REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Keurig vs. The Tassimo (https://www.revscene.net/forums/676747-keurig-vs-tassimo.html)

FerrariEnzo 11-18-2012 06:01 AM

The Keurig vs. The Tassimo

This would be helpful if someone have had both or used both.. inputs would be great.

The Keurig only brews Coffee, Tea and Hot Chocolate.
The Tassimo can also make Cappuccinos and Lattes..

Not sure which would be good.. I dont usually drink Cappuccinos and Lattes but having the option would be great..

Starbucks is now using Keurig and Tim horton using Tassimo.. hmm...

BigTrollFace 11-18-2012 07:22 AM

Tassimo can do tea and hot chocolate as well. Americanos etc

Keurig taste like powder coffee, tassimo with the vacuum sealed containers stay pretty fresh

cdizzle_996 11-18-2012 07:28 AM

In for some info!
Posted via RS Mobile

Soundy 11-18-2012 07:55 AM

We had the first one of these that came out, the Melita one:one - the wife wanted one so much, they didn't have them in Canada... had my parents pick one up on a trip to Oregon, had to pop down to Bellis Fair every now and then to stock up on the pods.

Biggest problem with these things is they only do tiny cups. I love my 12oz coffee mug but it barely even fits on the machine and still looks empty after it runs.

skiiipi 11-18-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8084205)
We had the first one of these that came out, the Melita one:one - the wife wanted one so much, they didn't have them in Canada... had my parents pick one up on a trip to Oregon, had to pop down to Bellis Fair every now and then to stock up on the pods.

Biggest problem with these things is they only do tiny cups. I love my 12oz coffee mug but it barely even fits on the machine and still looks empty after it runs.

Nabob breakfast brew fills a full 16oz cup to the top.

The new Starbucks Verissimo is nice too, does lattes and coffee
Posted via RS Mobile

Matlock 11-18-2012 08:29 AM

I love my Keurig, although I don't really use the k-cups. (My favorite k-cup would be the chai)
But, really good if you like using your own beans.

I usually grind my own, then put them in the little reusable k-cup filter thing. Tastes awesome and very good if you don't want to make a whole pot every time. Also, much faster than drip coffee machines.

http://www.espressoplanet.com/images...eurig-Alt1.jpg
Worth the money for me. I never goto starbucks anymore.

I've also tried Tassimo. Not really my thing since you can't use your own beans. I also found that it brews too small of a cup for me. I guess it's ok if you like smaller cups. Their beverages tasted good.

Soundy 11-18-2012 08:35 AM

Fresh ground FTW. I love my Cuisinart Grind'n'Brew! CUISINART CANADA Fully Automatic Burr Grind & Brew Thermal™ 12 Cup Coffeemaker DGB-900BCC

http://www.cuisinart.ca/img/products/dgb-900bcc_lg.jpg

Gridlock 11-18-2012 08:38 AM

My mom has the keurig, and I have the tassimo.

I do like the latte option on the tassimo, but for me(huge coffee drinker) the grind your own beans thing for the keurig is awesome. I don't know if mom just bought shit coffee, or it was super old, but the cups for her machine didn't taste that good(but I was at the bottom of an assortment box, so I was drinking the emeril 'bam' coffee and paul newmans own blend) Once I found the fill it yourself thing, the coffee was very good.

The tassimo disks are expensive. Not sure what the price is of keurig. Tassimo also seems to be really available.

asahai69 11-18-2012 08:50 AM

get the keurig if your using it for coffee. if you like sub-par lattes and stuff. get the tassimo

i personally have both and i have not touched the tassimo in months

european 11-18-2012 08:51 AM

My father loves the Tassimo machine thingy, he uses it like 4 times a day haha. Tassimo does coffee, hot chocolate, and tea. Tim Hortons and Tassimo did some collaboration and you can now purchase Tim Hortons coffee for Tassimo machines. My father bought some last night, he's on his second cup this morning :pokerface:

I love the smell of fresh coffee beans but I do not like or drink coffee so I have no clue which one is better. I just see my father use the machine quite often during the weekends.

FerrariEnzo 11-18-2012 09:07 AM

So for the Keurig machine, it acutally grinds the beans for you or you need to grind it with another machine?

I heard about the fill-it yourself with the keurig, so that would save tons of money...

Hondaracer 11-18-2012 09:09 AM

I find the keurigs my friends have take 2-3 minutes to brew where as the tassimo starts instantly
Posted via RS Mobile

GLOW 11-18-2012 09:12 AM

i own both. i made a thread asking this same thing like 2 years ago but didn't get the response i was hoping for so i eventually got both. my 2 cents i hope it helps. sorry for the lengthy post. probably better you not go my route and buy both :lawl:

keurig is a better coffee maker and the kcups are cheaper. if you shop around or buy bulk (the 50 pack at costco) you can get them for 50 cents each (approximately). keurig also has a wider selection of coffee, especially with van houtte. they have my fav hazel nut flavour. you can get adapter/filters where you can grind your own coffee and use it to make coffee. it's nice, more environmentally better but takes time cleaning the filter each time. the OEM keurig filter costs around $18 plus tax. it does get to be a super PITA cleaning the thing out each time though. it's nice using just kcups when you're on the run to pop it in and go

i bought a tassimo because i was the only one that drank coffee and my wife never used the keurig for hot chocolate. it's nice to be able to make fancy drinks like latte's, capacino's, espresso's etc. make no mistake though, if you want it to taste like something you get from starbucks for $5 - that it wont do. but the same can be said for coffee with the keurig if you're a coffee snob.

coffee with the tassimo. for me, it's OK b/c i'm not a snob but the quality of the keurig is indeed better. the discs of the tassimo are indeed more pricy. on sale or at a reasonable price the fancy drinks come out to about $1 per pod. coffee on sale can be around $0.75 if you look around. i drink french vanilla because they didn't have hazelnut until recently (still don't see it in stores).
the cool thing that tassimo advertises is the bar code. volume & heat is determined based on the code for the drink. it tells you the size of cup to use. someone mentioned wanting a larger coffee....that's breakfast blend. my 1st mistake was putting a smaller coffee cup in it...thing overflowed :lawl: the package tells you what size of cup to you.

final verdict: if you're going to use it to make coffee 90% of the time and cost per drink is an issue - go keurig. i suggest the mini (single cup brewer) that's what i had and i like just putting 1 cup of water each time so it doesn't get stale in the resevour of the larger keurig machines. if you make coffee 50% and latte/etc 50%, and possibly entertain and offer warm drinks to people - go tassimo. if you're a health nut, the yummy milk drinks - mochiatto, vanilla latte, chai tea latte, etc are high in fat & cholestoral. skinny latte has no fat or cholestoral (i forget which one - i think fat?).

in the end i gave the keurig to my brother in law because i only had room for 1 on my kitchen counter and liked to switch between lattes and coffees.

hope this helped in your decision.

PS: no the keurig doesn't grind. you do it yourself. either get SB to do it when you buy from them, buy ground ahead of time or go to superstore or whatever and bag/grind it yourself there i guess.
Keurig can brew in like a minute which is nice. brew go brush teeth and come back and you're good. tassimo takes slightly longer, and you can add more water by holding the button down. my mini keurig didn't have the option, maybe higher models do.

Matlock 11-18-2012 09:52 AM

Keurig is also faster than a drip coffee machine, as it forces water through the little reusable coffee filter. Sometimes I'll wake up late with 10 minutes before I have to leave for work and just pop my filter in, hit brew and still have time to get dressed, etc.

As mentioned above, you will need your own grinder if you're planning to buy whole beans. Otherwise you can always buy ground coffee as I did for a year before getting the grinder.

Graeme S 11-18-2012 11:37 AM

I've got a buddy who I think still works at starbucks, so I'm looking at the Starbucks Versimo coffee maker (gonna borrow their discount during the christmas sale). Anyone had the chance to sample any of their coffees? I'd mainly be using it for coffee at home, and I can see that the thingie doesn't fit large cups (sadly), but I'm wondering at the quality if anyone's sampled.

GLOW 11-18-2012 12:21 PM

a coworker bought a sb mini espresso machine off CL and said it was pretty good, just like the store but that's about all i've heard about sb machines

fliptuner 11-18-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8084227)
Fresh ground FTW. I love my Cuisinart Grind'n'Brew!

http://www.cuisinart.ca/img/products/dgb-900bcc_lg.jpg

I've been using my 10 cup model, every morning, for the better part of the last 7 years. Preset, doubles as an alarm clock when I hear the grinder going.

Love it.

http://www.cuisinart.ca/cuisinart_pr...id=61&cat_id=2

Soundy 11-18-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8084401)
I've been using my 10 cup model, every morning, for the better part of the last 7 years. Preset, doubles as an alarm clock when I hear the grinder going.

Yep, that grinder wakes me up most mornings, despite the kitchen being all the way downstairs :) Thermal carafe is amazing, too - coffee is still nice and hot 4+ hours later without being burnt.

Gunsmokez 11-18-2012 12:56 PM

I have the The Keurig, Tassimo and Nespresso.

Final outcome, I use the only Keurig and wife uses Nespresso. Tassimo has been put away.

FerrariEnzo 11-18-2012 01:39 PM

Im leaning towards the Keurig.. Im not really into the fancier coffees...

Thanx for the input guys...

GLOW 11-18-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunsmokez (Post 8084421)
I have the The Keurig, Tassimo and Nespresso.

Final outcome, I use the only Keurig and wife uses Nespresso. Tassimo has been put away.

i almost got the nespresso too after they had hot chocolate samples out but i was like ffs i gotta stop myself, that's how i got sucked in to the other 2 in the first place :facepalm:

nah 11-18-2012 05:22 PM

Anyone else got the Nepresso? It's supposedly the best out of the 3 as the pods are fresher, but more expensive.

Graeme S 11-18-2012 05:27 PM

What I'm looking for is basically:

Regular coffee/decaf coffee
Doesn't taste like ass
Won't break my fucking wallet (ie: it's less than $1/cup for the packs).

Hmm...mayhaps some googling is in order.

PJ 11-18-2012 05:48 PM

I find the responses pretty interesting in here.

I have the Tassimo at home, and the Keurig in my office. I use both on a daily basis.

Personally, I prefer the Tassimo in every way. It has the latte/cappucino option (not that I use it much). But most importantly, I find the coffee just tastes all around better.

I have tried over 10 different types of K-cup coffee, and it always seems to taste really weak to me, no matter what kind of K-cup I use.

Where as for the Tassimo, most of them are pretty consistent, and it just tastes.. fresher?

I'm intrigued at how some people in here straight up prefer the Keurig. I would take the Tassimo any day. I guess different strokes for different folks.

GLOW 11-18-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ (Post 8084614)
I have tried over 10 different types of K-cup coffee, and it always seems to taste really weak to me, no matter what kind of K-cup I use.

Where as for the Tassimo, most of them are pretty consistent, and it just tastes.. fresher?

I'm intrigued at how some people in here straight up prefer the Keurig. I would take the Tassimo any day. I guess different strokes for different folks.

for me it the taste test was between french vanilla since they're essentially the same (or supposed to be) the same flavour of coffee. the keurig one tasted better to me (diff strokes like you said). i might have a diff tune if i tried americanos etc. but i didn't want to buy a box of it and find out i didn't like it and get stuck with a bunch. unlike keurig i haven't seen a tassimo variety pack.
i've only tried tassimo french vanillas and breakfast blend. keurig i've tried i think 2 diff variety packs. they have a LOT of diff types of coffees from diff manufacturers.