REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Euro Tech Resources

Euro Tech Resources All Euros (VW, BMW, Benz, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc) Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 11-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Opinions wanted - Mk4 Jetta or 2002 up Audi A4?

So the time has come to get a 4 door...but one that is still entertaining. I've narrowed it down to a few, but I'm leaning on the mk4 Jetta, or the 2002 (I believe? The facelifted year?) Audi A4.

I have no real preferences, other than I still want to row my own gears so a 6 speed would be nice. Fuel economy is a factor, so I'm leaning towards the 1.8T in both, but from what I've heard, the VRs aren't that much worse.

What does concern me is reliability and constant issues as far as aging and the related costs of each. from what I can tell, the Audis seem to be going for cheap - and there's a fair amount of them out there for sale. This leads me to think they are ticking time bombs, but opinions are all over the map in customer surveys. I'd love an S4 but again, these have to be ridiculous to work on? And I know mk4 VWs have their interior problems, but mechanically, they don't seem too bad? I'm looking to spend near $10000 for either, so I know I'll get a later VW for this and closer to an '01 Audi. Might even find a GLI for near this.

This will be going on a few forums to get a broader spectrum of opinions, so let me know what your experiences are.

Thanx all!
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Crayons.

Crayons everywhere.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
why would you even consider an A4, have you seen their track record, have you even googled A4...
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

This is why I'm looking for actual owners input. The surveys and opinions you get on the net can be skewed as owners rarely write in to compliment or praise their car - but will gladly do so if it's a gripe. And with the A4s, it is all over the map as far as how these cars they treat their owners. Thus, the post.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Audi a4's are more for luxury. Reliability should be the same, they are practically the same car.
Posted via RS Mobile
BMAKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

If you ask me, you'd be better off to just take the money you'll be spending on repairs and just use it towards the payment on a newer audi that still has warranty.
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Do not get an audi older than 2004
Posted via RS Mobile
zx7rrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

And get a tdi jetta. They are bulletproof
Posted via RS Mobile
zx7rrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
My girlfriend drives a MK4 Jetta VR6 and it's terrible. 300-350km on a tank. Unreliable - it drives like a 20 year old car - bad heater core, leaks, creaks, power windows broke, key fob doesn't work, brakes are shit. I can't wait to get her out of it - I've even offered to pay for new car to get her out of it (she doesn't want to waste money).

It is relatively cheap to fix but there will always be things that need fixing. It also cruises at 160kph just fine like a true German car.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
E46. Way better build quality, better to drive, better engineered. Audi was playing catch-up with the A4. Also you won't have to replace your coil packs every other week or find new exciting leaks on the driveway.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote