REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Operation Red Nose 2012 - Let Rudy Take The Wheel

Every year.. there's a bunch of you who get caught drinking and driving, and as much as I enjoy poking fun at the idiots who look for a defense via the Police forum, I really would rather see you guys use a service such as Operation Red Nose. I volunteer with it every year, and encourage others to do so. You help people get their vehicles home safely... taking drunks off the road. On the perks side, I've driven quite a few nice cars to their respective homes...

Operation Red Nose Website

Operation Red Nose starts up on November 30th. It is a free service run by volunteers who will come to your location, and drive you home in your own car if you're unable to do so safely on your own (drinking, tired, etc). Hours are 9pm to 3am on the following dates:

Friday, November 30
Saturday, December 1
Friday, December 7
Saturday, December 8
Friday, December 14
Saturday, December 15
Friday, December 21
Saturday, December 22
Monday, December 31 (New Year's Eve)

Call 1-877-604-NOSE (6673) for a free ride home in your own car... or call these BC locations direct by local number:

Abbotsford: 604-864-4814
Burnaby: 778-866-NOSE (6673)
Chilliwack: 604-393-3000 Website
Delta: 604-943-0460 Website
Kamloops: 250-372-5110
Langley 604-532-0888 or Website
Mission: 604-864-4814
Nanaimo: 250-755-6969
New Westminster: 778-866-NOSE (6673)
North Vancouver: 604-619-0942
Prince George: 250-962-RIDE (7433) Website
Maple Ridge: 604-515-NOSE (6673)
Pitt Meadows: 604-515-NOSE (6673)
Richmond: 604-943-0460 Website
Surrey: 604-532-0888 Website
Tri-Cities: 778-866-NOSE (6673)
West Vancouver: 604-619-0942
Williams Lake: 250-392-2222
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
I don't get it

Hey jlenko, how about starting up a list for Revscene members that want to volunteer? The new Burnaby/New West Operation Red Nose is looking for volunteers for their first year. The City of Burnaby is getting their employees to volunteer and if they get enough, they'll cover two of the nights. There are at least a couple of other groups that I know of that are working on their members to help out.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

There's also a RS Red Nose.. Don't know if it will be brought back again this year.
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepywheel View Post
Hey jlenko, how about starting up a list for Revscene members that want to volunteer? The new Burnaby/New West Operation Red Nose is looking for volunteers for their first year. The City of Burnaby is getting their employees to volunteer and if they get enough, they'll cover two of the nights. There are at least a couple of other groups that I know of that are working on their members to help out.
Feel free. I don't have the time to set that kind of thing up.

I do have the time to volunteer to drive a couple nights.. but that's it.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
10psi aint enough...

Thumbs up for volunteering jlenko.
Posted via RS Mobile
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Where's MG1
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Feel free. I don't have the time to set that kind of thing up.

I do have the time to volunteer to drive a couple nights.. but that's it.
I'd like to but I'm already trying to get a group together that I volunteer with. There's another group that's bugging me to join them for a night.

Since you've been out with Red Nose before, how does the night go? Chris Wilson was telling me that there's a quick training session, hit a few bars to give out cards with the Red Nose phone number, and then wait for the calls. Is that how it usually works out?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #8

The group I usually volunteer with goes as a group, so it's all us on the North Shore for the night (10 or so teams of 3 people each). We start at 8pm with a pizza dinner and orientation, then quick little training session. A couple of volunteers stay and man the phones, the others go in teams to bars, clubs, or house parties (some are easy to find!) to spread the word... business cards with the ORN phone number on it. We also sell reindeer antlers for fundraising activities. (They sell well downtown to drunk chicks, especially the ones with flashing lights on 'em)

Then when the calls start rolling in, the dispatcher calls your vehicle and you go to the location. One person goes in the chase car to follow the other two in the person's vehicle, to drive them home. We ask for donations, to go to the Rotary Club to fund children's programs but it's strictly voluntary. It is, after all, a free service and if people don't want to give anything we're more than happy to provide the safe way home.

Once you drop off the person in their car, you all pile back into the chase car and go to your next client. We usually do 5-6 cars per team per night.

The chase cars and cell phones are donated by local dealerships and ICBC. We run the North Shore ones out of the ICBC office on Lloyd Avenue. I'm planning on looking into the Langley group now that I live out here though.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
I don't get it

Thanks for the info. We didn't get all that from the intro that was held at Metropolis. I'll pass it on to our members.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanks for posting this, I look forward to using the service.
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #11

Bump for a service that saves lives.

Simnut can hate on me all he wants.. Frankly I would rather see people use this service instead of posting in the Police forum "how do I get my mom's car back, she needs it for work" or worse... a RIP thread because someone was too proud/egotistical/stupid to call and use a free service.

It's not too late to volunteer... if you find you have a Friday or Saturday night free and put yourself on Santa's Good Karma list...

http://www.clubrunner.ca/Data/5040/7...versionpdf.pdf for the North Shore info. There are 13 other communities to volunteer in though..
Old 12-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanks for driving my co-worker home on Saturday in a Standard RHD GT4~
Old 12-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #13

Man, last night was awesome. Lots of calls - good to see people using the service.

If I can offer just one tip to those calling for a ride... give us a good heads up on when you want the pick up. Sometimes we can be there quick.. other times all our teams are tied up and it might be a half hour before we can get there.