REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
I subscribe to Revscene

TFSA question (tax implications related)

Probably a silly question but I couldn't get a straight answer from my bank so I was hoping someone here could shed some light on an issue for me:

TLDR:
-have money sitting in mutual fund TFSA account
-want ability to actively trade with a trading TFSA account
-does selling current holdings in MF TFSA account to transfer cash to trading TFSA account constitute a recontribution?

Context:
I currently have money tucked away in a tfsa account at TD bank in one of their mutual funds (ugh!) with 2-3% in management fees. I realized I was leaving money on the table so I decided that I wanted to open up a TFSA with TD Waterhouse to do some small trades here and there and to buy some ETFs that essentially have the same holdings/weightings. My problem is that my TFSA account with TD Bank is currently maxed out for contributions. I figured I would need to sell my current holdings and transfer that cash into the Waterhouse TFSA account.

I'm wondering if, for tax purposes, this transaction would be considered a disposal and a subsequent recontribution (which iirc isn't allowed since I'm already maxed), or am I free to buy and sell within any TFSA accounts as long as I'm not putting "new" money in?

TIA
Advertisement
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
What you need to do is transfer your TFSA from your managed TD account to a Waterhouse account. I had an existing savings TFSA at ING that was maxed out so I could not withdraw and redeposit much like you as that would definitely be considered going over your limit for the year. What happens is there is a mechanism to transfer from one TFSA to another for exactly this reason. You open a new Waterhouse TFSA trading account which will then have $0 in it. Once the account is open, they will help you with the paperwork to transfer from your other TFSA. You will likely need to cash in your existing mutual funds as I doubt they can be ported over. However, this way you will avoid recontributing and going over your limit.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Old 10-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

The maximum contribution is $5000 per year since 2009 and just as long as you do over contribute those amounts , you will not be penalized by the CRA.

The bank will ask you to sign a T2033 to transfer registered (TFSA) funds from your TD securities account to your self directed trading account. This includes transfer to other financial institutions/ banks.

No tax implication on TFSA funds from a sale or transfers just as long as the funds are within the TFSA platform.
This post thanked by: