REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 11-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Any heli pilots?

Flying as a career has always been on my mind. I've always had a fascination with helicopters and wanted to see if there were any pilots here? I've done the training research and it seems like there are jobs out there, but the expected wage spread is very large (50k-110k/yr avr.). What could one be expected to make as a commercial heli pilot these days?
Advertisement

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

it all has to do with experience. I know one helicopter pilot, he works for Transport Canada now as an investigator. Its easy to crash a helicopter, but if you are good, the rewards are excellent. It costs a lot to learn to fly. You have to find someplace to start from the ground up.

210 E 4th at Main
Vancouver BC V5T 1G5
Telephone - 604 879 6288
Email jim@overseas-auto.com
Toll Free - 1 800 665 5031

Text 604-836-7278

http://www.overseas-auto.com
http://www.piaalights.com
http://www.weberjets.com
http://www.brightsourcehid.com

MSN Messenger z5551212@hotmail.com

We take Interac, Cash, Visa, MC, Amex,

Open 8-5 Monday to Friday, 11-1 Saturday

We have been supplying quality accessories, parts, tires, wheels for 51 years.
Overseas Auto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
I am looking in to getting my heli license at the moment.

It's around 50k.... a lot more expensive than fixed wing flying.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I'm sure you've come across AVCanada already, but if you haven't, read through there too

AVCANADA • Index page

I don't follow the rotary side of things, it seems quiet there too. AVCANADA • View topic - Helicopter Training Links
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
I don't get it

I have my CPL for Heli. Got it in '07, cant say id recommend the path to others to be honest. Its a tough line to find work, pay is Bad until you have high hours. Most jobs are seasonal, leaving you out of work for 8 months a year. But yea, flying itself, is fun.
Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

I'd work at Mcdonalds on the off season if I had the opportunity to fly even 3 months of the year. I'm in the process of fixed wing PPL and then soon CPL so I can get some financial aid. I knew on my first lesson that I wanted to fly for a living.

I've worked enough crap jobs for crap wage to finally realized I want to do what I love not what I hate just for some extra cash. I've also made a lot of money with crap jobs, just not my thing being unhappy for 12 hours of my day.
Everyones time will come and if you stick with flying then the compensation will follow with time.

/rant
jaggermouth is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

A little bit off topic but,

Is it true that you must be 20/20 vision without corrected lenses (contacts/glasses) or its fine if you wear glasses that correct your vision?
E.D.C.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
I am Hook'd on RS

corrected is fine, a few instructors at the flying club here have glasses although you need to pass a class 1 medical
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Heli is gonna be more than 50k. All flying jobs you make shit money right out of flight school, that's just the reality of it. Heli flying is some of the coolest flying you can do, I'm still considering going the heli route with the Air Force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.D.C.5 View Post
A little bit off topic but,

Is it true that you must be 20/20 vision without corrected lenses (contacts/glasses) or its fine if you wear glasses that correct your vision?
No. I had glasses and have gotten laser surgery and I got into the Air Force.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
I am Hook'd on RS

Must be nice to "consider" any flying with the Air Force. Only way possible for me is upgrading, but hey, they said I'd make a good AME LOL
Try hard in high school, kids
Old 12-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #11
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Heli is gonna be more than 50k. All flying jobs you make shit money right out of flight school, that's just the reality of it. Heli flying is some of the coolest flying you can do, I'm still considering going the heli route with the Air Force.

I'm not sure what your definition is of a Shit load of money right outta school. But that's not how it is in reality unfortunately.
Posted via RS Mobile
Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggermouth View Post
I'd work at Mcdonalds on the off season if I had the opportunity to fly even 3 months of the year. I'm in the process of fixed wing PPL and then soon CPL so I can get some financial aid. I knew on my first lesson that I wanted to fly for a living.

I've worked enough crap jobs for crap wage to finally realized I want to do what I love not what I hate just for some extra cash. I've also made a lot of money with crap jobs, just not my thing being unhappy for 12 hours of my day.
Everyones time will come and if you stick with flying then the compensation will follow with time.

/rant
This is where I'm at. I've had the jobs that pay lots of money for my age/exp. and yeah it was nice but not what I want to do. I know it's alot of money to get a license and will take time to build hours and get experience. I'd love to work in the interior somewhere at a heli-ski operation in the winter and maybe fly offshore in the summer. Who knows. Right now I'm saving money as I don't want to go the student loan route. Prob won't qualify for much anyways given my past earnings.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post

No, to get your basic commercial lic. is right around 50k with various schools. That only gives you 100 hours though, and not any rotary experience. Only piston. But it's a start.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
I wouldn't look at it as a job, unless you have hookups in the private touring/heli taxi industry.

Its crazy fun though.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolomite View Post
I'm not sure what your definition is of a Shit load of money right outta school. But that's not how it is in reality unfortunately.
Posted via RS Mobile
He said shit money, not a shit load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
really?.. some reason im afraid of taking shits after ghost movies.. i always think about what if a ghost's hand came out of the toilet and grabbed my nuts or stuck its hand in my ass -___________-.... i mean if it came outa the mirror id have reaction time to run but the toilets.. thats a pretty good blind spot to sneak up on people from -_____- ...
metal is offline   Reply With Quote