REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
2012 US Presidential Election

So the Yanks pick a new leader of the free world tomorrow.

Is it actually close or is that just bullshit the media uses the sell the news?
Advertisement
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
I STILL don't get it

Obama is suppose to win according to the latest polls
SilverT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
I don't get it

I wonder myself... I want Obama to win again just cuz that Romney guy looks like he just wants to get paid...
Posted via RS Mobile
bloodline129 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
you do realize Romney is worth a shit tons and US head of state doesn't get paid that much in the grand scheme of things?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
I am grateful grapefruit

If you were to follow Reddit, you would think that everyone in the states hates Romney. But truth is, there are a lot of crazy religious fanatics in the states, a lot of racists, and a lot of businessmen who think that Obama is destroying their economy. Sure, some of the polls suggest that Obama will win, but I think it's definitely going to be tighter than the last election.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
Honestly big factor is voter turnout huge like 58% of available voters voted in 2008, even if Obama has the support of the general population, if the majority of the general population doesn't vote then the polls are redundant
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Obama is very strong in the poles, it looks the black man will be spending another four years in the White House.

Frankly, if the Americans elect a man who intends to revoke Roe vs Wade over the man who brought them a step closer to universal healthcare, the population is beyond hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero
you do realize Romney is worth a shit tons and US head of state doesn't get paid that much in the grand scheme of things?
Presidential Salary.
$400,000 annual salary,
$50,000 annual expense account,
$100,000 nontaxable travel account,
$19,000 for entertainment.

It's a very low salary relevant to the position, if I recall, the Obamas have a lower household income now than they did prior to the presidency, because Michelle isn't able to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars
If you were to follow Reddit, you would think that everyone in the states hates Romney. But truth is, there are a lot of crazy religious fanatics in the states, a lot of racists, and a lot of businessmen who think that Obama is destroying their economy. Sure, some of the polls suggest that Obama will win, but I think it's definitely going to be tighter than the last election.
Even on quite conservative forums, Obama is leading by a mile in e-poles.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,507 Posts
In terms of popular vote, things are actually quite close, with Obama only enjoying a slight lead.

But because of the electoral college system, Romney has next to no chance to win this one now.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
there's a betting company in the UK that is already paying out gamblers that bet on Obama (publicity stunt of course, but still )
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
TVD
I am Hook'd on RS

I think Romney takes the election. The election is coming down to a handful of swing states (especially Ohio) and he's doing well in them.

BTW: Romney's super rich but that doesn't make him a bad guy. The guy is wicked smart and has a distinguished record of accomplishment in business and public service.
TVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
As usual I agree economically with Romney, but socially I couldn't disagree more.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Maybe is time to give Romney a chance? Not saying Obama wasn't good is just that when the economy is this shitty maybe is time for another person in charge to see how things will go?

I do think Obama will win though the Hurricane Sandy have help Obama a lot. As the president he gets the upper hand in that one.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVD View Post
I think Romney takes the election. The election is coming down to a handful of swing states (especially Ohio) and he's doing well in them.

BTW: Romney's super rich but that doesn't make him a bad guy. The guy is wicked smart and has a distinguished record of accomplishment in business and public service.
Like as a Bishop in the Mormon Church, where he was well known for his hard line stance against abortion, contraceptives and gay marriage.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
The other thing associated with the election tomorrow that us BC'ers should watch that has relevance is Washington state voting on Initiative 502

"Initiative 502 would legalize possession of up to one ounce of marijuana for anyone over 21. Farmers would be issued state licences to grow it and, their product would be sold in stand-alone stores."

Washington ballot could legalize marijuana use - World - CBC News

How might legal marijuana in Wash. impact B.C.?
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
I just want Obama to win just so that these fuckers can suffer...

biggest idiots in the world "we don't have freedom", how about you live in Iran for 6 months and see how much freedom they have before you make stupid ass statements.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #16

Quote:

he made his money by laundering drug money (bain capital that is)

etc

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1710133.html
Old 11-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #17
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Like as a Bishop in the Mormon Church, where he was well known for his hard line stance against abortion, contraceptives and gay marriage.
Not to compare religions, as I think they are all kind of nuts if you think of them logically, but when I consider 'modern' ones like mormon and scientology, I can't help but think "how the fuck do people get convinced to believe this shit"? Something that has been around for thousands of years is one thing, but some scammer comes up with a religion, and it gets thousands of very rich followers including a presidential candidate??
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
i like how this thread only pops up the night before election

maybe it's just me but I'm way more into American politics since there's just so much influence from tv..movies..even with history I'm much more interested in the US vs canada
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #19
TVD
I am Hook'd on RS

Well if your top issues for voting for president are abortion, making sure contraceptives are covered by government, & gay marriage then Obama is your candidate.
TVD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Interesting poll via BBC:

Attachment 14143

Last edited by dinosaur; 07-26-2013 at 08:17 PM.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #21
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Well if your top issues for voting for president are abortion, making sure contraceptives are covered by government, & gay marriage then Obama is your candidate.
I don't care what your 'top issues' might be, electing a man that intends to knock women's rights back a few decades is unacceptable on moral grounds alone.

Regardless, any, if any, improvement brought to the economy by Romney would be negligible, he's just a politician out to make a name for himself.

Ron Paul is the only candidate who made economic proposals that would bring any ground breaking changes.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #22
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline129 View Post
I wonder myself... I want Obama to win again just cuz that Romney guy looks like he just wants to get paid...
Posted via RS Mobile
It's the power they want. Not money.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #23
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
I thought about creating a thread couple weeks ago regarding the US elections but didn't think so many of you guys follow it.

I'm hoping Romney wins. Economically as mentioned already in this thread Romney is their big chance in getting their economy back on track.

Cutting taxes on businesses is the best way; more incentive = more businesses opening up = higher standard of living and services/product prices drop
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
I thought about creating a thread couple weeks ago regarding the US elections but didn't think so many of you guys follow it.

I'm hoping Romney wins. Economically as mentioned already in this thread Romney is their big chance in getting their economy back on track.

Cutting taxes on businesses is the best way; more incentive = more businesses opening up = higher standard of living and services/product prices drop

Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #25
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post

Screen Shot 2012-09-16 at 11.15.58 AM.png