REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #76
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
It's a variation of the original films. Spock dies in The Wrath of Khan and then comes back to life in The Search For Spock. But instead of spreading it out over the next film, they simply shortened it.
Yeah dude...I got the connection

But in STII, spock died...and you cared. They didn't magically bring him back the next scene. And you had one of the saddest character funerals in a movie. And STIII sucked because they took away from the emotional connection of STII.

I'm a huge star trek fan. And I've been disappointed both outings on these.

I am sure that for people that never liked the original ST, that these ones probably work.
Spoiler!

I know that casting always has a component of name recognition in combination with ability to play the part, but in some of these movies lately, I think we've completely forgot to ask if these people can play the role.

I'm actually angry that the character was whitewashed.
Advertisement
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #77
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I'm actually angry that the character was whitewashed.
And I'm perturbed that people insist on injecting this racism where none was required or intended.

Go look up some of Abrams' comments on why Cumberbatch was chosen - none of them (at least none I've read) have anything to do with wanting to make Kahn "more white", and everything to do with his acting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #78
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Well, if we picked him for the acting, we failed there too.

I'm not saying its a racist decision. I'm just saying he was a horribly bad casting for the role.

He used to be brown. Now he's not.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #79
I am grateful grapefruit

If Abrams wanted to re-do the original movies like it was - he would've cast a horrible actor like Shatner as Kirk. But he didn't - he wanted to do something original - but keep a little taste of the old series/movies. He didn't cast a brown guy as Khan, because he wanted Cumberbatch - it has nothing to do with race.

Honestly, I quite enjoyed the movie - even though I was a huge fan of the original movies.