REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
bad roommate

not for me, for my gf, but...

she has a shitty roommate, hes so bad that the landlords are evicting him and he has until the end of the month to leave.

long story short, hes a slob...

he has pets that he doesnt look after, and while my gf is at work, he sits at hoome (unemployed) and lets his pets piss and shit all over the suite, which has resulted in her black leather couch being completely destroyed and having to have it thrown out.

he agreed to pay her for it, but hes got a few days left and is avoiding her at all costs claiming that hes "lost his phone and wallet"...(aka he cant pay his bills so they've probably cut his phone)

shes curious if theres anything she can do here? shes already threatened him to take him to small claims court and etc for all the other things he owes her money for and etc... but she just wants to know if theres any way she can just make him pay...by like holding something of his or just pulling the asshole card and "accidently ruin" something of his of equal value..

any one know of anything? or if its a lost cause and just stay pissed and treat him like shit till the day he leaves...which shes also scared of because the day he leaves, she'll be at work, and shes scared he'll take things of hers.
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
How about be treat him nicely and see how he responds

If you receive anger and turn to hate on a person you'll just make yourself mad for no reason
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

A. why was he not kicked out if unemployed for too long and always borrowing money
B. Why did he move in if he cant be trusted
C. why was he not kicked out for being a slob and ruining the house and personal possessions.

Should have been told to leave after the issues started to appear,NOT after everything has gotten to the point of being evicted. I dont believe there is any thing she can really do other then take a lose on it.. maybe someone else knows of something she can do....

Best of luck
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha v2 View Post
How about be treat him nicely and see how he responds

If you receive anger and turn to hate on a person you'll just make yourself mad for no reason
Posted via RS Mobile
ps - this was a random craigslist roomate that she found

and believe me, shes tried for the past 5 months to be nice and give him the benefit of the doubt...

Quote:
A. why was he not kicked out if unemployed for too long and always borrowing money
B. Why did he move in if he cant be trusted
C. why was he not kicked out for being a slob and ruining the house and personal possessions.

Should have been told to leave after the issues started to appear,NOT after everything has gotten to the point of being evicted. I dont believe there is any thing she can really do other then take a lose on it.. maybe someone else knows of something she can do....

Best of luck
he had a job for the first 2-3 weeks when he moved in

she had only met him for a screening prior to moving in, and im assuming he bullshitted his brains out

she told the landlords constantly, and even they tried to give him the benefit of the doubt...but now its come to this...

i was at her place last weekend, the landlords come in, take one smell, and look around in disgust saying the entire place smells like a fucking litter box..

shes an extremely clean person, and when she has to clean up after someone and basically be a mother to someone whos older than her...it gets annoying...and she has told him to clean up from the start, she has all the texts etc to prove it...she would text him to please clean his dishes, hed reply saying "sure ill do it after lunch", she'd come home at 9pm...now theres even more dishes...ive seen the way he acts and lives, its flat out disgusting...its not like he started to live like this all at once, when he moved in, he was clean...then i guess he lost his job...then he started to not clean, leave dirty dishes for up to 5 days on the kitchen counter...would walk around on the carpets with his shoes on leaving mud stains...now theres cat piss stains on everything, the walls, the carpets, furniture, cat are clawing the sides of the reclining chairs...

shes on the verge of having a mental breakdown and beating the shit out of him hahaha
Old 11-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
ps - this was a random craigslist roomate that she found
Always been iffy about that shit, and this proved my gut right....
I thought this was someone she knew that moved in with her
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolowtone View Post
Always been iffy about that shit, and this proved my gut right....
I thought this was someone she knew that moved in with her
nope, which is why i still live at home..fuck renting, id rather save up and buy a place and let someone else live with me...let them pay my mortgage off.

but back on track lol, is there anything she can do here to get her money back?

if anyone knows, what are some of her options here?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
might be worthwhile to take the day off and issue him small claims papers

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 11-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
might be worthwhile to take the day off and beat the shit outta him
fixed.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nechako87 View Post
fixed.
i like your style lol

but hes a smalllll guy, my gf would shit stomp him hahaha..

ive told her to file a small claims suit with him...but so far shes just threatened him with saying she will do it if he doesnt pay up before he leaves...but lets get real...once he leaves she'll never see his face again...

shes thinking about just holding one of his computers hostage or something or taking his clothes (he uses the laundry closet as his personal closet for his clothes...) and not give em back till he hands over money lol
Old 11-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #10

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Taking a guy to small claims court when he's
-unemployed
-can't pay his phone bill
-someone you met off craigslist

Sounds like a plan.

Cut your losses. WTF took her so long.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
-unemployed

Sounds like a plan.

Yup lol, but at least with a court order he'll be forced to get the money opposed to just dodging her every chance he gets till she gives up
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
TBH here.. Tell her to TAKE THE DAY OFF when he moves out.

He sounds like a guy who would take abunch of her shit with him on the way out. And once he's gone your pretty much SOL if you can't contact him. (No phone or any information)

To the point where he's ruined your gf's shit, I'd say it's either small claims court or just let it be. IMO I'd be pissed off, but the hassle of court just isn't worth it to me, I'd rather burn something he loves right infront of his face.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
Old 11-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
TBH here.. Tell her to TAKE THE DAY OFF when he moves out.

He sounds like a guy who would take abunch of her shit with him on the way out. And once he's gone your pretty much SOL if you can't contact him. (No phone or any information)

To the point where he's ruined your gf's shit, I'd say it's either small claims court or just let it be. IMO I'd be pissed off, but the hassle of court just isn't worth it to me, I'd rather burn something he loves right infront of his face.

She's already started to have to move virtually everything she owns into her bedroom for that reason...whatever's left out are the large items, sofas, chairs, china cabinet...etc

I've told her to take the day off but she says she can't...but if anyone is free to sit there and supervise him, she'll give you all the beer you like to just sit n supervise him lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #14

OP trusts random RS member to sit in gfs apartment while deadbeat roommate moves out.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nechako87 View Post
OP trusts random RS member to sit in gfs apartment while deadbeat roommate moves out.
Was meant as a joke lol, as in anyone is safer to trust than her current roommate
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #16

RS meet to watch the guy and creep him out?
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
I feel like Gridlock and Dino can provide some advice here.

Side note, don't take his shit. You can't do this ransom situation thing. It isn't going to work and will actually work against you.

I've moved this to VOT (with a redirect) so that Dino and Grid will likely see this.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #18
I STILL don't get it

threaten him with the small claim court. But since you know he probably can't pay, try to settle with him by having him clean the entire apartment properly including that couch!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #19
I STILL don't get it

post pic of your gf. Then we can help you find a room mate! = )
Old 11-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
There isn't really anything she can do in regards to recouping money under the residential tenancy laws. Also, taking someone to small claims for a couch is ridiculous, a waste of time, and a waste of tax payers' money. At most, she would get $100 for it....and that is a stretch.

Going forward, if she chooses to do this again, she can protect herself by having the roommate sign a tenancy agreement with her. Essentially, she would be the "landlord" and the roommate would be the "tenant". This works great for these types of situations (renting a room, etc). She takes a security deposit from the tenant/roommate (including a pet deposit in required) which will protect her belonging and any damage to the apartment that was not caused by her.

This 'tenancy agreement' would also allow her to evict a bad roommate for any clause of the tenancy act that he/she breaks. She will, however, need to talk to her landlord to make sure it is okay, because it could turn into a sub-lease issue should she ever leave and some agreements do not allow a property to be sub-lease or have different rules and regulations pertaining to them.

Personally, I do not like having my tenants rent a room to someone else as all potential renters need to be properly vetted. Credit, reference, etc all need to be checked and I can not guarantee that this has been done to any standard. Normally when one of my tenants has another person move in we will amend the tenancy agreement to include all people living there...this allows all occupants to be treated equally and avoids problems when one of them moves out.

As an aside, your gf is VERY lucky that she is not being evicted as well. Yes, I understand that she may have not cause damage, mess, etc to begin with, but she is essentially responsible for the rental property. She also needs to know that any damage created by this roommate is her problem...she will have to clean and repair anything problems and if not, will have to pay for them. I would sincerely thank her landlords for not going after her for all of this...
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,687 Times in 1,624 Posts
I am amazed that RS went through 17 (semi) serious posts before someone asked for pictures of g/f.

This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #22

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Apart from the pissed on couch, what else does he owe her money for?

What kind of lease did she get into in this apartment if any?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #23
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,031 Times in 2,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
nope, which is why i still live at home..fuck renting, id rather save up and buy a place and let someone else live with me...let them pay my mortgage off.
It's really that easy folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #24
I subscribe to Revscene

Have your girl secretly audio record him reassuring repayment then when he doesnt pay, the courts should compensate something worth the trouble.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #25
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
-unemployed

Sounds like a plan.

He couldn't Pay Rent So he was Paying her in Sexxx till the landlords came around.
Fucking Craigslist relationship Friends with Benefit ads
Closed Thread