problems, his crochets were PERFECT, every single stitch and loop was exactly to the instructions... but were they beautiful? Arguable.

I would say people who work at Pagani and Porsche are equally as passionate about their work... but the Zonda/Huayra are works of art as much as they are super cars... the 918 not so much. It feels cold, like a device designed to perform functions.

The problem with creating art is that you can't set out to create it. It just happens as part of the process... engineering minded people get confused by this, they don't understand things that aren't an equation or a goal to be achieved.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:07 PM   #236
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
I can never tell if hes trolling, pretending to be stupid, actually is stupid, or is a mod's second account used to stir up conversation.

What he is tho, is a great way to kill threads with redundant uselessness. Who wants to have a discussion when the replies are constantly irrelevant or unrelated.

A: The new nsx doesnt connect the driver to the car the way the old one did. It doesn't make you feel like its an extension of your body, it feels more like you're driving a really efficient microwave oven.
Timpo: Yes it does, it has bluetooth conectivity, the old one only had a tape deck.
A: no thats not what i ment, you missunderstood me
Timpo: yes I did, the GTR is much faster
Old 01-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #237
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Quote:
^
What's your point?

Yep. agreed.

only thing the new NSX and the old one shares is the name.

not even the spirit of the original is carried over.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #238
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 2,331 Times in 213 Posts
Frosty NSX

Seeing it in that state car looks pretty incredible
Old 01-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #239

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
even if it's nothing close to the NA1/NA2 i'm just happy Acura/Honda is making a sports car again

it's come a long way too.

Acura Advanced Concept 2007 (V10 2010 target)

Long wheelbase S2000 test mule 2008

real test mule 2008 (later became the HSV)

Avengers roadster concept 2011

Concept 2012

Mid-Ohio Prototype 2013

Prototype 2014

Production 2015
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #240

Quote:
Timpo, your reading comprehension skills need work. Show me anywhere in any post I've made that negates a car from having a soul because it was designed by Japanese people?

I don't know why you keep reading things that I didn't write, you're a weird dude. I would also argue that you're wrong, the Mustang / Camaro / Corvette today are easily related to the original. Maybe the Corvette is less so, but the Mustang 100% has dozens of design cues on it from the 1964.5 model -- nevermind that the basic premise has never changed, being a RWD V8 car. The goal has never changed for the car -- provide muscle car power in a package that's affordable and can still be daily driven. The new NSX has none of the same goals the original NSX did (unless giving Acura a halo car is a goal), it's heavy (!!!! complete opposite), complicated (!!), it's automatic (!), it's AWD to a certain extent, it relies on turbo power which is delivered in a non-linear nature and, as such, compromises the handling experience, and can change its demeanour entirely by a control knob. That's not interesting to a car enthusiast... it's exciting to play with from a technology perspective, but it eliminates your chances of creating an emotional connection with the car.

Just because you have passion for your work, doesn't mean you know how to create art. My dad is an electrical engineer and he got into crochet years ago when he had heart problems, his crochets were PERFECT, every single stitch and loop was exactly to the instructions... but were they beautiful? Arguable.

I would say people who work at Pagani and Porsche are equally as passionate about their work... but the Zonda/Huayra are works of art as much as they are super cars... the 918 not so much. It feels cold, like a device designed to perform functions.

The problem with creating art is that you can't set out to create it. It just happens as part of the process... engineering minded people get confused by this, they don't understand things that aren't an equation or a goal to be achieved.
That was just an example. You seem to think NSX does not have a soul because it was designed by American white woman.
So what if new NSX was designed by a Japanese guy? Does that make it different?

The reason why I brought an example of Ferrari Enzo was that it's a Japanese design, not Italian. Same with Dodge Viper, it's a Japanese design, not American. Do they have less soul just because of that? They're both world's renown sportscars.

Also Mustang and Camaro, they sure did change. Just like NSX.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
I can never tell if hes trolling, pretending to be stupid, actually is stupid, or is a mod's second account used to stir up conversation.

What he is tho, is a great way to kill threads with redundant uselessness. Who wants to have a discussion when the replies are constantly irrelevant or unrelated.

A: The new nsx doesnt connect the driver to the car the way the old one did. It doesn't make you feel like its an extension of your body, it feels more like you're driving a really efficient microwave oven.
Timpo: Yes it does, it has bluetooth conectivity, the old one only had a tape deck.
A: no thats not what i ment, you missunderstood me
Timpo: yes I did, the GTR is much faster
I don't know how you could know if it's like driving a microwave oven.

I am not against technology, I'm all for it.

I don't know why you guys are complaining about it doesn't feel like extension of your body. It's not like you're driving a pick up truck, minivan, Ford Crown Victoria, etc.

In my experience, almost all high end sportscars do feel like extension of your body, yes some are less or more so, but I have never experienced negative effect simply because of sophisticated technology.

I think that best driving ergonomics, handling response, braking response, sight(how big the windows are, how easy to see outside) all play role in this.

NSX, 918, P1 are all sophisticated machine, if I ever have a chance to drive one, I would expect them to drive like what it wants to do like a magic carpet.

Quite the contrary, I believe technology would actually make the car helps feel like it is part of your body.
Have you ever driven first generation Dodge Viper? If you tap on gas lightly, it will spin out of control. Yes, it is "raw" to some people and they think it's good because there's less technology, but it sure did not feel like part of my body because I had to be careful not to spin out of control.
Heavily modded Nissan Silvia, Toyota MR2, all the same thing. You need to be careful of big turbo lag, it might give you unintentional explosive power.
However computer might be able to solve this problem. Either by using better engine mapping and traction control.

If you drive MGB, Spitfitre, NA Miata, AW11 MR2, it would feel like you have to be concentrated on not going out of control because it will do something unpredictable if you're not careful. Same as hard braking, they do not have ABS and I did not find that to be pleasant.

Basically, how it fits your body(just like motorcycle) and how responsive to braking, acceleration, handling are most important part for this.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #242
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
That was just an example. You seem to think NSX does not have a soul because it was designed by American white woman.
So what if new NSX was designed by a Japanese guy? Does that make it different?

The reason why I brought an example of Ferrari Enzo was that it's a Japanese design, not Italian. Same with Dodge Viper, it's a Japanese design, not American. Do they have less soul just because of that? They're both world's renown sportscars.

Also Mustang and Camaro, they sure did change. Just like NSX.

Its body work is designed by japanese... true. but the engineering is all italian.

same goes with viper.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:00 PM   #243
My homepage has been set to RS

so many proto types of this car...then they finally make the production car, everyone bitches and complains its not like the old one blah blah blah...fuck 99% wont even be able to afford this car anyways lol...other then that I would never pay the amount of money for this glorified Honda...
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:24 PM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
so many proto types of this car...then they finally make the production car, everyone bitches and complains its not like the old one blah blah blah...fuck 99% wont even be able to afford this car anyways lol...other then that I would never pay the amount of money for this glorified Honda...
Stop complaining just because it's a Honda. Sure it's nice to have Ferrari or Lamborghini badge for some people, but as a car, it's not bad at all.

Here are some expensive cars from cheap brand names.

Nissan GT-R

Ford GT

Honda NSX

Dodge Viper
Old 01-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #245
My homepage has been set to RS

timpo your just butt hurt you wont be able to afford one!
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:13 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
timpo your just butt hurt you wont be able to afford one!
OWNED.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:32 PM   #247
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

iHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2016, 06:42 AM   #248
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Jay's Garage makes the new NSX seem cool and desirable

sidenote: Exterior designer lady is pretty hot IMO
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:37 AM   #249
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Acura NSX 2017 | Acura.com

NSX Builder!
Cwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #250
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Wait... Canadian MSRP is 189k for NSX?

That's a hot price considering it's only 142k USD... and US starts at 168k USD. Making CDN NSX the cheapest on earth.