REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,683
Thanked 683 Times in 268 Posts
BCIT faculty and staff vote in favour of strike

Quote:
Faculty and staff at the British Columbia Institute of Technology announced today that 78 per cent of voters favour a strike amid a labour dispute that has been going on since their last contract expired June 30, 2010.

Over the past three days 689 members cast ballots at BCIT’s Burnaby and downtown Vancouver campuses, according to a faculty and staff association news release.

“Better salaries and working conditions are needed to attract career-seasoned professionals from industries where wages have kept pace with inflation,” FSA executive director and chief negotiator Paul Reniers said in the release. “Fair wages will ensure that BCIT can hire and hold on to the kinds of professionals who built this important institution.”

The association represents over 1,400 BCIT employees ranging from instructors, researchers, librarians and counsellors to program advisors.
BCIT faculty and staff vote in favour of strike
Advertisement
Recon604 is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Survivor MOD
 
T4RAWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Richmond
Posts: 2,027
Thanked 1,501 Times in 524 Posts
T4RAWR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 26,806
Thanked 6,590 Times in 2,288 Posts
Part-time instructors?
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...
 
Redlines_Daily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,482
Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
So they are striking to ensure higher quality of future employees? I think they just want more monies

That being said, as a BCIT alumni I know that the instructors are underpaid compared to what they could be making in their given industries. Most of the instructors I met are there because they enjoying teaching and want to give back. However, as post-secondary instructors who have many other job options available to them, I don't think they have any business striking. If they don't like what is offered, they can go back to work in their respective industries. Just my 2 cents

-J
Redlines_Daily is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not vancouver
Posts: 2,647
Thanked 1,936 Times in 764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
So they are striking to ensure higher quality of future employees? I think they just want more monies

That being said, as a BCIT alumni I know that the instructors are underpaid compared to what they could be making in their given industries. Most of the instructors I met are there because they enjoying teaching and want to give back. However, as post-secondary instructors who have many other job options available to them, I don't think they have any business striking. If they don't like what is offered, they can go back to work in their respective industries. Just my 2 cents

-J
Couldn't agree more, teaching at uni level (in my field) is a joke, and I've done it - they have no right striking, don't like it, lump it!

Years ago at Ubc the support staff strike really fucked me over, missed classes that were still being held as they blocked entrances (drove in), so I'm sorry if I have no sympathy, but students pay good money, so provide the service they paid for

Would love it for bcit to fuck over the union and rehire new ppl to replace, but we can't do that in communist Canada - unions are too powerful
4444 is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Fappin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 699
Thanked 1,563 Times in 171 Posts
Does this mean there's no class until strike is over?
Fappin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,942
Thanked 1,436 Times in 725 Posts
Hope part time class is still ok. I register for the 2013 winter semester.....
Mr.HappySilp is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!
 
StylinRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CELICAland
Posts: 22,792
Thanked 9,042 Times in 3,228 Posts
bcit sfu has been on strike for several days now limited strike that is
StylinRed is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
parm104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,767
Thanked 2,586 Times in 667 Posts
I doubt it will mean no class but it will probably mean cancelled tutorials and extra-services, services which students depend on.

It's a shame that these are the tactics these T.A.'s chose to portray their message. It hurts the students the most, who have no control over the situation. Actually, either way you look @ it, the students will be the ones who end up paying.

1. If you cancel tutorials and exams, then the students that have already paid for a semester's worth of tuition get screwed out of an education that was supposed to be given to them.

2. If the strike is successful, then next semester the students will have the wonderful opportunity to pay a higher tuition rate.

On a side note, I've known many lawyers who have gone back to SFU or Kwantlen to teach Criminal Law and they love it. But guess what, it didn't pay the bills, at least not to the lifestyle they wanted or were accustomed to. They made a choice to go back and practice in the private sector where they're able to make the money they want to make. Sacrifice one way or another, one hand you do what you are passionate about and love (teaching students) or on the other hand you make enough money to support a lifestyle you've chosen.
__________________
Clicky Clicky For my Feedback
parm104 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
hongy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: vancouver
Posts: 3,698
Thanked 608 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
I doubt it will mean no class but it will probably mean cancelled tutorials and extra-services, services which students depend on.

It's a shame that these are the tactics these T.A.'s chose to portray their message. It hurts the students the most, who have no control over the situation. Actually, either way you look @ it, the students will be the ones who end up paying.

1. If you cancel tutorials and exams, then the students that have already paid for a semester's worth of tuition get screwed out of an education that was supposed to be given to them.

2. If the strike is successful, then next semester the students will have the wonderful opportunity to pay a higher tuition rate.
My exam on tuesday is potentially pushed back a week, and missed 4 classes because of strikes already.
__________________
Van Tech Students JOIN!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by secret1 View Post
MY PENIS IS THE SIZE OF A CIGARETTE LIGHTER! jizzing on my keyboard is hard for me! imma be fucked for life, but fuck it I'm a BITCH!
hongy is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
parm104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,767
Thanked 2,586 Times in 667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongy View Post
My exam on tuesday is potentially pushed back a week, and missed 4 classes because of strikes already.
LOL that could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your situation. But also keep in mind, it's almost Christmas and if a delay is created in the system, it'll just end up being pushed further back into Christmas = less holidays
__________________
Clicky Clicky For my Feedback
parm104 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
 
nabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver
Posts: 5,526
Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,060 Posts
I feel bad for the ECET students, they already have only 2 days off for the holidays. They are the only ones left in the school during winter and spring breaks. This will royally screw them, especially for the ones in their last semester working on their final projects. This means that no outside class lab access.
__________________
.

Looking for something to do tonight? ====> OFFICIAL MUSIC EVENTS CALENDAR

Spoiler!
nabs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
dlo
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
dlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: vancouver
Posts: 5,981
Thanked 7,872 Times in 1,406 Posts
last thing i want is my exams to be pushed back or missing class lol.....
__________________
Quote:
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 26,806
Thanked 6,590 Times in 2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
So they are striking to ensure higher quality of future employees? I think they just want more monies

That being said, as a BCIT alumni I know that the instructors are underpaid compared to what they could be making in their given industries. Most of the instructors I met are there because they enjoying teaching and want to give back. However, as post-secondary instructors who have many other job options available to them, I don't think they have any business striking. If they don't like what is offered, they can go back to work in their respective industries. Just my 2 cents

-J
I think the 8 weeks of holidays they get per year might be a factor in sticking around..
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: in a hole.
Posts: 253
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
So they are striking to ensure higher quality of future employees? I think they just want more monies

That being said, as a BCIT alumni I know that the instructors are underpaid compared to what they could be making in their given industries. Most of the instructors I met are there because they enjoying teaching and want to give back. However, as post-secondary instructors who have many other job options available to them, I don't think they have any business striking. If they don't like what is offered, they can go back to work in their respective industries. Just my 2 cents

-J
I believe this also includes support staff and not just the instructors. You know, the people who clean up after you, the people who register you for courses, the people who you go to when you fail and have no idea what to do next, the people who fix your tweaked out PC.

As for the faculty, how great would it be to have an elementary school teacher teach me how to program a micro controller using assembly code, or some substitute from a temp agency showing me how to wire a 220 V 3 phase generator. I mean take it or get out right?
twstd_reality is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #16
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 26,806
Thanked 6,590 Times in 2,288 Posts
i dunno personally i've taken a total of about 5 years of schooling through BCIT and of all those programs/courses, ive maybe had 4-5 teachers i thought actually cared about teaching?

the other seems to just grind out the day as best they can
__________________
Canucks - ftw!
Hondaracer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
bing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 1,842
Thanked 562 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I think the 8 weeks of holidays they get per year might be a factor in sticking around..
Posted via RS Mobile
Although I can't comment too much on BCIT instructors since I have limited knowledge, if they could make more money in the private sector then what's stopping them?

However, at universities the situation is different because there are many privileges to being a professor: decent wages, tenure, sabbatical, and research.

With tenure, you pretty much have a job for life and it is next to impossible to fire you unless you screw up bad - you can air your political beliefs and values without getting fired.

Last I checked, wages are decent. My former profs (ranking from assistant to associate but excluding sessional instructors) made on average between 80-100k per year plus expenses (full professors ~115-125k), which I believe puts them in the top 5-6% of Canadian society. Of course, you do have to factor in the years it takes to get a ph.D, and the hard work and research it takes to get tenure in the first place.

They can also take a sabbatical every 7th year for study and they can have a research semester every year. I'd say they have it pretty good.
__________________

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd (rip)
07' BMW 323iA (sold)
05' BMW Z4 5spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
06' BMW 330i 6spd (sold)
08' BMW M3 6spd

Bikes:
15' Kawasaki Ninja300

Last edited by bing; 11-10-2012 at 06:56 PM.
bing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #18
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Ax2-Y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 668
Thanked 56 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
Couldn't agree more, teaching at uni level (in my field) is a joke, and I've done it - they have no right striking, don't like it, lump it!

Years ago at Ubc the support staff strike really fucked me over, missed classes that were still being held as they blocked entrances (drove in), so I'm sorry if I have no sympathy, but students pay good money, so provide the service they paid for

Would love it for bcit to fuck over the union and rehire new ppl to replace, but we can't do that in communist Canada - unions are too powerful
you did read that they have been working without a contract since june 2010, right...? perhaps you should redirect your anger and ask why a fair contract (for both sides) has not been negotiated over the last two years. clearly the employees are unhappy with the way negotiations are proceeding as going on strike is always the last resort.

Also, i think you're trying to insult Canada as being socialist, not communist.
Ax2-Y is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #19
I STILL don't get it
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: VANCOUVER
Posts: 464
Thanked 960 Times in 115 Posts
this means I must self-teach some more
FOREVER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #20
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
parm104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,767
Thanked 2,586 Times in 667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twstd_reality View Post
I believe this also includes support staff and not just the instructors. You know, the people who clean up after you, the people who register you for courses, the people who you go to when you fail and have no idea what to do next, the people who fix your tweaked out PC.

As for the faculty, how great would it be to have an elementary school teacher teach me how to program a micro controller using assembly code, or some substitute from a temp agency showing me how to wire a 220 V 3 phase generator. I mean take it or get out right?
The strikes thus far have been TA's and support staff only...MOST Professors have not been in favour of the strikes thus far at the schools that are being affected by them.

I find it amusing that some people are acting like they don't pay tuition for their education...Implying that you don't want a elementary school teacher teaching you advanced electrical engineering...Well that's why you're paying a handsome tuition...It's so that you don't get an elementary school teacher teaching you something that he or she may not be qualified for.

Again, this strike is for SUPPORT STAFF ONLY...This does not involve teachers/professors/instructors. The 89% staff that voted in favour of strike were support staff only voting. That's why I mentioned earlier that tutorials may be cancelled and exams may be post-phoned because they are the ones who usually take care of those.
__________________
Clicky Clicky For my Feedback

Last edited by parm104; 11-10-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: edited to add "MOST"
parm104 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #21
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
bing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 1,842
Thanked 562 Times in 229 Posts
^At SFU, the strike (limited action at the moment) is only support staff including TAs but a number of profs have signed an open letter of support for the TSSU (union).

http://bargaining.tssu.ca/wp-content...y-Support1.pdf

And some of the classes have been cancelled by the profs themselves refusing to cross picket lines when they are held for reasons of conscience, which is allowed under the university act.
__________________

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd (rip)
07' BMW 323iA (sold)
05' BMW Z4 5spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
06' BMW 330i 6spd (sold)
08' BMW M3 6spd

Bikes:
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
bing is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not vancouver
Posts: 2,647
Thanked 1,936 Times in 764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax2-Y View Post
you did read that they have been working without a contract since june 2010, right...? perhaps you should redirect your anger and ask why a fair contract (for both sides) has not been negotiated over the last two years. clearly the employees are unhappy with the way negotiations are proceeding as going on strike is always the last resort.

Also, i think you're trying to insult Canada as being socialist, not communist.
Contract, such communist talk (and to me, socialist is communist, I do know the difference... Both are too left), fuck unions, fuck ppl who work for unions

And yes, I'm waiting for fails from union losers and bleeding heart lefties - fail away, it's the internet
4444 is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #23
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
GabAlmighty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yellowknife NWT
Posts: 4,695
Thanked 2,943 Times in 976 Posts
Hahahahaha, suckers. My school's still good to go and all the profs be happy
__________________
'16 Ram 1500
'85 Corolla
GabAlmighty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #24
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
parm104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,767
Thanked 2,586 Times in 667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
...it's the internet...
__________________
Clicky Clicky For my Feedback
parm104 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #25
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: in a hole.
Posts: 253
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
The strikes thus far have been TA's and support staff only...MOST Professors have not been in favour of the strikes thus far at the schools that are being affected by them.

I find it amusing that some people are acting like they don't pay tuition for their education...Implying that you don't want a elementary school teacher teaching you advanced electrical engineering...Well that's why you're paying a handsome tuition...It's so that you don't get an elementary school teacher teaching you something that he or she may not be qualified for.

Again, this strike is for SUPPORT STAFF ONLY...This does not involve teachers/professors/instructors. The 89% staff that voted in favour of strike were support staff only voting. That's why I mentioned earlier that tutorials may be cancelled and exams may be post-phoned because they are the ones who usually take care of those.
Exactly. If I am going to drop 15K on schooling I want to learn from the best, not someone who is just there to fill the role, or worse, have my courses cancelled because they couldn't find anyone to teach.

And the article says "faculty and staff". Where's your info from?
twstd_reality is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net