REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #26
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
They have supermarkets like we do in Vancouver (i.e. Safeway, Save-On Foods etc.) Some towns even have a Walmart and chain restaurants like Boston Pizza etc.

If you're willing to give it a shot, go for it. You're young and you have nothing to lose.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #27
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBettah View Post
Wrong.

A sizeable contingent on all energy projects in the region come from those towns.

Care to share why you talk like you know about this area? Why are you quoting your experiences from Salmon Arm? That city is further south longitude wise than Calgary and there isn't any similar industry.
Just sharing my experience and observations from spending several months in that area. You're free to disagree with it and counter with your own. No skin off of my back.

The reason why I talked about Salmon Arm was to use it as an example of interior towns vs the lower mainland. And I recall explicitly stating in that example that it wasn't a direct parallel to places like Dawson Creek and FSJ.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #28
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
If you're willing to give it a shot, go for it. You're young and you have nothing to lose.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #29
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I've had some experiences working in Northern BC.

- I hate to stereotype but after witnessing so many incidents, watch out for the natives. High crime rate in Northern BC.
- Northern BC is booming, tons of mines/oil/natural gas/forestry/construction projects going on.
- Can get as cold as -40C but its not bad because the air is dry there. Brings lots of moisturizers though.
- The closest city that has similar amenities to Vancouver is Prince George, 4hours away from Fort St. Johns. Costco, major hospital, famous players etc
- If you're a minority, there is 100% going to be some racist jokes so if you cant get along and get offended easily dont bother going.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #30
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
those trucks all seem fun and good choices for the locale but how's the reliability/maintenance for those that aren't technically inclined?

I'm most definitely a city boy but honestly I would love to try embracing these outdoor activities

I just need to know if people are friendly enough that they are willing to assimilate city folks nice enough to show them the ways of outdoor activities. Last thing I need is hookers and blow.
Trucks are generally a little more reliable than cars, and the maintenance is less difficult, because everything isn't as tightly packed together. Not being experienced driving in those weather conditions, I would very strongly encourage you opt for a 4wd with good studded winters.

If you're a laid back guy, I'm sure you'll meet people willing to bring you into their circle. People rarely hunt, fish, camp alone, because its much safer in a group. I'm sure they'd be happy to let you join them, just show some appreciation by bring along a couple cases of beer to share. Fishing is more a drinking sport than anything else, quads and sleds aren't too difficult to learn after a couple times out, hunting you'd need to get a PAL and a bit of experienc shooting. There's a big rodeo every year in Dawson, iirc. People camp year round at every opportunity.

I wouldn't be intimated social aspects, because as long as you're into the outdoors small towns are pretty accepting. It's not like Vancouver, where people can afford the luxury of being unfriendly.
Posted via RS Mobile
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #31
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post

100% agree.

Sled > Sport Bike. IMO.
I had limited experiance riding a sport bike [25 minutes on an older R6] but i've ridden dirt bikes my whole life, there is nothing on this planet like a good sled
Old 12-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #32
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

those trucks all seem fun and good choices for the locale but how's the reliability/maintenance for those that aren't technically inclined?
One thing you have to remember is that up there, especially someplace like Chetwynd, services are pretty sparse. It's not like there's an abundance of mechanics or parts shops (I think they might have a napa) You'll want to have a vehicle which is common up there. The Mechanics up there probably know domestic trucks inside and out, Miatas, not so much.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #33
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I agree with a lot of what Mindbomber has said; he knows what he's talking about. I relocated for work in my early 20s to the Kootenays for 5 years. Although not the far north, small town Kootenays living I think would have similarities so I'll share my experiences.

I bought a 4Runner, perfect vehicle for the majority of what you'll want to do up north. Do not cheap out on all seasons, you need proper winter tires and for gods sake, use engine compression to slow down, not your brakes. Drive in the middle of snow covered roads when you're checking out FSRs, etc, or driving to your buddies farm who lives 20 mins out of town - it's impossible to tell some times where the ditch is, and the graters some times clear over edge of the road.

Although I came back to Vancouver in my later 20s, looking back at the experience, I really enjoyed my time there. Here are some of my experiences that come to mind:
- canoeing or belly boating in creeks / rivers / lakes and fly fishing. Lots of fly fishing, lots of camping, lots of laying out in nature in the summer w/ no sounds other than nature. This is actually amazingly relaxing and something I relish to this day.
- I now have my RPAL, but had my FAC at the time so I did a fair amount of target shooting. Lots of fun, but can be an expensive hobby especially if you get higher cal firearms.
- I got to know a ton of people by playing in the softball league in town which was a blast. The games almost always spilled over in to the local pub, and I found I quickly integrated in with people this way. This also got me recruited to a men's rec hockey team in short order.
- Drinking beer. Lots of beer.
- Each little town has a summer party to celebrate the community. I think Mindbomber mentioned a rodeo? That's probably Dawson's community event. The neat thing is, all the communities try not to compete with each other, so the next weekend, there's probably a cool event at the next town over. These can be alot of fun to check out.
- People don't trust you at first, cuz you're "FROM THE CITY".. but once you make friends in town and prove yourself trustworthy, word spreads fast.
- Did I say word spreads fast in a small town? IT DOES. More on this later.

Too many years ago to relate to living expenses, but I think you'll find you spend less money. Bottom line is there's less frivolous stuff to spend your money on. Starbucks latte? Out of the question. Someone said earlier you won't be going to the gym in Yaletown with your boss after work.. that's priceless and bang on. Sidewalks roll up at 5pm, and people go hang out with their families and friends. Did I mention drink beer?

Looking back, I'd say the hardest thing for me was finding a GF. Not that many single girls around the small towns; they're claimed early, or typically bust outta town and head to the big cities as soon as they're able to. The single ones that are left were the ones that were too dumb to leave. Haha, I'm sorry I'm generalizing on this statement, but those were my feelings at the time and consequently I was single for the first 2 years. I basically kidnapped a hottie who moved back from Vancouver and forced her to live with me for 3 years lol.

Coming back to 'word spreads fast'. You are NOT ANONYMOUS in a small town like you are in the big city. If you are an asshat to people, you will see them at the grocery store.. at the gas station.. at the hair salon, etc. This goes too for the big ass logger who wants to break your face cuz you made out with his GF one weekend while he was out of town for example. Personally, I found this hard to adjust to. If you get pretty drunk in the bar one night, expect the next day at work that people will know. Your clients / patients, etc, will know.

Anyway, good luck... I've rambled on long enough.
EuterVanWasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #34
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 View Post
You will meet so many fucking rednecks you won't even believe it.
QFT!

Though I do find the rednecks quite charming..., you will also meet a lot of dirty small-town girls with daddy issues
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #35
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Eutter and MB have pretty much covered it all for you. I grew up in a rural part of Surrey until I was 10, when we moved to a cabin on a lake outside of 100 Mile House: no power, no phone, all wood heat, and carrying water up from the lake by hand is quite the culture shock for a kid, but in the long run, I think I'm the better for growing up that way. I don't dislike living in the city (or the burbs) but I'd love to live up there again - visits are always too short and too far between.

There've been a couple posts here that "it's a very different life" as if that's supposed to scare you off the move, but really... a lot of people PREFER that life, and you might find out you like it too - dukes has a good point, you're young and whether you fall in love with the fresh air or not, it'll be a great experience.

Aside from the fresh air, the one difference *I've* really noticed is the more relaxed pace of life up there. One summer when we were up with a bunch of friends and their kids, I went to the little store in town for supplies and the kids wanted chocolate milk... well, the store was still waiting for the delivery truck, so I went on up the road to the next store, where the truck was to make its previous stop... he still hadn't been there, so I continued up the road to his NEXT previous stop... only to find he'd already been there, but only partially unloaded, had gone on to the stores I'd already be to, and would be back "in an hour or so" with the dairy... so at that point, I decided to just kick back and wait. It ended up being nearly two hours before I got the chocolate milk... and I realized that between browsing magazines and touristy stuff, chatting with the staff and customers, and just watching the clouds drift by, the time had flown past. Then I realized that if the same thing had happened to me in the city (something forcing me to wait around like that), I'd have been losing my mind within 20 minutes. The whole energy, the vibe, of life in general is SO much more laid back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #36

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
I'd like to see the look on local's faces when you putt around town or pull up to a job site in a bright red Miata.

Last edited by vafanculo; 12-06-2012 at 09:20 PM.
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #37

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Subaru.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #38
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

grocery proces in FSJ is not so inflated when i went there.
they still have PRICEMART which shares same price as GVR.
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #39
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,053 Times in 231 Posts
Most likely heading up north this summer for forestry co-op so all this advice sure is helpful.
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #40
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,615 Times in 574 Posts
best advice in this thread.

buy a 4x4

and some guns....
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #41

My cars learning to drive up there were a '68 Galaxie, an '80 GLC, Dad's '81 Dodge pickup, and a couple of different Dodge vans Dad went through... oh, and sometimes Grandpa's '80-something Aspen. Never had a 4WD when we lived there, and somehow got by (actually, for a while we did have my uncle's CJ-5, but it had been built up for mud racing and was absolute shyte in the snow).

Most important thing is PROPER TIRES... and don't drive like a fucktard.
Quote:
Old 12-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #42

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanLee View Post
Most likely heading up north this summer for forestry co-op so all this advice sure is helpful.
red miata at job Site RS meat?
Posted via RS Mobile
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #43
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Just sharing my experience and observations from spending several months in that area. You're free to disagree with it and counter with your own. No skin off of my back.

The reason why I talked about Salmon Arm was to use it as an example of interior towns vs the lower mainland. And I recall explicitly stating in that example that it wasn't a direct parallel to places like Dawson Creek and FSJ.
Salmon arm is full of rich albertans from calgary and edmonton with boats and cabins lol.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #44
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
Salmon arm is full of rich albertans from calgary and edmonton with boats and cabins lol.
Only in the summer
Winter is pretty quiet/boring in Salmon Arm

I can't comment since I've never lived/worked up north
But I did just recently move to the interior
While the lifestyle is relaxing
Some part of it I cannot get used to (would be even worse up north)
Like the lack of good chinese/ethnic food
Lack of late night resturants
Lack of things to do at night besides bars
Lack of asian people

But lots of positives too
Very relaxing outdoor oriented lifestyle
No traffic jams
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Lack of asian people
You say that like it's a bad thing...

Quote:
Old 12-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #46
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
Inveremere is more of their hot spot, population quadruples there in the summer, salmon arm is too far from Calgary, 8+ on a good day
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: