REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

South Fraser Perimeter Road - First Impressions

The first phase of the $1.26 billion controversial South Fraser Perimeter Road — renamed Highway 17 — opens this morning, offering truckers and other drivers a “free-flowing” four-lane highway south of the Fraser River.

Transportation officials on Friday showed off the new 10-kilometre eastern section, between Highway 1 at 176th Street to 136th Street in Surrey, touting it as a free alternative for those who don’t want to pay tolls on the new Port Mann Bridge. The bridge officially opened today, with eight lanes now accessible. The remaining two lanes will be opened after the old bridge is demolished.

Read more: First 10 kilometres of new Highway 17 opens Dec. 1

I personally liked the road and feel that its been long over due, I am confused as to why they only made it 2 lanes each way....2 lane highways have become a thing of the past in Metro-Vancouver due to its rapid growth...and sooner or later they will have to widen it anyway..why not just do it now:S. None the Less, Although I took the drive during the rain on Sat night, its a nice route that runs parallel to the river and alongside the docks. One thing that did disturb me...and I REALLY HOPE this is just because it is still under construction...is that there is no exit for the Port Mann Bridge on it...even though it passes directly underneath it...If a driver wishes to head onto HWY Westbound they must take the 176th interchange and go back on themselves. I thought rather than having to drive towards Guildford and taking hwy 1 westbound, I would be able to hop on SFPR and take the bridge from there...but like I said this may only be because it has not been fully completed yet. Your thoughts?
Advertisement
Prelude_driva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
doubt they would ever put that exit due to where all the houses are there, only way is up through the old dump
Old 12-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Just more traffic to muck up the already shitty puttalo bridge, more hell since truckers just drive in the middle of lanes.
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

i say ban the trucks from bridges from 6am to 9am....that will ease congestion...these trucks in patullo start from the left lane then move right and sometimes take up both lanes...
Old 12-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,687 Times in 1,624 Posts
The really wide trucks that drive on both lanes are somewhat acceptable, since I'd rather drive behind one then beside one to have it fuck me because the driver is inexperienced.

What I CANNOT stand on the Patullo bridge are fucktards who are too scared to pass any remotely large vehicle in the next lane, yet still choose to drive directly in its blind spot, just fucking traffic flow and speed on the bridge.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
my understanding is this new highway is to get mainly truck traffic from the ferry and deltaport areas EAST out of town and north via the golden ears and get traffic off local municipal roads. it is not ment to be a bypass to the #1 to the patullo and those who are complaining about that need to grasp the idea that the patullo is not a 'free alternative' to the port mann. the port mann is the east west bridge. and in the next 10 years you're going to have to pay to cross the new putello bridge anyway.

and there is no direct offramp to go west on the #1 because traffic isnt ment to go west there.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Gateway Freeways | Wilderness Committee

fucking hippies

i appload the SFPR, get big, dangerous trucks off roads, ease flow for 'regular' road users, make it easier for big trucks by giving them their own route - win-win.

the only losers here are hippies... and tax payers, but when have tax payers ever not been the loser?!
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
now, where's the 'real' highway 99 - time to flatten oak street and make that into an actual motorway

long live the car! (i think i'm in the minority of people who actually love cars on this site and think they have a place in my daily life, and in my daily journeys)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
SFPR was never meant to have ANY connection to the Port Mann.

If you look at the full project, you can see the route goes from Oak St. (72nd St./Hwy99) and follows the river connecting it to Alex Fraser but going PAST Patullo straight to Hwy1 @ 176 St.

IIRC the entire project is outlined to get truck traffic out of the way and get them faster to their destinations. Sure making it only 2 lanes each way seems abit in the past, but for truckers that's all they need.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
B.C.?s newest highway, the South Fraser Perimeter Road, officially opens | Globalnews.ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I've been using this road for a while, getting on at 176 and taking it to the Bridge. It's fun on the motorcycle, only thing that sucks is being next to the water there are lots of bugs. When I was using it in the summer most of the time I'd see maybe one or two other vehicles, it's like a huge 4 lane empty road.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I use it also and its a definite money maker for speed traps because nobody knows it exists and pretty straight.
Posted via RS Mobile
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
lol, I "discovered" this route back in the summer when I was trying to find an alternate route to avoid paying the toll on Port Mann.

I don't think the route was fully shown on Google Maps yet.
But it was such a nice long stretch of highway.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #14
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
i say ban the trucks from bridges from 6am to 9am....that will ease congestion...these trucks in patullo start from the left lane then move right and sometimes take up both lanes...
i know its an old post but...

I like the idea of regulating truck traffic as i understand they do that in Paris (trucks are only allowed at night) and the UK iirc has something similar and are now debating whether to increase restrictions on truck traffic

I wouldn't mind seeing large truck traffic regulated to evenings-early am and delivery vans for the day if companies can't cope with the restrictions
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:45 AM   #15
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
i know its an old post but...

I like the idea of regulating truck traffic as i understand they do that in Paris (trucks are only allowed at night) and the UK iirc has something similar and are now debating whether to increase restrictions on truck traffic

I wouldn't mind seeing large truck traffic regulated to evenings-early am and delivery vans for the day if companies can't cope with the restrictions
I will not speak to the UK restrictions, but..

Paris is not a port city. Vancouver is a port city. The truck traffic this fact creates completely changes the scenarios. It is not a viable option to restrict truck traffic to late pm-early am in Vancouver. The infrastructure in Vancouver is insufficient and the only solution is expansion and upgrades. It is an unavoidable necessity.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2013, 02:24 AM   #16
I am on the internets

first thing that came into my mind
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Highway_17_BG.jpg (76.7 KB, 0 views)
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:49 AM   #17
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
I thought the South Fraser Perimeter was built for truck traffic - to reduce/divert truck traffic from municipal roads.

To limit them when the road was designed for them in the first place would be......... nuff said.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:00 AM   #18
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I thought the South Fraser Perimeter was built for truck traffic - to reduce/divert truck traffic from municipal roads.

To limit them when the road was designed for them in the first place would be......... nuff said.
Also designed to get them to and from Tsawassen ferry terminal more efficiently, which is why it is part of Highway 17, also known as the Patricia Bay highway on Vancouver Island, connecting Victoria to the Swartz Bay ferry terminal.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #19
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:

I think the limited-hours suggestion was aimed toward bridges, particularly the Patullo, where one truck splitting lanes at 20km/h all the way across can seriously fuck up rush hour...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #20
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,031 Times in 2,071 Posts
Wonder how much time this would have saved me when I picked up a friend from the Tsawwassen ferry terminal on our way to a stag out in Mission.. Looking forward to checking this out.

Quote:
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #21
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,221 Times in 1,214 Posts
It's nice when I have to get out to Langley, takes me like 15 mins from delta now to 200th ave
Posted via RS Mobile
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #22
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
I got so confused when I used it the first time, but it is quite efficient.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #23
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I will not speak to the UK restrictions, but..

Paris is not a port city. Vancouver is a port city. The truck traffic this fact creates completely changes the scenarios. It is not a viable option to restrict truck traffic to late pm-early am in Vancouver. The infrastructure in Vancouver is insufficient and the only solution is expansion and upgrades. It is an unavoidable necessity.
With London, under their current scheme, traffic is restricted during nights/weekends as they want to fight noise pollution but it's currently being argued that they should flip it to the day due to an increased number of cyclists dying because truckers can't see them.

I'm all for expansion and upgrades I think the government is really ignoring the scope of the problem and are only offering minimal solutions however I still believe restrictions coupled with better scheduling, what have you, can allow our traffic to be more efficient; increased rail/barge traffic to ship containers into inland cities maybe? might spread the trucks out more coupled with time restrictions

something greater should be done anyway i'm all for more roads/bridges but instead of tolls to pay for them the government should issue bonds
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #24
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
With London, under their current scheme, traffic is restricted during nights/weekends as they want to fight noise pollution but it's currently being argued that they should flip it to the day due to an increased number of cyclists dying because truckers can't see them.

I'm all for expansion and upgrades I think the government is really ignoring the scope of the problem and are only offering minimal solutions however I still believe restrictions coupled with better scheduling, what have you, can allow our traffic to be more efficient; increased rail/barge traffic to ship containers into inland cities maybe? might spread the trucks out more coupled with time restrictions

something greater should be done anyway i'm all for more roads/bridges but instead of tolls to pay for them the government should issue bonds
A service sending containers by rail, let's say, from Roberts Bank to Maple Ridge, would quadruple the cost of transporting containers in the Lower Mainland. Obviously, not an option.

A service sending containers by rail, let's say, from Roberts Bank to Edmonton, would double the cost of transporting containers and considerably detriment warehouses in the Lower Mainland. Again, not an option.

In fact, a service sending a container by rail is not cost-effective compared to a warehouse cross-docking and arranging truck transport unless the destination is further east than Winnipeg.

Annacis Island, Port Kells, and Bridgeview - stating only a select group of the Lower Mainland's industrial areas - are dependent on 24/7 truck transport to operate the aforementioned cross-docking and arranging of truck truck transport. And, such areas support our economy through creating relatively well-paying entry level jobs.

To restrict truck traffic past the current levels - such as truck routes - is not an option. If Vancouver's economy is ever like London or Paris' economies, it might open up as an option.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #25
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Looks like a great place for late night drags... (0-to-speedlimit of course)

and by drags I mean dressing up in women's clothing and not racing because that would be highly illegal and unsafe
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by: