REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #26
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGuy View Post

LOL, that is soooo true and funny altogether!! I couldn't rephrase it better... our generation did have more tolerance and "know-how" of our surroundings. Maybe it was a simpler time and even mostly from our parents/families' teaching/life lessons.
You scrap your knee, suck it up and put a bandaid (and thats probably after hours and hours later when we got home), you did something wrong at school and teachers would call your parents and you probably got spanked at home where nowadays the parents will blame the teacher for not watching over the kid. Most of all IMO, parents/families would be involved in their kids young life to make sure their life direction was the correct way...guidelines, teachings, priorities, and knew who their friends were. Nowadays, you got little Susie facebook/tweet/whatever to some old perv and hope they will make good with what google has taught them...

I dont know what others had at young age, but I come from a poor family and only got whatever my family could afford. A basketball could last me for the whole year of presents, no matter how many holidays/birthday. I made due, played hours on hours at school til sundown... good times...
i can remember a few times where i'd be out playing with my friend who lived down the street...would play wwf on an old matress we found in an alley, we carried it into a forested area at the top of the street (our fort was in there) and we would fight on it...few times id get cut up from being thrown off and landing in the prickle bushes, start bleeding, come home 6 hours later and my mom would have to wash me down cause i had so much dirt stuck inside the cuts...

my cable went up to chanel 38...and i didnt have a nintendo..i was allergic to pollen, yet i have 2 dogs and 4 birds, being around it so often im fine with it now.

kids get fucking babied now
Advertisement
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
It's funny cause we think that kids these days are babies, and when I was a kid I'd hear my dad talk about how spoiled us 80s kids are and how he never even had his own room and shit. I wonder what the next gen kids are going to complain about when they're older.

"Kids these days, remember when we were young and had to watch tv in HD, and our iPhones were only 64 gigs lol."
Posted via RS Mobile
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #28
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
i can remember a few times where i'd be out playing with my friend who lived down the street...would play wwf on an old matress we found in an alley, we carried it into a forested area at the top of the street (our fort was in there) and we would fight on it...few times id get cut up from being thrown off and landing in the prickle bushes, start bleeding, come home 6 hours later and my mom would have to wash me down cause i had so much dirt stuck inside the cuts...

my cable went up to chanel 38...and i didnt have a nintendo..i was allergic to pollen, yet i have 2 dogs and 4 birds, being around it so often im fine with it now.

kids get fucking babied now
Yeah, and I used to have chores. Like actual chores...like we're stacking wood...for 8 hours. Hope you didn't have a Saturday planned.

My sister's kids, and her step-kids(7 total) were going insane with games. She had just lost control on it. So she snapped. Bring me every machine in the house. In the closet it goes. First one that gets smart and sneaks it out when I'm not here watches me sell it. The kids can now ask to play a game. I don't know, I still get freaked out when I hear a 7 year old describe how he's going to kill a character on screen with a head shot. Not cool in my world.

I don't know, I'm not a parent so all I can do is watch from the sidelines, but when I watch her husband taking his kid(not hers) to future shop to line up to buy some game that was just released that night to be waiting for a store to open...at 10 pm..on a school night...dude, give your head a shake! You may be going for parent of the year on coolness, but what are you really teaching the kid? I remember I had to be damned near dead to miss a day of school. Oh, he'll still go, but he'll be a zombie while there.

And my head being snapped off when I asked that question showed me we were a little defensive on the subject.

I personally don't think surrounding a child with a personal best buy is really adding to his/her life in a positive way. It sounds hokey, but surround him with books.

I had it lucky when I was a kid, that I grew up in a place that was like my own personal stanley park, without the rules. My idea of fun was being outdoors and gone. Today we are rowing down the river, tomorrow biking back to the old mines, and the next day riding for 2 hours to get to the closest town. Stay inside and play video games? Are you high?

Hell, my parents worst fear was that if something bad happened, they wouldn't know where to look. ...did you think of asking where I was going? They never did...the fact that they made me aware of the problem was enough to know that if I was going beyond my 'usual' haunts, then I'd instinctively leave a note. They trusted me.

From my helping around the house, when my dad left when I was 16, I was ready to go. I'd helped with every task over the years, so I did it. I remember being outside(we had a wood furnace) splitting wood while the snow was actually coming down. I knew to pick smaller pieces that would be dryer. I knew where the ax was, and how to use it. And I fucking plowed through.

I don't look at that as a "poor me" or anything of the kind. I look at it with pride. To this day, I'm a "get it done" person. So I could still give a dman to have the newest game, or biggest tv or newest whatever. I take pride in "this thing was junk, and I got another year out of it. Sweet!"

To relate us back, I think of all these parents that go around and coddle the shit out of their kids until they are 21 and then release them out to the world...are you nuts? Chores aren't punishment, they are training for life. If the kid can't learn to stay away from nuts at 12...they are going to be nuts at 20. This is where we get stupid people in their 20's...we train them to be that way from 10.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Face it, it ain't easy being a parent...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote