REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning

Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning This forum is brought to you by Racing Greed in Port Coquitlam.
Supercharger vs Turbocharger vs NA? Hondata vs Megasquirt? 94oct vs 87oct? Through technical discussion, let's find out what will the best option for you...

Old 11-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

short ram intake vs cold air intake?

thinking of getting one or the other for my IS300 yet dont really know which would allow for better performance. suggestions?
Advertisement
slick724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
cold air intake if its actually sucking cold air..

they say short ram will show a better throttle response but its really nothing you will ever notice
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

Get a Joe-Z intake tube + aftermarket drop in filter

K&N FIPK

or an SRT(Swift Racing Technologies) intake.
jtrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
I bringith the lowerballerith

keep this in mind, for cold air intake it sit pretty low to the ground. Since vancouver rains alot, you have to be careful with huge puddles.

brown parents, "FIVE COWS?! HAVE YOU GONE COO KOO? five cows... noo to much... two cows."

Go WINGS GO 1997,1998,2002 & 2008

#2 #5 #13 #14 #16 #19 #30 #40 #91
Philly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I would go with short ram..

i rather take the possibility of heat soak over hydro lock
ApePee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

injen makes a nice "engineered" CAI and to get past the hydrolocking possibility they include a "sock" to slip over your filter to absorb any water if splashed. realistically unless you are driving in a creek your car will never hydro lock. and if you do happen to come across a large puddle that is unescapable then just drop gears and let your rev's drop.. (low idle means low air intake means no suction).
the bottom line is that a short ram is just a sanctioned standard hi flow filter... CAI is actually sucking cold air that is NOT in the engine bay.
gthirty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePee2 View Post
I would go with short ram..

i rather take the possibility of heat soak over hydro lock
This. hydro lock is not cool at all, heat soak...just drive faster
writhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick724 View Post
thinking of getting one or the other for my IS300 yet dont really know which would allow for better performance. suggestions?
if ur not tracking ur car just get k&n drop in filter. no need to spend a lot of money. there is no benefit unless ur tuned.
gc200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
I don't get it

not sure about is300, but some intakes you can change from cold air intake to short ram. so you get best of both worlds. if not, look up instruction manuals for cold air intake brands and look at where the design/location of the pipe and intake. you dont wanna be like this guy

my cold air intake sits right behind the front bumper so no water soaks the intake (i tested with a power washer too).

but i would say...go for the short ram intake. it will sound better, still gets a gain of hp, and easy to clean! i need to clean my filter soon, so i have to take off the bumper which i dont want to do at all. i got a cold air intake because many people who have my car goes with cai .
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
Female Driven

^ thanks for reminding me to clean my filter!
Posted via RS Mobile
FI-Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
I thought generally as a rule of thumb CAI is optimal for turbo cars and Short Ram is for N/A? I understand that CAI could be good for N/A cars as well though.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
I thought generally as a rule of thumb CAI is optimal for turbo cars and Short Ram is for N/A? I understand that CAI could be good for N/A cars as well though.
actually sri is optimal for turbo. referenced from trusty wikipedia (pretty sure its true)..."Users with forced induction engines often opt for short ram intakes because compressors adjacent to the engine, especially turbochargers, heat the incoming air and negate much of the benefits of a cold air intake."

i dont get it though.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
RS controls my life!

OP, what did you end up getting?
jtrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:03 AM   #14
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Noticed no one has posted this, but the cold aspect of a cold air intake is only half the benefit. The other half is air velocity, when you are hard on the throttle the air being pulled through the intake starts to create a scavenging effect, increasing HP. It is a fine balance of peak air velocity and throttle response when selecting a CAI, (shorter gets you the throttle response, longer gets you the scavenging). Unless you are running a turbo setup, or a built N/A setup you will see little to no or even negative gains from an SRI in most cases comparative to stock intake. The SRI is only needed over a stock box when the motor needs more air than the stock box can handle, where as, a CAI will almost always show a decent gain (depending on setup of course) with-in reason, ie, don't expect 10% hp gains when your motor is bone stock.
Xenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Anyone petrified of hydro lock can pick up a hydrophobic sock to place over their filter. This will repel all water. Probably a good idea for vancouver cars...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote