REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Question about Ski Goggles - ie. Are mirror lenses bad for overcast days?

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide between two sets of goggles. I've looked online and I can't really find an answer.

One has a heather/bronze tint with silver mirror
On Sale Spy Targa II Goggles Black Hip Heather/Bronze w/ Silver Mirror up to 45% off

The other has a bronze lens
On Sale Spy Targa II Goggles Space Out/Bronze Lens up to 40% off

Which one would be better for over cast days or night boarding? Or would it matter much. I would prefer to get the first goggle (as it's more plain), but the silver mirror thing is kind of throwing me off.

Thanks.
Advertisement
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Much like bicycling glasses, mirrored lenses are preferred for sunny conditions. For overcast days or night boarding, you will want something that is lighter in colour. As per the Spy Optic FAQ section on their website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyOptic.com
Spy has a wide range of lenses for every condition imaginable. In general, the best all around sunglass lenses are gray or bronze. Gray has the truest color while bronze enhances colors and offers outstanding definition and depth perception. In low light conditions (overcast, snowing), lens colors such as clear, persimmon (orange), yellow and rose are the best. We also offer mirrored lenses that are best for the brightest conditions. - Source: http://www.spyoptic.com/faq
Also, see the image as posted on SpyOptic.com in reference to snowboarding goggles:

Spoiler!

Hope that helps!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Much like bicycling glasses, mirrored lenses are preferred for sunny conditions. For overcast days or night boarding, you will want something that is lighter in colour. As per the Spy Optic FAQ section on their website:

Hope that helps!
That helps immensely!!! I tried navigating their website, but I couldn't come up with anything. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Their website is a little difficult to navigate. I won't lie.

But for their price point, their products and customer support is amazing. Don't be afraid to e-mail them. Somebody from their headquarters in California will reply, and it's usually somebody who is heavily involved with the product itself, not just some minimum wage customer service rep.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Their website is a little difficult to navigate. I won't lie.

But for their price point, their products and customer support is amazing. Don't be afraid to e-mail them. Somebody from their headquarters in California will reply, and it's usually somebody who is heavily involved with the product itself, not just some minimum wage customer service rep.
Solid, thanks.
I just emailed them, but I doubt i'll get a response in time since I need to order by tmrw to get the deal. I'm probably just going to go with the bronze with no mirror tint.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
but mirrored lenses look awesome~

TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Bronze is always a safe bet. Unless you're hitting the slopes when it's extremely sunny, you'll be glad you didn't get a tint because it DOES make a big difference in how much light is transmitted through the lens. The best part is at least you can purchase replacement lenses from Spy Optic for $25-$30. They're durable enough to slip into a zippered pocket and easy enough to swap if/when you need to.

For reference, my Spy Optic Screw sunglasses I use for cycling are a Red Spectra mirrored lens. They're awesome when it's super sunny out (re: summer only) but in the evening when the sun is setting or when it's cloudy, it kinda sucks where dark things only get darker, making it dangerous for myself and I wish I either had a yellow, red, or clear lens.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #8

Haha yeah, I wouldn't mind a pair of mirrored lenses. I'll definitely just pick up a pair/lens if I end up going a lot.

I think for now the bronze will work great. Especially since i'll be hitting the twilight hours more this winter break.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
RS Veteran

You're going to really like their Scoop Ventilation system on the lens. They live up to their claim as long as you're moving. Once you're standing still, they will fog up (all brands do) but they clear up instantly once you get going again!

Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Some "mirrored" lenses will actually help improve contrast on cloudy days
Such as Oakley's hi-intensity yellow, or Hi-intensity persimmon
While other "mirrored" lenses are for brighter days..like emerald iridium, or fire iridium

Then there are cheap goggles that paints on a mirror coating just for looks. Those does nothing but reduce opitical clarity.
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

for overcast days you want something with a persimmons lens. The orange lens. That helps to brighten up everything
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
i think i will be buying these too now, thanks op
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #13

I ended up going with the bronze...
Anyway, used them twice and they're awesome. they don't fog which is so crucial.
I guess their air flow system is legit.

Thanks for all the responses
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
RS Veteran

^
Glad you liked them! I just bought a few pairs of their lenses for my Spy Optic Screw sunglasses and they rock!
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #15

Quote:
^
Glad you liked them! I just bought a few pairs of their lenses for my Spy Optic Screw sunglasses and they rock!
Where did you buy your lenses from? I'm thinking of buying a yellow lens or clear lens.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #16
RS Veteran

I simply ordered them from Spy's website direct and had them shipped to my place in Los Angeles.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #17

Oh icic. Cool thanks.