REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #101
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,448 Times in 5,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post

It is like the dark times of the automotive world, from 1974-1986 when the west fell out of love with cars. Now we love them too much and expect cars to have computers, GPS, blue tooth, yaw control, backup cameras, heated seats, 200 page operating manuals with 50 pages alone on the pop up screen and every function. 600+ hp yet speed limits have not changed, it is like passion for cars is buried under the demand for gimmicks.

Last time I went looking at cars, everything in the interior looked too nice to touch.
THIS. Holy fuck driving new cars makes me want to blow my brains out from boredom. Yah they are nice and quiet and smooth but they're just as disconnected (from an emotional perspective) as a 1980's American sedan was from the roads they purportedly drove (floated?) down -- new cars put you to sleep and should come with bibs to wipe drool up with.

I know some people that write car reviews and all they go on about is fucking gadgets. You know how many retards I see every day in Richmond backing up staring at their dash now while unbeknownst to them a car is coming from the side they can't see? Yah sure it says to make sure to look around but do any of these tools ever do that? Nope! Thank goodness though for all the Darwin Award children that aren't getting rolled on anymore though!

We just got a new Honda Accord at work and I went to change lanes in it the other day and it's got a bloody camera to show you your blindspot... Cuz you know... It's way too fuckin hard to turn your head? Seriously when did we become a society so full of jerkoff pussies that can't do anything for ourselves? The Orcs were right, the age of men is dead. It won't be much longer until dudes are using apps to have someone come fuck their women for them because its too messy and sweaty to do it themselves. Progress my ass.

(Jason if you make that app and get rich I want 50% hahaha)
Advertisement
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #102
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
We just got a new Honda Accord at work and I went to change lanes in it the other day and it's got a bloody camera to show you your blindspot... Cuz you know... It's way too fuckin hard to turn your head? Seriously when did we become a society so full of jerkoff pussies that can't do anything for ourselves? The Orcs were right, the age of men is dead. It won't be much longer until dudes are using apps to have someone come fuck their women for them because its too messy and sweaty to do it themselves. Progress my ass.

(Jason if you make that app and get rich I want 50% hahaha)
Funny that you criticize Honda's new "blind-spot monitoring" system because that's the same system that's been criticized for being more of a distraction, with the same impression shared by myself when I drove a 2015 Civic with the same system.

Why the hell would I want to look at the centre stack when I'm changing lanes to see what's beside me?
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #103
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Funny that you criticize Honda's new "blind-spot monitoring" system because that's the same system that's been criticized for being more of a distraction, with the same impression shared by myself when I drove a 2015 Civic with the same system.

Why the hell would I want to look at the centre stack when I'm changing lanes to see what's beside me?
Yah, I didn't spend long enough driving the car around, but my first thoughts that were it caught my eyes all the time and made me hesitate and look there for a split second which translates into hesitation changing lanes with things moving around you which translates into extremely irritated drivers around you... I would think after awhile you can break that, but why have to do it in the first place? It's really quite silly.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #104
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Its meant so you can minimize the time you take your eyes off the road in front of you. Usually you would mirror, signal, shoulder check. With the system you can just mirror signal then look at the screen which you can revert to looking forward again in a shorter time.

I can see the hesitation when you first drive the car but once you get a feel for it and trust the system it can help as sometimes things change in front of you the split second that you take to shoulder check. Its almost like the blind spot monitoring systems some cars have now, its a silly thing to some but its technological advancement that can ultimately make roads safer.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #105
Performance Moderator

I guess I don't agree that it makes the roads safer... it takes thinking and foresight out of the driver and allows people to get lazy. Maybe you are a capable thinker and understand how the process is shortened, but I guarantee you that you're in a very small minority. I noticed with the Accord that I lowered my eyes off the road down toward the centre console, whereas with looking my eyes stay level out the windshield and I just dart my head over quickly to scan... so I felt way less safe looking downward and re-focusing onto an LCD screen in the dash to see what was there. Nevermind the fact it only works for right lane changes (obviously), you still gotta look for left changes so now you have a 2 tier system in the car... not that anyone in Vancouver EVER drives anywhere but the fast lane anyway.

Even the lane change warning indicators are retarded, I drove an S-Class for a few days with that on it and just regular traffic driving where I was NOT cutting people off that thing was squawking at me constantly telling me it wasn't safe to change lanes... ain't nobody got time to wait for their car to tell them it's safe enough to do whatever they got to do in Vancouver... Just turn your fool head and look for yourself!

The only thing that makes roads safer is proper driver training... which we have NEVER had in North America.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2014, 12:15 AM   #106
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
I know certain car enthusiasts might complain about gadgets but car manufactures are not stupid, they're just building according to customer demand.

those gadgets aren't cheap, but car manufactures are still willing to put it in.
if you build cars like KTM X-Bow, Campagna T-Rex or Polaris Slingshot, they won't attract majority of people.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2014, 02:03 AM   #107

Quote:
Even the lane change warning indicators are retarded, I drove an S-Class for a few days with that on it and just regular traffic driving where I was NOT cutting people off that thing was squawking at me constantly telling me it wasn't safe to change lanes... ain't nobody got time to wait for their car to tell them it's safe enough to do whatever they got to do in Vancouver... Just turn your fool head and look for yourself!
The number of times I've been cut off by cars with their side mirror blind spot indicators lit up RED is laughable. Seriously, I know more people than I'd like to admit who actually have not a single clue what the majority of the gadgets in their MBs Audis or BMWs do.

I'm the small minority of those who would be happily content with a tech-free car (aside from Bluetooth phone and audio capabilities). I'm even hesitant to switch to a double DIN deck with a screen, preferring a standard single DIN because I know it will just become one more thing to look at and just another distraction. All these digital dashes, touchscreen this and that, blind spot monitor this and that.

Drivers will eventually become completely retarded and dependant on these things if this continues.

I can fully understand and appreciate technological advancements, which I'm sure this new NSX is filled to the brim with, but at a certain point in time someone has to step in and create something holistic and back-to-the-roots, (FRS/86/BRZ though that sort of came and went with a big meh).
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Old 12-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #108
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
You get used to the BSM. I thought it was stupid at first as well, but now I'm totally used to checking it, similar to my backup camera, once you grow accustomed to it, it just becomes another tool.

My method of changing lanes, is now to check my mirror, flip on my signal, shoulder check, and while im turning back to face front I quickly verify the BSM in the mirror, then I make my lane change.

My only concern with systems like this, is people who learn on vehicles with this crap, then when they hop in a car without it they can't drive for shit.

I learned how to drive on a manual transmission car that didn't even have cruise control, I think thats how everyone needs to learn how to drive.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #109

Quote:
The number of times I've been cut off by cars with their side mirror blind spot indicators lit up RED is laughable. Seriously, I know more people than I'd like to admit who actually have not a single clue what the majority of the gadgets in their MBs Audis or BMWs do.

I'm the small minority of those who would be happily content with a tech-free car (aside from Bluetooth phone and audio capabilities). I'm even hesitant to switch to a double DIN deck with a screen, preferring a standard single DIN because I know it will just become one more thing to look at and just another distraction. All these digital dashes, touchscreen this and that, blind spot monitor this and that.

Drivers will eventually become completely retarded and dependant on these things if this continues.

I can fully understand and appreciate technological advancements, which I'm sure this new NSX is filled to the brim with, but at a certain point in time someone has to step in and create something holistic and back-to-the-roots, (FRS/86/BRZ though that sort of came and went with a big meh).
this happens in aviation to an extent
Old 12-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #110
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Its funny all these new gadgets in cars and as far as I can tell they don't come with signal lights anymore
Old 12-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #111
Performance Moderator

Or anything that tells you that you're driving everywhere with your damn highbeams on. That always gets me full rage mode.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #112

Quote:
Or anything that tells you that you're driving everywhere with your damn highbeams on. That always gets me full rage mode.
I see people without light on during night too.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #113
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Last time I saw someone crash into the railing in Gastown and nearly take out a bunch of people it was some young guy trying to program his GPS while driving...
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #114
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Drivers will eventually become completely retarded and dependent on these things if this continues.
yes and eventually human drivers will not exist.

just like you're completely dependent on much of the technological advances that didn't exist 2000 years ago.

you don't know how to hunt, skin, and preserve and animal for feeding. cuz you don't need to. something else does it for u.

dependence isn't bad. it just means something is advanced enough that we don't need to waste any effort or time doing it anymore.

don't view automation as some separate entity... view it as hyper evolution of the human race. The automation IS you.

I for one, cannot wait for the day where human drivers are banned. All cars should be automated.

the only place humans should be allowed to drive are on the track, for fun.

Your want/need to be independent of technology, does not exceed the probability of risk due to human error over the long run.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #115
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

jaemc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #116
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Starting mid $150k est.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #117
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
ill just wait to win the lottery once they offer an R model
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #118
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
that video was painful blah blah blah "the engine responds to drivers inputs" blah blah blah

a transit bus responds to drivers input too, why not show us some engine cutaways or something useful
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #119
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I'm really not feeling that front grille...
db2 #51 - garage queen/summer daily
golf mk3 - 2016 winter beater [sold]
ae92 - 2017 spring beater
Cillu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #120
My homepage has been set to RS

the car that no average joe will attain!
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #121

Need to see how this thing drives, or more importantly, feels. Doesn't matter how fast it is, as long as it's amazing to drive unlike the GTR, it should live up to the old one in spirit at least.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:06 AM   #122
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
That pricing is a little worrisome.

The NSX even in 2005, was less than $90K. Which adjusted for today's value puts it at the $105k.

I get they are going for an even higher end market, but the original NSX was already criticized for it's price, I think this one will be as well.

The other part that worries me is that they are "estimating" it at 150k. What happens if by the time they announce pricing its actually nearer to 200K?

Before 2010 this car might have brought something to the table, but today, I just don't see this thing changing the game much.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #123
Need my Daily Fix of RS

car is no longer jdm
123654123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #124
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
standalone of the promo that was in the video above...

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #125
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
God damn that car is beautiful. Seeing that part of the video where they show the legend, integra gsr, nsx, and tl type s gives me hope that they know what we want.

NSX wont be in my budget for a while unfortunately, but a TLX Type-S or something man acura make it happen!

Also wheels look like the ever so popular in vancouver PUR wheels lol

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote