REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
CBC: Hidden camera shows underage teens served alcohol

not really surprised by the outcome ...
Hidden camera shows underage teens served alcohol - British Columbia - CBC News

Personally, if I were the kids doing the investigation I wouldn't really want my picture out there :/

I also like how they're like HAS CAUGHT HALF OF THE B.C. LOWER MAINLAND RESTAURANTS....which is actually just 2

Quote:
A CBC News hidden-camera investigation has caught half of the B.C. Lower Mainland restaurants that it tested selling alcoholic drinks to minors.

In the investigation, a group composed of three 18-year-olds and one 17-year-old was sent to four establishments. The CBC asked the three males and one female to order alcohol, but not to drink it if they were served. Provincial laws prohibit anyone under 19 years old from being served or sold liquor.

All four teens went together to Ebisu restaurant on Robson Street in Vancouver where they ordered a pitcher of beer and were served within minutes of sitting down.

The same night, the Keg Steakhouse & Bar on Still Creek Avenue in Burnaby served red wine to two of the 18-year-olds, who went in as a couple. Another Keg waitress served beer to the two other teens who were sitting in the bar area.

All four left their drinks untouched and later left.

Outside the restaurant afterwards, the teens offered their own theories about why they were served.

"It was just really casual,” said Jack Hu, 17. "I guess [the server] just thought we were older."

Aidan Ponton, 18, said he suspected the waitress sympathized with them.

"I guess she just saw us, just some younger kids and she knew what it was like, she'd been in that position before and she didn't hesitate," Ponton said.

Ben Roberts, 18, saw a monetary motive.

"They are making money off of it, a lot of money and I don't think that's their main priority to obey the law."

"[If] your employer's not forcing you to ID then you're not going to," said 18-year-old Katherine Gillard.

When later confronted with the results of the CBC News investigation, the management at Ebisu said they were shocked and embarrassed and promised to be more vigilant in checking identification.

A Keg spokesperson admitted its servers did not follow procedures and the restaurant chain will now redouble its training.

The teens also visited the Cactus Club and Boston Pizza, on Lougheed Highway in Burnaby. Both restaurants asked for government-issued identification and when the teens couldn't produce it, they were refused service.

The penalty for a first offence ranges from $7,500 to $10,000 or a 10-to-15- day licence suspension. Licensees can either accept the penalty or request an enforcement hearing.

CBC News has also learned the provincial government has recently begun doing its own secret spot checks of restaurant compliance with the law through its Minors as Agents Program. It found that 20 out of 29 restaurants — more than two-thirds — served alcohol to underage teens.
Advertisement

Last edited by ilvtofu; 11-16-2012 at 05:02 PM.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,733 Times in 954 Posts
Shocking, not... is anyone surprised?

1: Carding ppl takes time and the servers don't want to do it.
2: Mow money
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,148 Times in 262 Posts
Lol snap
Isn't the owner of ebisu a member here
Posted via RS Mobile
2 n r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
why would they go ebisu, good people there, just busy as hell so i can not blame them.. (can not blame the workers)
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
oh noes underage drinking
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
why would they go ebisu, good people there, just busy as hell so i can not blame them.. (can not blame the workers)
They're known to be a bit more lenient on checking ID. I think the investigations go off of tips people send in and I wouldn't be surprised if Ebisu was mentioned.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 01:35 PM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
That's ironic, because the employees are really the only ones to blame. Now they will have cost their employers a ton of money and will probably lose their jobs as well. All because they wouldn't spend a couple of minutes to check IDs.
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
what was the point of this?? doesnt matter if you stop restaurants from serving underage kids alcohol they are still going to get liquor its not hard for kids to get.
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Even with evidence, would those businesses be fined, since it wasn't an official inspection?
Posted via RS Mobile
Presto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Drinking laws blow here.

Bunch of stiffs in this province.

I don't understand how we can responsibly teach teenagers to drive cars at the age of 16, but to give them a beer with a meal it's like you are committing murder.

As I grow older I begin to see that laws like this only cause more problems than they solve.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #12

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
i guess this explains why ive been getting ID'd everywhere now. and im old and have homer simpson permastubble.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
what was the point of this?? doesnt matter if you stop restaurants from serving underage kids alcohol they are still going to get liquor its not hard for kids to get.
Just because they can get it with ilegal means does not mean it should not be regulated. I mean, you can buy a gun with no serial numbers from a guy who knows a guy if you really want to, but we sure as hell are not going to give them away like recycling bins.
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
I bringith the lowerballerith

Should do this more often.
One of the reasons i avoid certain drinking places is because they serve alcohol to minors.
Not only is it illegal, its annoying as fuck and kills the atmosphere when i see a highschooler drinking in my vicinity.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #15
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Just because they can get it with ilegal means does not mean it should not be regulated. I mean, you can buy a gun with no serial numbers from a guy who knows a guy if you really want to, but we sure as hell are not going to give them away like recycling bins.
i think guns and alcohol are in two separate categories. its just that this type of thing doesn't really bother me, id rather see the resources used on something else. if we were having an epidemic of drunk kids getting seriously injured or something like that then sure.
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
i think guns and alcohol are in two separate categories. its just that this type of thing doesn't really bother me, id rather see the resources used on something else. if we were having an epidemic of drunk kids getting seriously injured or something like that then sure.
I think that's one of the reasons it's regulated. Let's admit it, kids are dumb, you were prob dumb, I was dumb, most kids are dumb. Last week I saw a kid surfing on top of a moving Jeep his buddy was driving. The buddy takes a corner and he bails into someone's hedge. Kids are dumb.

Let's not give them easy access to dumb enhancement juice. Yeah.... let's not lol.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #17

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
how can u compare buying a gun with liquor...lol
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
how can u compare buying a gun with liquor...lol
Ask the ATF

I'm just stating that just becasue you can get something with less than legal means, does not mean we should give up on regulation.
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
Drinking laws blow here.

Bunch of stiffs in this province.

I don't understand how we can responsibly teach teenagers to drive cars at the age of 16, but to give them a beer with a meal it's like you are committing murder.

As I grow older I begin to see that laws like this only cause more problems than they solve.
Thought you worked in the clubs?

Ppl that are 30 in van can't handle their liquor, what makes u think a 16yo can lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #20
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Agree with the kids are dumb sentiment. The reason the drinking laws are there is to protect these kids as many of them are immature and irresponsible. Yes, there are some that would be able to be responsible drinkers but they have to protect the masses. Also many parents do not what there kids drinking and until there adults they cannot make that decision (legally) for themselves.

Not sure why someone would say the servers aren't to blame, of course they are. The laws are simple, you want to serve alcohol you make sure you're serving it to people of legal age. I had someone who wouldn't sell me lottery tickets the other day because I forgot my ID at home, I'm in my late 30's. I was annoyed but at the same time the guy was doing his job. There is no excuse really for restaurants or bars that serve to minors. In a perfect world the kids trying to buy the stuff should get dragged home by there ear and presented to their parents but unfortunately there isn't the manpower or resources for that.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 11-16-2012 at 12:40 PM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #21
I bringith the lowerballerith

^^ dont forget it protects their developing bodies as well.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #22

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Ask the ATF

I'm just stating that just becasue you can get something with less than legal means, does not mean we should give up on regulation.
why not

regulating human consumption behavior is useless. look at the war on drugs
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #23
I STILL don't get it

I think we should make the Skytrain close even earlier!! That way more and more people have less options for a safe ride and can drive home drunk from the clubs killing innocent people.

The fact that the Skytrain closes hours before the bars/night clubs close is beyond a joke.. But keep spending money on social housing, shoot-up sites, and feeding the poor/filth.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #24
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Quote:
Ask the ATF

Fuck ATF, the SOA runs loops around them.

knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #25
Banned (ABWS)

Fucking snitches.
Posted via RS Mobile
lospollos is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: