REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Translink People

I've heard from a few friends that the people who work for translink who do fare checks and walk around etc make 90,000 a year? Also bus drivers making over 6 figures according to a friend whos uncle works as one...

This is hard to believe, does anyone here have any knowledge on this?
Advertisement
RuffleCopterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
If this is true then thats crazy.
I was told by a bus driver that TransLink/Coast Mountain Bus Company drivers make about 21-25 an hour.

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Are you kidding me? People who do farechecks make more then that. And bus drivers can make more then 6 figures. It all depends on which zone they are working on(ex. a bus driver who drives in vancouver, and a bus driver who drives in surrey) zone 1 bus drivers will make more then zone 3 bus drivers.

trololol
Windstar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffleCopterz View Post
I've heard from a few friends that the people who work for translink who do fare checks and walk around etc make 90,000 a year? Also bus drivers making over 6 figures according to a friend whos uncle works as one...

LMAO.. so your telling me that bus drivers make just as much as people who spent all their lives studying to get a Masters/Bachelors just to get a high paying office job? OR people who collect fares makes almost as much as my dentist?
No wunder trankslink is always complaining they need more money
Spoiler!
Old 11-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
yep
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Bus drivers make about $21/hr I believe. Getting in is a pain though unless you have some pretty impressive community service or someone who's already working pretty high up for translink and refers you in.
Posted via RS Mobile
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
bus drivers for the community shuttles make less than the conventional buses
Posted via RS Mobile
Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
bus drivers make up to $28/hr depending on the bus type and routes.
they can also get a lot of OT so 6 figures is possible
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,902 Times in 749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
bus drivers for the community shuttles make less than the conventional buses
Posted via RS Mobile
IIRC they don't need their class 1's.

Things I've learned from my coworker who doubles as a bus driver:
- wage caps out at $28/hr and it doesn't take long to reach
- vacation maxes out at 7 weeks a year, including stat holidays
- 3 strike penalty for lateness regardless of how long you've been employed
Old 11-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
IIRC they don't need their class 1's.

Things I've learned from my coworker who doubles as a bus driver:
- wage caps out at $28/hr and it doesn't take long to reach
- vacation maxes out at 7 weeks a year, including stat holidays
- 3 strike penalty for lateness regardless of how long you've been employed
i think its class 3/4 for the smaller buses

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 11-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
MOD

Quote:
Qualifications
In order to qualify to become a Conventional or Community Shuttle Bus Operator, you must be:

A Canadian citizen or have Landed Immigrant status.
Legally entitled to work in Canada.

Driving Record Requirements

As an applicant you must demonstrate a safe driving history as assessed by Coast Mountain Bus Company Ltd. Your driving record over the past five (5) years will be reviewed as part of the application process.

To qualify for consideration, you must:

Hold a Class 5 (or higher) BC Driver's License or Canadian equivalent.
Be able to obtain a Class 2 BC Commercial Learner's Licence with air brake endorsement for Conventional Transit Operator or Class 4 unrestricted BC Commercial Learner's Licence for Community Shuttle Operator.
Have no more than one (1) violation in the last three (3) years. Maximum points on the one (1) violation can be no more than three (3) points. This includes non-moving violations.
Have no suspensions or prohibitions of any kind in the past five (5) years.

Motor Vehicle Accident Record Requirements

To qualify for further consideration, you must have no more than one (1) "at-fault" accident in the past three (3) years.

Due to our accident record requirements, if you already have one (1) "at-fault" accident when you apply and you receive either an additional "at-fault" accident or an "outstanding" accident during the recruitment process, your application will no longer be considered.

Note: Should you receive additional violations, points, prohibitions or accidents that exceed our requirements at any point during the recruitment process, your application will no longer be considered.

Applications are assessed to determine if applicants have demonstrated a safe and responsible driving history, as determined by Coast Mountain Bus Company Ltd.

Other Qualifications/Requirements

Able to obtain a Criminal Record Search including a Vulnerable Sector Search.
Able to understand, speak, read and write English in order to learn the training materials, communicate effectively with the travelling public, and write reports on incidents involving safety.
Willing to work various types of shifts.
Able to pass a Comprehensive Medical Examination.
Acceptable attendance record at work (absenteeism/lateness).

Quote:
Rate of Pay:

As per Canadian Auto Workers Agreement (Effective April 1/2009).

Wage Schedule: Conventional Transit Operators

Trainee (30 Days training) $20.44
1st 8 months $21.90
2nd 8 months $23.36
3rd 8 months $26.28
Thereafter $29.20

Medical, dental, and vision benefits, with the option of family and domestic partner coverage
Paid vacation
Sick leave
Pension plan
Bus pass for you and a family member (some restrictions apply)
Membership in Canadian Auto Workers Union Local 111
Flexible scheduling
Paid training

Wage Schedule: Community Transit Operators

Trainee (9 Days training) $17.57 per hour
1st 8 months $18.69
2nd 8 months $21.02
Thereafter $23.36

Flexible Scheduling
Employee bus pass
Paid Training
Membership in Canadian Auto Workers Union Local 111
When starting as a casual you are paid 14% above your hourly rate in lieu of benefits

If you choose to move into a part-time or full-time Community Shuttle position, you will start receiving similar benefits as Conventional drivers
In the case of Reduced Time Employees and Casual Employees, the above periods of time will be prorated to reflect the Employee's Straight time hours worked (Reduced-time employees must work the equivalent number of hours that a full-time regular employee normally works in each eight-month period before their rate would progress to the next step).

they are on hiring freeze right now

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 11-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Ohhh and my parents keep telling me doctors make 6 digits
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #13

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
So offensive. This is what happens when governments don't allow for privatization.

Translink loses millions every year, which tax payers and drivers pay for, all so that under educated people who have no aspirations to improve themselves, their career, the world, etc earn way above the open market would allow

Utter bs! (I have full right to say this as a high rate tax payer and insurer of a vehicle)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
So offensive. This is what happens when governments don't allow for privatization.

Translink loses millions every year, which tax payers and drivers pay for, all so that under educated people who have no aspirations to improve themselves, their career, the world, etc earn way above the open market would allow

Utter bs! (I have full right to say this as a high rate tax payer and insurer of a vehicle)
You're entitled to the notion that leprechauns hide pots of gold at the end of rainbows too, but that's no more correct that what you've said here.

The pay rate for Translink drivers is comparable to that offered by good private companies, as a moment of research clearly demonstrates.

Class 1 Driver - $21-25
Class 1 Driver

Class 4 Driver - $18.45
Bus Driver (casual & vacation relief)

I don't get your rambling insults directed at people who choose a career as a bus driver.

A career as a bus driver is not my cup of tea, but my chosen career path isn't suited to everyone either; so, I wouldn't insult anyone who chooses to become a bus driver anymore than I would expect to be insulted for my career. Everyone has different goals, and finds satisfaction in different pursuits. Who am I to say the pursuit I find satisfaction in is anymore correct than the pursuit another person finds satisfaction in.

Last edited by MindBomber; 11-11-2012 at 06:59 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
Where's Hyde when we need him
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
Unless a bus driver drives 9.5hrs a day and non stop 7days / 52 weeks, then he makes 6 digits
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
You're entitled to the notion that leprechauns hide pots of gold at the end of rainbows too, but that's no more correct that what you've said here.

The pay rate for Translink drivers is comparable to that offered by good private companies, as a moment of research clearly demonstrates.

Class 1 Driver - $21-25
Class 1 Driver

Class 4 Driver - $18.45
Bus Driver (casual & vacation relief)

I don't get your rambling insults directed at people who choose a career as a bus driver.

A career as a bus driver is not my cup of tea, but my chosen career path isn't suited to everyone either; so, I wouldn't insult anyone who chooses to become a bus driver anymore than I would expect to be insulted for my career. Everyone has different goals, and finds satisfaction in different pursuits. Who am I to say the pursuit I find satisfaction in is anymore correct than the pursuit another person finds satisfaction in.
if you think driving a bus (class 1 or whatever license is required) is worth 100K+ then you are fucking nuts

supply and demand dictates salaries and wages, when the government comes in, restricts entrance through unions, etc, then they get skewed, EXACTLY the case for almost every unionized government and city worker

driving a big rig is one thing (travel away from home, long hours) - i'd be interested to see the difference in salary/wage between 18 wheeler and transit bus driver. big rig guy, due to the tough conditions, should get a significant premium - chances are, because of lack of unions and restrictions to entry (other than getting a class 1 or whatever license), the big rig guys earns less - that is the true indicator of actual value of bus drivers

and to all you that fail me, firstly, i don't care, but likely you are all living at home with parents, with no savings, and in this economy, only chance of a semi good life is through working a government restricted and subsidized job... or getting loads of money from your parents, neither are sustainable plans.

to those that work hard to get a good education, get a good job and high pay - supply and demand dictates the high pay, you are in low supply (high levels education - that means more than a degree - or willingness to live in oil fields), you can't not agree with me, UNLESS, of course, you love to pay a high tax rate, and no matter how good of a human being you are, you can't like paying >40% of every marginal dollar you earn, i know i hate it... i'd hate it less if i saw my money going to positive initiatives, but to overpaid bus drivers, overpaid city of Vancouver workers, wasteful politicians (politics - defined as (poli) many tic(k)s (blood sucking bugs)), etc, no thank you - let's take that money, help those that are down to get a job, improve our infrastructure, train people unable to get work.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
Unless a bus driver drives 9.5hrs a day and non stop 7days / 52 weeks, then he makes 6 digits
don't forget they probably get triple time on holidays, double on weekends, double if they work more than a regular working week
Old 11-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #19
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffleCopterz View Post

H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #20
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
if you think driving a bus (class 1 or whatever license is required) is worth 100K+ then you are fucking nuts

supply and demand dictates salaries and wages, when the government comes in, restricts entrance through unions, etc, then they get skewed, EXACTLY the case for almost every unionized government and city worker

driving a big rig is one thing (travel away from home, long hours) - i'd be interested to see the difference in salary/wage between 18 wheeler and transit bus driver. big rig guy, due to the tough conditions, should get a significant premium - chances are, because of lack of unions and restrictions to entry (other than getting a class 1 or whatever license), the big rig guys earns less - that is the true indicator of actual value of bus drivers

and to all you that fail me, firstly, i don't care, but likely you are all living at home with parents, with no savings, and in this economy, only chance of a semi good life is through working a government restricted and subsidized job... or getting loads of money from your parents, neither are sustainable plans.

to those that work hard to get a good education, get a good job and high pay - supply and demand dictates the high pay, you are in low supply (high levels education - that means more than a degree - or willingness to live in oil fields), you can't not agree with me, UNLESS, of course, you love to pay a high tax rate, and no matter how good of a human being you are, you can't like paying >40% of every marginal dollar you earn, i know i hate it... i'd hate it less if i saw my money going to positive initiatives, but to overpaid bus drivers, overpaid city of Vancouver workers, wasteful politicians (politics - defined as (poli) many tic(k)s (blood sucking bugs)), etc, no thank you - let's take that money, help those that are down to get a job, improve our infrastructure, train people unable to get work.
Have you even read anything in this thread? Did you miss the posts that actually listed bus drivers' salaries? Holy.... Those who choose to go to university risk the chance of not being able to be employed in the field they studied. It's a risk you should be aware of. All government jobs pay well, so it isn't surprising that the starting rate is the way it is.

As for the fare checkers, I am pretty sure that the OP meant transit police.

and btw, I live on my own, finished university, and have a very secure job.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #21
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:

Based on the highest pay tier: 29.20 x 40/hours week x 52 weeks = $60,736 - where exactly are you getting the $100k+ figure?

If you're interested in a comparison between the wage earned by a class 1 driver working in private industry and a Coast Mountain bus driver, refer to my above response. A class 1 driver with 2 years experience, working locally, not long haul, is offered between $21-25/hour starting out with a company. A class 1 driver working out of town is paid by the mile, not the hour, and usually owns his truck, so a hourly wage comparison would be extremely difficult.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #22
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
Have you even read anything in this thread? Did you miss the posts that actually listed bus drivers' salaries? Holy.... Those who choose to go to university risk the chance of not being able to be employed in the field they studied. It's a risk you should be aware of. All government jobs pay well, so it isn't surprising that the starting rate is the way it is.

As for the fare checkers, I am pretty sure that the OP meant transit police.

and btw, I live on my own, finished university, and have a very secure job.
Those who choose to attend university also often master the art of skimming while missing information that disagrees with their arguments.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #23
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:

I deal with both LTL and OTR drivers every day. Sure, some of them make six figures, but the majority of them make far less than that. Many of them are also O/O's, so they're paid differently. As Mindbomber demonstrated, a bus driver makes far less than six figures.

You also have to realize that many bus drivers are subjected to a large amount of emotional abuse. A friend of mine drives a community bus and the horror stories she comes home with and shares every week makes me wonder why she continues to do her job.

Quote:
So if someone is deemed "unsuccessful," their opinion is automatically deemed null and void? Hrm, interesting...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #24
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
The math that equated 28 bucks an hour to 100k+ a year is very impressive.....
I don't understand the fucking fury that 4444 is in over this wage is as well. 21-28 bucks an hour is pretty reasonable. Its not a ton, and its not shitty. Its real far from 100k a year.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #25

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Yea, $21-29 is perfect for drivers.

Anymore, and even I would admit its too much. Any less? That would put them in the $15-20/ hour group.

They are responsible to get you to your place on time, deal with traffic, and as mentioned, abuse.

Now, city workers .. That's a bit of a different story
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote