REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
DUI charge

Recently I got my first DUI, I got my license suspended for 24 hours along with my car impounded. I was just wondering how long this will stay on my driver's license for? And how badly will it affect my insurance? Thanks
Advertisement
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

stupid move
zx7rrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #3
misfortune cookie (V)

Thanked 2,716 Times in 422 Posts
Just a heads up.. You might get a notice of intent to prohibit in the mail from the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles telling you that your license will be suspended.

Last edited by LsquareD on 00-00-0000 at 00:00 PM
LsquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx7rrrr View Post
stupid move
Yes I know it was a stupid move and I learned my lesson from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LsquareD View Post
Just a heads up.. You might get a notice of intent to prohibit in the mail from the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles telling you that your license will be suspended.
Thanks, do you know how long it may take to receive this in the mail?
Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
misfortune cookie (V)

Thanked 2,716 Times in 422 Posts
a week or two

Last edited by LsquareD on 00-00-0000 at 00:00 PM
LsquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #6
I don't get it

hopefully never.. small price to pay just be thankful you didnt kill anyone
2007 civic si coupe turbo with 535whp on the mustang dyno (sold)
2010 Dodge ram 1500 quad cab slt (sold)
2003 j's racing s2000 comptech supercharged (parted)
2008 civic si coupe (traded)
2006 toyota 4runner limited (traded)
92 civic eg hatch turbo d16 11.7 quarter (parted)
90 eagle talon (rip)
89 toyota celica gts (sold)
08civicsi_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
I don't get it

It will affect ur insurance royally... You will most likely get a letter of intent to prohibit and to have the interlock device installed... Interlock installation fees and recalibration will be tacked on ur yearly insurance as far as I know...
Posted via RS Mobile
bloodline129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
The amount of misinformation in this thread is surprising, i wish i could fail people.

First of all this will not affect your insurance at all. So dont worry about that

Second, this will basically stay on ur record forever like anything accident, speeding ticket ect. It doesnt go away but it doesnt affect u either.

If u still have your N licence then you should be expecting a letter from the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles to be suspended from driving for like 3 months, If you dont have an N than u dont have to worry about that. Unless u have had many traffic violations in the past, IMO 5-6 violations coupled with this 24hr.

Now the confusing part is that u got a 24hr Prohibition, they rarely ever hand theses out anymore. But dont worry its actually the lesser of all the other charges u could of gotten. Im gonna go out on a limb and say that you didnt blow a fail, you didnt even blow a warning, you blew only abit where the cop found u unfit to drive your vehicle home. So all you gotta do is pay the towing charge, and get your licence back. I forgot how much is cost to get it back, you might not even have to pay to get it back, just pick it up, does it say at which police department where you can pick up ur licence on ur 24hr ticket?
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
I don't get it

Wow ricer... So misinformed

Under changes to the Motor Vehicle Act (MVA), drivers who provide a failing breath sample above 0.08 per cent BAC or refuse to provide a breath sample at the roadside will face an immediate, 90-day driving ban and a $500 fine. As well, they will have their vehicle impounded for 30 days. They may also face criminal charges.

Drivers caught once in the “warn” range (between 0.05 and 0.08 per cent BAC) in a five-year period will face an immediate, three-day driving ban and a $200 fine; a second time, a seven-day ban and a $300 fine; and a third, a 30-day ban and a $400 fine. Research shows that driving with a BAC in that range means a driver is seven times more likely to be in a fatal crash than if they have no alcohol in their body.

In addition, drivers who blow once in the “fail” range, or three times within five years in the “warn” range, will be required to participate in the rehabilitative Responsible Driver Program. They must also use an ignition interlock device, which tests a driver’s breath for alcohol every time they operate their vehicle, for one year.

“B.C.’s measures target impaired drivers more effectively than any Canadian jurisdiction has to date,” said Andrew Murie, CEO of Mothers Against Drunk Driving Canada. “We believe these major, escalating penalties will better support both deterrence and enforcement, save lives and prevent hundreds of injuries each year on B.C.’s roads. We encourage other provinces to study what B.C. is doing and follow its example.”

The new, roadside-issued, 90-day bans mean officers will no longer need to take drivers to the station for a full breath analysis in order to impose a driving ban longer than 24 hours.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,120 Times in 991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline129 View Post
Wow ricer... So misinformed

Under changes to the Motor Vehicle Act (MVA), drivers who provide a failing breath sample above 0.08 per cent BAC or refuse to provide a breath sample at the roadside will face an immediate, 90-day driving ban and a $500 fine. As well, they will have their vehicle impounded for 30 days. They may also face criminal charges.

Drivers caught once in the “warn” range (between 0.05 and 0.08 per cent BAC) in a five-year period will face an immediate, three-day driving ban and a $200 fine; a second time, a seven-day ban and a $300 fine; and a third, a 30-day ban and a $400 fine. Research shows that driving with a BAC in that range means a driver is seven times more likely to be in a fatal crash than if they have no alcohol in their body.

In addition, drivers who blow once in the “fail” range, or three times within five years in the “warn” range, will be required to participate in the rehabilitative Responsible Driver Program. They must also use an ignition interlock device, which tests a driver’s breath for alcohol every time they operate their vehicle, for one year.

“B.C.’s measures target impaired drivers more effectively than any Canadian jurisdiction has to date,” said Andrew Murie, CEO of Mothers Against Drunk Driving Canada. “We believe these major, escalating penalties will better support both deterrence and enforcement, save lives and prevent hundreds of injuries each year on B.C.’s roads. We encourage other provinces to study what B.C. is doing and follow its example.”

The new, roadside-issued, 90-day bans mean officers will no longer need to take drivers to the station for a full breath analysis in order to impose a driving ban longer than 24 hours.
Posted via RS Mobile
That doesn't explain why he was given a 24hr suspension.

According to what you wrote he should have either gotten a 3 day suspension or a 3 month one. Unless the OP got his suspension dates wrong.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
I don't get it

Usually as a novice you get a 24h... Car impounded and letter follows... Tbh I'm not sure about his situation... He would need to provide more info on the circumstances...
Did he blow? What the result was? What type of license does he have? And foremost we need the infraction he got charged for and how many... How long is the impound? And soooo on :S
Other ways we can keep guessing lol...
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
You guys seem to be forgetting, L/N has zero-tolerance for alcohol. OP hasn't mentioned whether he's N or whether he even took a breathalyzer, but putting it all together, my suspicion would be that he does still have his N, and the whiff of alcohol was all the cop needed to hand him a 24-hour without bothering with the breath sample.

Just my guess based on the very limited details OP has given...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #13
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

^ that would be my guess as well, OP was under 0.05 (okay for class 5s) but has an N. If this is the case, OP doesn't have to worry about insurance and/or points and just needs to pay the ticket and impound lot to get the car back. My buddy went through this a few months ago

[edit] unless OP has previous record for tickets/DUI
Posted via RS Mobile
aznkev03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #14

Spoiler!

Gj, u copy and posted something that has no relevance to the OPs situation whatsoever. If he got a warn he would of received a 3day IRP, if he blew a fail he would of gotten a 90day ban. Obviously those didnt happen. Next time think about what ur gonna post before u give out garbage information like his insurance getting fucked royaly.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
I don't get it

And u are makin all the assumption like you know shit... Spare me ya preaching and arguin kiddo... I tried giving him some info and regardless of his situation he can go figure it out...
I'm ver sorry that I offended ur feelings of being right all the time...
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #16
I don't get it

If he has to get the interlock device installed it will get tacked on his insurance... At the end of the day it's up to super intendant to decide what his fortune might be...
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #17

I gave him advice based on the information the OP gave us in his post. U gave him info that does not relate to his situation, plus u assumed he has an N. And the interlock isnt tacked onto his insurance. I dont know where u get ur info from. U pay a registraton fee, installation fee, a monthly monitoring fee and when ur done u pay to get in uninstalled, thats it.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
I don't get it

Yes but all those fees go into ur monthly insurance payment... At least in my friends case that's correct... He has it tacked on his monthly insurance...
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #19
I bringith the lowerballerith

Way too many assumptions, speculation and mis-information. The 24hr suspension, in most cases, is given only for an impairement by drug, or if a criminal charge of impaired driving is being saught, served along with a 90 day ADP, after 2 breath samples have been provided back at the detachment over 80mg%.

How about we wait for a proper story from the OP as to what happened. He was fairly vague in his posts.
Posted via RS Mobile
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #20

Thanks for all the replies guys and to clear it up, I do have my class 5 driver's license. My suspension wasn't for alcohol, it was for drugs so I wouldn't be able to breathalyze.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #21
I bringith the lowerballerith

And there you have it.

This will stay on your driving record for as long icbc/mvb keeps track of it, but it will go "away" after 5yrs when it comes to your driving abstract (for employment records and such). I can't comment on what icbc will do for insurance.
Posted via RS Mobile
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #22
I don't get it

Hehe... Pheew guess its better puffin than drinkin nowadays lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #23
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline129 View Post
Hehe... Pheew guess its better puffin than drinkin nowadays lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Except you can be criminally charged for possession if you have some left on you or in the car. Or dangerous op if you're driving crazy enough.

Or sued in civil court when you hurt someone or cause property damage.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #24
private modder

Thanked 2,606 Times in 732 Posts
Were you charged criminally? If not, then you likely won't receive a 90-day suspension in the mail. If yes, then you probably will.

Two 24-hour suspensions in one year then ICBC will charge you under the Driver Risk Premium.
Eff-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #25
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

it stays on for at least 5 years of your driving record
*6o4* is offline   Reply With Quote