REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
A December Challenge to Revscene - Random Acts of Kindness

As an extension of the venerable, "Random Acts of Kindness," thread, I propose a December challenge to the members of Revscene.

In the spirit of the holidays and final exams, times which can be as stressful and trying on the emotions as they are rewarding, each day this month perform one, "Random Act of Kindness."

Any act that brightens another person's day qualifies, no matter how significant.

You might:
resign your seat on the bus for a fellow passenger,
pay for the coffee of a person behind you in line,
lend a stranger a 14mm socket at 1am and proceed to help them install lowering springs,
offer someone less experienced a moment of advice or encouragement at the gym,
hold a door open or remember to thank a person for doing that for you,
compliment a co-worker on something,
smile at a person who looks down,
donate a food item at the grocery store,
make room for someone to merge ahead of you while driving,
drive someone home as a part of the Operation Rev Nose program,
or ANYTHING else that would even momentarily make you feel good if you were the recipient.

By the end of the month, all those little things will add up to a lot of good, especially if people remember to pass it on.

Each day post in this thread or the original thread to keep track and inspire other members.

Who's in?
Advertisement
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
I tipped the pizza delivery boy.
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,577 Times in 4,294 Posts
great idea Mindbomber. Get into the spirit of Christmas and giving the way things should be. Sometimes the littlest thing will mean so much to someone!!
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
I'm in. I work from home and don't get out much, but I'll do what I can.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Friend of mine posted this on her FB status just now:

Quote:
While we were out at Starbucks Kev noticed someone standing on the sidewalk holding a sign for the closing out sale at Zellers.

"Mom, the poor guy looks sick. Or depressed. What a crappy job. Let's buy him something."

He approached the guy a few minutes later with a hot chocolate. At first he looked totally stunned, then smiled and thanked us. I admit, I may have not even thought to do it without Kevin's insistence.

I have a pretty awesome kid.
She followed it up with this comment:

Quote:
I think, starting today, we're going to try to do something kind for someone - strangers or people we know, every day until Christmas. Forget the consumerism and snark that often follows this time of year. Anyone want to join? I'll blog it.
Think I'll point her to this thread and the other one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
The other day I gave someone my shopping cart before getting mine... she was somewhat shocked but very thankful. Her mom did that old school Hong Kong thing of "pretend not to notice anything" and she swept in and took the cart quickly and walked away looking down.

I literally LOL'd
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
This title intentionally left blank MOD

I try to do most of those things regularly. Including donating to Wikimedia/Wikipedia.

What we should be doing, instead of "getting into the spirit of the season" is making this the spirit of every season, all year long.

Then we'll have accomplished something.

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
PRINCESS

Im asking everyone to get me non-perishable food as my bday gift again this year so i can donate to the food bank.
Worked out pretty well last year.
Posted via RS Mobile
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post
I try to do most of those things regularly. Including donating to Wikimedia/Wikipedia.

What we should be doing, instead of "getting into the spirit of the season" is making this the spirit of every season, all year long.

Then we'll have accomplished something.
I do my best to have this attitude year round, and do my best to volunteer a bit on the side.

It truly is a good feeling, and very rewarding.

I get the impression some people find it taxing to extend simple kindness to people, which I don't really get.

Hopefully this challenge will motivate people to get started, and they'll continue come January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
The other day I gave someone my shopping cart before getting mine... she was somewhat shocked but very thankful. Her mom did that old school Hong Kong thing of "pretend not to notice anything" and she swept in and took the cart quickly and walked away looking down.

I literally LOL'd
Can you explain the old school Hong Kong thing, I don't understand.....
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
pay for the coffee of a person behind you in line

this is a great idea but i am sure most ppl would be like wtf creep
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

I have one to add that happened yesterday to me...

I was at UBC right by my office and lady drove up to me to tell me an old man had fallen and was bleeding from the head...my first thought was why she is telling me this and not doing anything her self...needless to say i dropped what I was doing and headed over to the area where she said the man was (in-between the hospital and Health parkade).

I go over to find an elderly man literally crawling on the ground in a small pool of blood trying to pick up his now broken pieces of glasses...I am sure others may have even walked by this man without even seeing him...I tried to help him so he could get balanced with his cane and luckily another random guy came to help me lift him.

I asked if he was ok to walk with me to the hospital urgent care area (maybe 300 meters away) as I did not want to leave him there. I held his arm as we walked over and because of the rain we walked under the covered area (anyone who knows UBC in this area knows that the covered area is a small pathway)....The thing the bugged me the most as we were walking slow the amount of people that cut us off to pass us...people in suits/students/delivery people/ect. all to much in a hurry to give us room to walk!!!!

Anyway I took him to urgent care where I handed him over to them...the man thanked me as did the receptionist there.

They actually called my office an hour later I guess giving an update that the guy was fine which was good to hear...

I guess not really a random act of kindness more of the right thing to do....it just really amazes me that people will walk past this man to 'pass' the info on...or because they are in a hurry try to cut you off while walking.

Anyway that is my contribution for today
krazynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal0g0dv2 View Post
pay for the coffee of a person behind you in line

this is a great idea but i am sure most ppl would be like wtf creep
that is because it has become so uncommon to do something and not expect much in return. Kind of like how i try to tell people their lights are burnt out, brake lights stuck on or their tire is going flat. I get the same first reaction when i wave them to put the window down
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #14
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazynuck View Post
I have one to add that happened yesterday to me...

I was at UBC right by my office and lady drove up to me to tell me an old man had fallen and was bleeding from the head...my first thought was why she is telling me this and not doing anything her self...needless to say i dropped what I was doing and headed over to the area where she said the man was (in-between the hospital and Health parkade).

I go over to find an elderly man literally crawling on the ground in a small pool of blood trying to pick up his now broken pieces of glasses...I am sure others may have even walked by this man without even seeing him...I tried to help him so he could get balanced with his cane and luckily another random guy came to help me lift him.

I asked if he was ok to walk with me to the hospital urgent care area (maybe 300 meters away) as I did not want to leave him there. I held his arm as we walked over and because of the rain we walked under the covered area (anyone who knows UBC in this area knows that the covered area is a small pathway)....The thing the bugged me the most as we were walking slow the amount of people that cut us off to pass us...people in suits/students/delivery people/ect. all to much in a hurry to give us room to walk!!!!

Anyway I took him to urgent care where I handed him over to them...the man thanked me as did the receptionist there.

They actually called my office an hour later I guess giving an update that the guy was fine which was good to hear...

I guess not really a random act of kindness more of the right thing to do....it just really amazes me that people will walk past this man to 'pass' the info on...or because they are in a hurry try to cut you off while walking.

Anyway that is my contribution for today
You did what no one else around you did that day. I would buy you a beer for being a good human.
Zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Sub'd
Posted via RS Mobile
Kilinim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #16
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

i'm hoping that this 'challenge' should not be only for the month of december but anytime of the year and all the time that you can...
Old 12-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #18
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
I went to McDonalds' yesterday to grab a quick snack after work. As I was lining up, there was a line already infront, and two young brothers behind me. I was checking my email when I overheard one of the brothers complain about who would get which contents of the meal. One of the brothers (I'm assuming the younger one) argued he never got any of the fries because the other sibling would eat them all. It was quite nostalgic because I remembered I was the same with my cousins when I was younger. I would never get any fries, at least not until the box was basically empty and I would get the burnt ones. It turns out their parents gave them just enough money to share one McChicken meal. When it was my turn to order, I got myself a chicken snack wrap and proceeded to order two chicken meals, supersized and also two ice cream cones. I turned around and told the kids to put away their money, and that I ordered for them. Their eyes lit up. Their initial reaction; handed me the money their parents gave them. I told them it was fine and the kids said thank you and just stared at each other in awe. The order was ready, I grabbed my chicken snack wrap, handed the big bag to the older brother. They said thank you once again and walked over to the sitting area, I was assuming the parents were sitting down waiting.

It felt very rewarding seeing the reaction on their faces, but honestly I did feel guilty afterwards feeding young boys an entire supersized mcdonalds' meal with an icecream lol

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #19
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I do my best to have this attitude year round, and do my best to volunteer a bit on the side.

It truly is a good feeling, and very rewarding.

I get the impression some people find it taxing to extend simple kindness to people, which I don't really get.

Hopefully this challenge will motivate people to get started, and they'll continue come January.

Can you explain the old school Hong Kong thing, I don't understand.....
a observation, maybe explain later
Posted via RS Mobile
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #20
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
need to be able to thank on mobile
Posted via RS Mobile
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #21
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Quote:
While we were out at Starbucks Kev noticed someone standing on the sidewalk holding a sign for the closing out sale at Zellers.

"Mom, the poor guy looks sick. Or depressed. What a crappy job. Let's buy him something."

He approached the guy a few minutes later with a hot chocolate. At first he looked totally stunned, then smiled and thanked us. I admit, I may have not even thought to do it without Kevin's insistence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizo View Post
I went to McDonalds' yesterday to grab a quick snack after work. As I was lining up, there was a line already infront, and two young brothers behind me. I was checking my email when I overheard one of the brothers complain about who would get which contents of the meal. One of the brothers (I'm assuming the younger one) argued he never got any of the fries because the other sibling would eat them all. It was quite nostalgic because I remembered I was the same with my cousins when I was younger. I would never get any fries, at least not until the box was basically empty and I would get the burnt ones. It turns out their parents gave them just enough money to share one McChicken meal. When it was my turn to order, I got myself a chicken snack wrap and proceeded to order two chicken meals, supersized and also two ice cream cones. I turned around and told the kids to put away their money, and that I ordered for them. Their eyes lit up. Their initial reaction; handed me the money their parents gave them. I told them it was fine and the kids said thank you and just stared at each other in awe. The order was ready, I grabbed my chicken snack wrap, handed the big bag to the older brother. They said thank you once again and walked over to the sitting area, I was assuming the parents were sitting down waiting.

It felt very rewarding seeing the reaction on their faces, but honestly I did feel guilty afterwards feeding young boys an entire supersized mcdonalds' meal with an icecream lol
I dunno...while that's really nice of you to do, if I was one of their parents, I'd feel really disrespected.....not everybody wants "help"...I know I'd never accept someone else buying me a meal because they pitied me and/or my living situation....

Buying a meal for someone with a sign up on the street asking for help - that's great...

Buying a meal for someone (who is not asking for it) because you pity them.....errr, no thanks.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by bballguy; 12-01-2012 at 11:49 PM.
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #22
In RS I Trust

stupid small one tonight but it was something.

Took the skytrain a couple of stops got out and as I was walking to my ride I saw a older again women going through her purse to grab her ticket. I just handed her mind and the look on her face she was really surprised I did that.

It wasn't much but it put a smile on her face which made it worth while.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #23
Ask me about killing a hobo and dumping his body in the river

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
stupid small one tonight but it was something.

Took the skytrain a couple of stops got out and as I was walking to my ride I saw a older again women going through her purse to grab her ticket. I just handed her mind and the look on her face she was really surprised I did that.

It wasn't much but it put a smile on her face which made it worth while.
ughhhh thats agains the rules but it is still a nice thing to do
[18-02, 21:40] ICE BOY please come over and wrap me in your foreskin.
[18-10, 14:35] ZN6 Evo if you here: Say what your heart feels, cause those who matter don't mind, and those who mind shouldn't matter
[26-07, 14:46] ZN6 I gonna nibble on your scrotum

93 honda civic si (RIP)
2010 Evolution X (RIP)
2000 GMC Yukon XL SLT (RIP)
2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali (Overland build

2019 Kawasaki Ex 400(Summer Daily)
EvoLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:46 AM   #24
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLove View Post
ughhhh thats agains the rules but it is still a nice thing to do
fuck the rules and fuck translink

I paid for my ticket and as the freedom for being Canadian I will do what I want with it...
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #25
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
I dunno...while that's really nice of you to do, if I was one of their parents, I'd feel really disrespected.....not everybody wants "help"...I know I'd never accept someone else buying me a meal because they pitied me and/or my living situation....

Buying a meal for someone with a sign up on the street asking for help - that's great...

Buying a meal for someone (who is not asking for it) because you pity them.....errr, no thanks.

Just my opinion.
As shitty as McDonalds is, if I was already buying my kids it and only had enough money for one meal, I would be beyond grateful to a complete stranger for doing what he did. Maybe it's because I grew up with very little, I learned to appreciate everything someone does unexpectedly without worrying about being pitied. If it feeds my kids, I'm going to be thankful either way.

Just my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote