REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   eBay shipment possibly lost - Canada Post insurance claim (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677237-ebay-shipment-possibly-lost-canada-post-insurance-claim.html)

Acura604 11-28-2012 12:21 PM

eBay shipment possibly lost - Canada Post insurance claim

Before I begin to panic... i sold something off eBay and had it shipped off to the USA - Mississippi to be exact. Dropped it off at postal outlet Nov 19th to ship by small packets USA Air. Unfortunately, this service does not offer 'trackable' items.

Today (nov 28) i get an email from the buyer letting me know they have not received it yet.. i figured that last weeks US Thanksgiving may have delayed customs/shipping.

However... to prepare myself... how do i go on about claiming the Canada Post insurance on this package IF it has in fact been lost? what details do they require? Obviously i've kept the shipment receipt.

Meowjin 11-28-2012 12:24 PM

small packet takes 2-3 weeks.

it's probably too soon.

MG1 11-28-2012 12:30 PM

Plus, it's Christmas time. Nearing December = backlogs

PJ 11-28-2012 12:31 PM

Too soon. You'll probably be fine. Tell the buyer it's holiday time and things are probably congested at the post office.

bluejays 11-28-2012 12:43 PM

I wouldn't be too worried, I had a package sent to me from seattle on Nov 6, and didn't receive it until Nov 27, could be held up at customs, plus the delay due to thanksgiving and busyness of christmas

blum2001 11-28-2012 12:46 PM

I did this a few months ago when I sold some golf equipment on ebay.

Call Canada post and to open a claim, provide them with the tracking number and what I did was follow up with them every few days. Eventually I got a letter stating that the package has been lost. Once it was determined the package was lost and that I'd receive a cheque I refunded the buyer his full cost of the item + shipping.

But like everyone else is stating, it is the holidays so i'd give it more time. My case with Canada post took over 4 weeks until i opened a case.

mmmk 11-28-2012 12:47 PM

I'd say give it at 14 business days...so around 3 weeks. Then you can panic if it still hasn't arrived yet.

Dragon-88 11-28-2012 12:48 PM

Like everyone said you should be fine, I don't usually worry unless its more than 4 weeks. Either way I believe Canada Post only covers $100 if you dont purchase any additional insurance. But then again I only ship tracked items, so I'm not sure how that works for small packets.

G-spec 11-28-2012 12:55 PM

Had a Canada Post incident where a $700 electronic item was stolen. I had all the proof I needed including video footage, but they weren't interested in helping me reclaim my item because it would require them to pretty much admit they were at fault.
Short story they told me to FCK off and sent me a $100 cheque. The worst customer service experience I ever had, I hope you don't have to go through them because its absolutely hopeless, they know they're government and therefore untouchable, and they will act like it
Posted via RS Mobile

Sw0op 11-28-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-spec (Post 8093100)
Had a Canada Post incident where a $700 electronic item was stolen. I had all the proof I needed including video footage, but they weren't interested in helping me reclaim my item because it would require them to pretty much admit they were at fault.
Short story they told me to FCK off and sent me a $100 cheque. The worst customer service experience I ever had, I hope you don't have to go through them because its absolutely hopeless, they know they're government and therefore untouchable, and they will act like it
Posted via RS Mobile

did you pay for additional insurance?
packages are only only insured for the minimum...which is $100...

LP700-4 11-28-2012 08:37 PM

Speaking of ebay orders, i ordered some LED's on Oct.30th, its now almost Nov.30th and still no sign of the shipment. Seller shipped from HK with probably the cheapest option possible so no tracking number either. Msged the seller 2 days ago and no reply or anything yet.

WTF?

tiger_handheld 11-28-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile

If you had video evidence, why didn't you take it to the media? Steele on YOUR side ;)

reminds me of the TSA agent caught with an ipad.

ShadowBun 11-28-2012 08:54 PM

Tons of ebay items I bought havent arrived yet
Over 60 days basically...

AzNightmare 11-28-2012 09:07 PM

I always expect my eBay purchases to arrive between 2-3 weeks.
It's been pretty consistent with that, regardless of where I buy from.
Even when it's as close as Ontario.

And this is during normal season...

Tell him to "hold his horses", in a nice way.

ForeverYours 11-28-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LP700-4 (Post 8093492)
Speaking of ebay orders, i ordered some LED's on Oct.30th, its now almost Nov.30th and still no sign of the shipment. Seller shipped from HK with probably the cheapest option possible so no tracking number either. Msged the seller 2 days ago and no reply or anything yet.

WTF?

Bought a bunch of items from HK overseas around the last week of October as well.
Different packages are coming to my house everyday this week, and I'm still waiting for a couple more

Don't worry, your LED's should arrive by the end of this week or early next week

OTG-ZR2 11-28-2012 10:36 PM

Shipping from HK is messed. Stuff arrives super quick or in a month+

G-spec 11-28-2012 10:48 PM

no additional insurance was not paid and I wasnt happy about that, but it was out of my control, it was somebody sending me a present basically.

The video evidence is a front door camera, so basically according to Canada Post it showed in the system as scanned signed and delivered, end of story is what Canada Post told me...
And they were being smartasses saying, yea it was delivered somebody signed for it, yet they refused to tell me who signed for it.... I played along until it got nowhere fast, and that's when I told them I had video evidence to prove that the exact time down to the minute when this was supposedly "signed and delivered" that there was no Canada Post employee at my front door let alone me signing for it.
That's when they took an even harder line basically told me to take them to court and the conversation is over, and they would send me a $100 check whether I liked it or not.....

Reality is that postman whoever he was just straight up scanned the package as delivered and then stole it, plain and simple... I told them why the hell aren't they taking that into consideration, it's obvious as shit they have a thief there.....
But I think they're unionized so they didn't wanna touch him

SkinnyPupp 11-28-2012 11:08 PM

undercutters who use cheap shipping

fyi this is against seller policy and all you have to do is file a claim with eBay. even if you get your product since there is no way they can prove they sent it.
Posted via RS Mobile

mickz 11-29-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acura604 (Post 8093070)
Before I begin to panic... i sold something off eBay and had it shipped off to the USA - Mississippi to be exact. Dropped it off at postal outlet Nov 19th to ship by small packets USA Air. Unfortunately, this service does not offer 'trackable' items.

Today (nov 28) i get an email from the buyer letting me know they have not received it yet.. i figured that last weeks US Thanksgiving may have delayed customs/shipping.

However... to prepare myself... how do i go on about claiming the Canada Post insurance on this package IF it has in fact been lost? what details do they require? Obviously i've kept the shipment receipt.

Small Packet Air can take 6-12 business days and there is no guarantee it will arrive within that time frame.

All the info you need about making a claim is here: Canada Post

But yeah, Canada Post usually won't look too far into it unless the package is way overdue. I've shipped hundreds of packages throughout the years with Canada Post and they've only lost one. Mailed me a check for $100.

Meowjin 11-29-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile

i totally don't go to the police when my shit is stolen either.

Meowjin 11-29-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8093673)
undercutters who use cheap shipping

fyi this is against seller policy and all you have to do is file a claim with eBay. even if you get your product since there is no way they can prove they sent it.
Posted via RS Mobile

sent a 2kg small parcel to aus recently.

if it was larger than 2kg it would have been 150. Shipping was 57.

Big difference to keep them small.

G-spec 11-29-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meowjin (Post 8093727)
i totally don't go to the police when my shit is stolen either.

hey forum smartass, you don't think I tried that

It's a civil matter for civil court what the cops told me, nothing they could do really meaning nothing they wanted to do because government organizations stick with government organizations bottom line.
My only other option was the Canada Post "independent" ombudsman, which got me nowhere quickly as well.

gars 11-29-2012 09:42 AM

G-Spec: Did you get insurance for $700 when you sent it? If so, I would be very surprised they only sent $100 to you.

G-spec 11-29-2012 09:54 AM

^ no, like I said it was a gift being sent TO ME by someone else who didn't get the full insurance that would cover the full amount, I was the recipient.
Canada Post automatically covers you up to $100 of the worth of the item when you ship it, it's not even extra insurance it's just automatically combined into the price you pay for sending the item, that's from what they told me.
It's pretty stupid why you wouldn't pay an extra $20 or so bucks for the full insurance if you have something that pricey. And these Canada Post employees know this, they know which packages have the full insurance and which dont, because if my package DID have the full insurance, I'm sure there would have been more of an investigation than what was into it. This thief knowing it wasn't insured knew that there wouldn't be one since it wasn't insured, and it's why he took it.
I mean the balls to scan it as SIGNED and DELIVERED, that's like a fckin veteran employee knowing all the ins and outs of the game straight up, I give him his props I gotta admit, he hustled the game.

I wish OP the best, cuz once he has to go call up Canada Post, he's automatically on the losing side

Meowjin 11-29-2012 10:36 AM

The police are not a government organization, they simply uphold the laws of parliament.