REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
I don't get it

Excessive speeding ticket...

Aight it was on June 22/12 i was in saanich and got charged with excessive speeding traveling at 125 in 80 zone on the highway... my original fine was under section 148(1) and the ticket was 368$.
At first i disputed the ticket to obtain my class 5 license so i dont have to deal with another 2 years of N driving.
When i got the hearing date i opted for pleading guilty and mailed my letter to the court asking in reduction of the fine...
Now i got 2 letters in mail one was under section 148(1) excessive speeding and the fine was reduced to 300$ but i also got another letter under section 146(3) speeding contrary highway sign. Ticket is 196$ :S

My question here is how could i get charged for something that wasn't even on my ticket in the first place? Any insight would be helpful

Thanks in advance
Advertisement

Last edited by bloodline129; 10-25-2012 at 12:02 PM.
bloodline129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
This is why you should have paid it right away, and not bother disputing something that you won't win...
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High View Post
This is why you should have paid it right away, and not bother disputing something that you won't win...
At first i disputed the ticket to obtain my class 5 license so i dont have to deal with another 2 years of N driving.

i know alot of people that do that and it actually works out well, once you have your class 5 it takes alot more to lose you licence
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

^^I did that as well! Got my class 5 then went to court pleaded guilty then had to pay the fine at least I got my class 5 or else I would have lost my N and had to restart another 2 years.
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
I don't get it

I just don't understand how all of a sudden i got a 2nd. ticket for driving contrary the highway sign :S cop just gave me one ticket for excessive speeding and impounded the car... its given that im driving contrary the highway sign since i was speeding, but how come i got that ticket given to me... shouldn't it be illegal to add on tickets afterwards lol ?

ticket was given for section 148(1) excessive speeding... i go and dispute it get my class 5 and then plead guilty...
got letter for 148(1) and 146(3) and the second one wasn't even on the ticket like WTF :S confused
Old 10-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Maybe you should ask them. Either a mistake or they wanted to stick it to you. Find out.
DasHooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
As ^ said, call them and ask to be sure...but it sounds like they realized what you were doing and decided to stick you.

In which case, why would you even bother to call. You basically bought your class 5 after you deserved to wait another 2 years for it.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Maybe the second ticket was a "revision" as the officer wrote down 148(1) which is speeding within a municipality, but the correct section would be speeding contrary to a high way sign since you were on a highway. Just call to make sure what is going on.
10-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-9 View Post
Maybe the second ticket was a "revision" as the officer wrote down 148(1) which is speeding within a municipality, but the correct section would be speeding contrary to a high way sign since you were on a highway. Just call to make sure what is going on.
S. 148(1) MVA is Excessive Speed.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post

i know alot of people that do that and it actually works out well, once you have your class 5 it takes alot more to lose you licence
I know "a lot" of people who don't excessively speed. It actually works out well, you don't need to dispute tickets or pay money for them when you get caught. You also don't have to worry about ever losing your licence.

You might want to try it sometime. Or just keep doing what you're doing... and posting in this forum, looking for ways to not accept responsibility for your actions. Yeah, that's awesome.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
I know "a lot" of people who don't excessively speed. It actually works out well, you don't need to dispute tickets or pay money for them when you get caught. You also don't have to worry about ever losing your licence.

You might want to try it sometime. Or just keep doing what you're doing... and posting in this forum, looking for ways to not accept responsibility for your actions. Yeah, that's awesome.

To start of, you are an IDIOT... My questions didn't hint of anyways me trying to get out of it. Question was simple how come i could be charged with something that a ticket wasn't given in the first place.

I get the fact i was speeding and the ticket reflect it under section 148(1)
I'm not denying or taking up anyone's time defending myself with bullshit...
The thing that pisses me of is the fact that i got charged and prosecuted for a completely UNKNOWN ticket to me. Also one thing i don't understand is tacking on a ticket for driving contrary a highway sign is kind of ridiculous since its given that u driving contrary the sign as u got a SPEEDING ticket for it as is....

Excessive speeding/speeding/driving contrary the highway sign is the same thing to a point... Imagine a cop pulls you over and gives u all 3 of these at the same time? They all essentially say the same thing... u were disobeying the traffic laws... and were speeding....

Guess ill just have to find out how to contact them since there is no phone number on any of the paperwork to do so

Thanks for your replies all btw.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Woah dude... I was mocking Snail's post and playing devil's advocate... but if you're gonna call ME an idiot...

If you are a crappy enough driver to get caught going 125 in an 80 zone.... then you don't deserve that licence, you piece of crap.

You deserve more than just those three tickets. Stay the f off the roads if you're going to drive like a maniac.

There... happy E-thug?
Old 10-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Woah dude... I was mocking Snail's post and playing devil's advocate... but if you're gonna call ME an idiot...

If you are a crappy enough driver to get caught going 125 in an 80 zone.... then you don't deserve that licence, you piece of crap.

You deserve more than just those three tickets. Stay the f off the roads if you're going to drive like a maniac.

There... happy E-thug?

read in context, i was replying to his post about disputing and the reason to dispute, as an N driver you can lose your licence for almost anything, so it makes sense to dispute if you are close to getting your class 5, of course no one should be doing 125 in an 80.

look above my post, ive even bolded what i was replying to...
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
S. 148(1) MVA is Excessive Speed.
oops, read wrong. I thought it said 146(1), but then again why would be get 146(1) for "Excessive". I need a nap .

You should just call. Have you compared the letters to see if the tickets are for the same occurrence?
Old 10-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline129 View Post
To start of, you are an IDIOT... My questions didn't hint of anyways me trying to get out of it. Question was simple how come i could be charged with something that a ticket wasn't given in the first place.

I get the fact i was speeding and the ticket reflect it under section 148(1)
I'm not denying or taking up anyone's time defending myself with bullshit...
The thing that pisses me of is the fact that i got charged and prosecuted for a completely UNKNOWN ticket to me. Also one thing i don't understand is tacking on a ticket for driving contrary a highway sign is kind of ridiculous since its given that u driving contrary the sign as u got a SPEEDING ticket for it as is....

Excessive speeding/speeding/driving contrary the highway sign is the same thing to a point... Imagine a cop pulls you over and gives u all 3 of these at the same time? They all essentially say the same thing... u were disobeying the traffic laws... and were speeding....

Guess ill just have to find out how to contact them since there is no phone number on any of the paperwork to do so

Thanks for your replies all btw.
no contact number? really? I find that hard to believe. Scan a copy of the letter you received and post it. But even if there wasn't a contact number, there is google. There are non emergency police lines. There are contact numbers for courts. There is also ICBC contacts. There are a ton of ways you can eventually get the number instead of crying about it on RS. You don't even know if the 2 tickets are for the same thing, do you? I really doubt you will get 2 speeding tickets for one incident. I find it hard to believe a cop would charge you for a traffic offence which you were not personally served a ticket.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
I don't get it

Quote:

There... happy E-thug?
Just learn to read and process the information before u talk outta ur a hole buds... No other comment for u.

Yea I compared the letters and they are for the same offense in saanich. There is unfortunately no phone number or anything else listed on the letter so I can inquire more info. I will try calling Icbc and see if they have anything on file... All the letters say is where to pay it and by when.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #17
I don't get it

Ill scan it and post it here just so the bashing can stop and u realize that there's no other info on it
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #18
I don't get it

http://imageshack.us/a/img208/6427/img1206pn.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img594/4573/img1205nj.jpg

there it is.... i personally dont see any contact info or anything...

here is the copy of the original ticket

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/152/img1207x.jpg/

Hope this covers it all As u can see on the ticket there is nothing about section 146(3) 196$ fine for driving contrary to highway sign

Last edited by bloodline129; 10-27-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 10-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #19

Okay. If you look at both letters, the police file numbers are identical, which means only ONE of the letters are valid. The police file number is the same as the violation ticket number. You can even compare them. Only one should be valid because in order for you to be charged with TWO counts of speeding, the original ticket that was served to you must have BOTH charges on it.

Secondly, the first letter is from the actual judge. The second is by the judge's clerk. I have a feeling something got crossed up.

Basically, you can only be convicted/charged for MVA/MVAR offences that have been served to you, with your acknowledgement.

BTW, googled "victoria law courts".

Victoria Court Services (Provincial and Supreme Courts)

2nd Floor - 850 Burdett Avenue

Victoria, B.C. V8W 9J2

Tel: 250 356-1478

Civil Fax: 250 387-3061 or

Criminal Fax: 250 356-6279

Call them and give them your court number, and they will know what is up. Simple.

Last edited by 10-9; 10-27-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #20
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-9 View Post
Okay. If you look at both letters, the police file numbers are identical, which means only ONE of the letters are valid. The police file number is the same as the violation ticket number. You can even compare them. Only one should be valid because in order for you to be charged with TWO counts of speeding, the original ticket that was served to you must have BOTH charges on it.

Secondly, the first letter is from the actual judge. The second is by the judge's clerk. I have a feeling something got crossed up.

Basically, you can only be convicted/charged for MVA/MVAR offences that have been served to you, with your acknowledgement.

BTW, googled "victoria law courts".

Victoria Court Services (Provincial and Supreme Courts)

2nd Floor - 850 Burdett Avenue

Victoria, B.C. V8W 9J2

Tel: 250 356-1478

Civil Fax: 250 387-3061 or

Criminal Fax: 250 356-6279

Call them and give them your court number, and they will know what is up. Simple.
Thank u for shedding some light onto this for me. Appreciate it.
I figured I'll post here 1st. Since I know there's few officers what might be able to explain this to me before I go calling around.
Thx for all the info everyone... Hope all other who have jumped to conclusions and wanted some "e-thuggin" b****slappin. Now u can convince yourself
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #21

PS. take those pictures down so people won't have your personal information.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #22
I don't get it

Done... Thanks
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
I don't get it

Just a update... The actuall fine has been reduced from excessive speeding to driving contrary the highway sign... Nobody there could explain me how both of them got sent out or what happened... Didn't question them for to long neither

Thanks a bunch 10-9er
Posted via RS Mobile