REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Salvage title dismantle only

amangled? ubuilt?

easiest/cheapest route to street legal?
Advertisement
Dan Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
sweet thread.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Newman View Post
amangled? ubuilt?

Great first post, 10/10 will read again!
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Easiest route to make a salvage title road legal? None. There's a reason cars are given specific titles.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Better safe than Surrey

You might be able to swap VIN's with a donor vehicle
Old 11-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,902 Times in 749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 View Post
You might be able to swap VIN's with a donor vehicle
Sure, but you might also go down for fraud.
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Err..for one thing, salvage and dismantle are 2 different titles. IIRC, vehicles with dismantle titles will never see public roads again. Vehicles with salvage titles that are repaired and passed inspection will be given rebuilt titles. Ubuilts? Good luck with a car! With motorcycles you will need a blank OEM frame (with reciepts), swap everything over yourself, pass inspection and ICBC issues the Ubuilt title. Cheapest route to street legal with salvage vehicles? Source parts yourself and DIY it and then have it pass inspection.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Newman View Post
amangled? ubuilt?

Go get some sticker paper. Print the tags that go on your license plate.

Spoiler!
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Err..for one thing, salvage and dismantle are 2 different titles. IIRC, vehicles with dismantle titles will never see public roads again. Vehicles with salvage titles that are repaired and passed inspection will be given rebuilt titles. Ubuilts? Good luck with a car! With motorcycles you will need a blank OEM frame (with reciepts), swap everything over yourself, pass inspection and ICBC issues the Ubuilt title. Cheapest route to street legal with salvage vehicles? Source parts yourself and DIY it and then have it pass inspection.
This is probably the best advice in the thread so far.

I'm not going to cover the salvage and dismantle as 6th gear has already said it the best.

In terms of amalgamation of the vehicle, you can purchase 2 or more salvage vehicles/dismantle vehicles to built a same vehicle of the same make/model. For example, a 2004 Ford F150 with a dismantle status, you can only use a portion of the parts from this vehicle to construct another vehicle. This means that you would need at least 3 more dismantled vehicles to amalgamate another Ford F150. The model year would depend on the body that is being used to construct the final vehicle.

With salvage vehicles, you can use as much as you want from it. Typically, amalgamated vehicles are 3 or more dismantled vehicles assembled into one. Keep in mind that none of the vehicles are being repaired, instead parts are being used from each of the 3 vehicles to construct one vehicle. In the end if the vehicle passes inspection, structural integrity, the vehicle can then be registered with a BC assigned VIN with an altered status. This is due to the multiple VINs that would be found on the vehicle.

Having a salvage vehicle is probably the easiest route to repair and have put back on the road. Fix whatever it needs to be fixed, inspection, structural integrity, and then a rebuilt status will be placed on the vehicle.

Please note that removing VINs is a criminal offense. I suggest that no one attempts to swap VINs.

In terms of UBILT vehicles. Ubilt vehicles are vehicles that do not resemble anything that is currently manufactured. There are exceptions with fiberglass replicas but generally speaking, an ubilt car should be unique in its own. This would probably be the most complicated out of the 3.

Easiest to hardest: Salvage-Amalgamated-Ubilt

Please also keep in mind with anything you do, receipts/bills of sale is key. Without it, expect to do more paperwork and have more headaches in the end.
Zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Isn't there also a time limit on when you buy a salvage title car to getting it fixed and inspected by the government? And when the time expires and the car is still not fixed, it gets a dismantle title. I remember reading it on here where someone bought back their car and they had 1 year to fix it but ran out of time and the body shop doing the work had to ask ICBC for an extension.

Last edited by MTV Cribs; 11-09-2012 at 01:00 PM.
MTV Cribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV Cribs View Post
Isn't there also a time limit on when you buy a salvage title car to getting it fixed and inspected by the government? And when the time expires and the car is still not fixed, it gets a dismantle title. I remember reading it on here where someone bought back their car and they had 1 year to fix it but ran out of time and the body shop doing the work had to ask ICBC for an extension.
I don't believe this is true. There is no time limit that i know of for salvage vehicles to be repaired or it becomes dismantled. Once the vehicle is in your possession, you can transfer the vehicle into your name if it's already registered. There are no expiration dates as everyone situation differs.

Quick search of ICBC's website came up empty in regards to this concern.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I found the thread here post 30 http://www.revscene.net/forums/53241...r-2-turbo.html
MTV Cribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
I don't get it

To be honest, I think the painter was pulling something on him to have his vehicle complete. With most claims, vehicles have to have repairs done within a year. Once a vehicle has been deemed salvage, it is then released to the customer and the time limit is not valid in this situation. ICBC will not track a salvage car to see if repairs have been done.

I've had customers ask that question before and I have told them explicitly that there is no time limit to rebuild a vehicle once it is deemed salvage. I will check on this next week for sure.

Last edited by Zordon; 11-09-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
fix car/for not parts

may inspecting too many dollars

ubuilt motocyle and trailer can only

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
fix car/for not parts

may inspecting too many dollars

ubuilt motocyle and trailer can only

honestly that makes more sense than OP.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #16

What should one do if they know for a fact that a certain car has had the vins swapped?
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #17
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
What should one do if they know for a fact that a certain car has had the vins swapped?
Posted via RS Mobile
How do you know for certain? Which VINs would you be hypothetically be referring to? I'm assuming this "vehicle" is registered with the swapped VIN? In the end, it really depends on the situation, but one scenario would involve reassigning a BC VIN to the vehicle.

Every situation is different but i usually suggest a RCMP search first of the VIN to see if anything comes up. http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/English/search.cfm
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklam View Post
How do you know for certain? Which VINs would you be hypothetically be referring to? I'm assuming this "vehicle" is registered with the swapped VIN? In the end, it really depends on the situation, but one scenario would involve reassigning a BC VIN to the vehicle.

Every situation is different but i usually suggest a RCMP search first of the VIN to see if anything comes up. http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/English/search.cfm
Absolutely certain. My car which was stolen and written off was bought from the yard by a guy (who's actually a member on here) with his wreckers license out in Kelowna. Car was deemed as dismantle only. Now the car is magically back on the road with a plate and everything. Also belongs to a different owner now, who I believe is a friend of the wrecker guy. What likely happened is the guy that originally purchased it either swapped the VIN plate off the dash, or swapped the dash entirely off a car with a "clean" title.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #19
I don't get it

Quote:
Absolutely certain. My car which was stolen and written off was bought from the yard by a guy (who's actually a member on here) with his wreckers license out in Kelowna. Car was deemed as dismantle only. Now the car is magically back on the road with a plate and everything. Also belongs to a different owner now, who I believe is a friend of the wrecker guy. What likely happened is the guy that originally purchased it either swapped the VIN plate off the dash, or swapped the dash entirely off a car with a "clean" title.
Wow that's super sketch. That sucks for the new owner cause if they ever find out, the car will be pulled off the road. What would be worse is if they got into a car accident with a dismantle only car... Too bad they don't have aircare in Kelowna.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #20
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
because RaceCar
Old 11-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #21
I don't get it

Quote:
Or he took the parts he needed from your "dismantle only" vehicle and put them on a different salvaged vehicle he also bought from an auction.
yamahar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #22
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Are you sure the car was written off as dismantle only? Was the car damaged from the thieft? Is it possible the car was written off as rebuildable?
Posted via RS Mobile
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #23

I wouldn't go around accusing people of stuff if I didn't have my facts straight.

You guys are welcome to go on the ICBC site and look up the VIN yourself - JN1MS36S7NW109505. Model year is 1992.

ICBC | Vehicle history reports

Scroll to the bottom and use the link for ICBC's history report then follow the instructions. Won't charge you anything, as it'll just show you the vehicle's status which says "NON-REPAIRABLE".

100% certain that it's the same car as I am 1 of a small handful of people in all of North America with the aero kit that I had on the car, not to mention the custom paintjob I had on it. Anyone who is familiar with 240's can vouch for the rarity of it.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #24
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
I guess the only thing left to do really is call up ICBC and report the situation or you can try PM'ing the RS member that bought the car from ICBC and see what he has to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #25
I don't get it

Fraud tips and witness reports
Have you witnessed an accident? Use our witness information form or call our Witness/Tips line.
Do you suspect someone is lying to or misinforming ICBC?
Please let us know by calling our confidential Witness/TIPS Line:
Lower Mainland: 604-661-6844
Elsewhere in B.C., Canada and the U.S.: 1-800-661-6844
This post thanked by: