REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Prank call leads to suicide (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677635-prank-call-leads-suicide.html)

dinosaur 12-07-2012 09:33 AM

Prank call leads to suicide

I heard about joke 2 Aussie DJs did a couple days ago. It was kind of comical...a little shocking that they released some info about Kate, but nothing to major and not the nurses fault.

Aussie DJs apologize for royal prank call | The Chronicle Herald

The nurse was just found dead from an apparent suicide. I guess the pressure got too much for her....its pretty fucking sad.

Hospital nurse found dead after taking prank call on Catherine - CNN.com

The Aussie DJs are not returning until further notice.

RIP :(

duy- 12-07-2012 09:42 AM

it's definitely sad, I remember just hearing about the prank the other day and found it quite funny but the culture over from one country to another may be very different. the stress and humiliation might have been just too much for her, it's truly sad to have it turn out like this. it definitely impacts everyone in such a negative way, the hospital, the royal family, the nurses friends and family, the djs, basically everyone. she sounded like a very lovely person, my condolences to her family.
Posted via RS Mobile

inv4zn 12-07-2012 09:52 AM

Suicide should never be the only way out of a situation.

RIP

sexyaccord 12-07-2012 10:07 AM

its all fun and games until someone dies.
RIP

Phil@rise 12-07-2012 10:08 AM

I find it shocking that this prank could be the sole reason for her suicide.

drunkrussian 12-07-2012 10:12 AM

is it really teh call that pushed her? seems kinda odd. Or perhaps she was laready suicidal and needed any excuse. Just seems odd to me that this would drive someone tosuicide? or am i missing something?

regardless of the reason though, very sad and rip :-(

c3m 12-07-2012 10:12 AM

^ it doesn't take much for a person to turn him/herself to a corner
in this case if the prank call is the sole reason for the suicide then the social pressure and international questionings could lead to an unimaginable depression. Also add to the self blaming and it is totally possible. Different culture, different standard.

What I have problem with is prank calls in general. I hear it all the time on radio stations nowadays. TheBeat and Virgin do it all the time trying to be funny.

dinosaur 12-07-2012 10:22 AM

It is also hard to judge because we don't know what type of person she was. I am sure all of us can think of that one person we work with who takes their job very seriously, is pretty quiet, and when/if they do something wrong they are very upset by it.

There is someone I deal with for work who is always terrified he is going to lose his job. He is very straight-laced, does everything perfectly, and does not do well when issues come up last minute. I often wonder is something major happened with his job how he would cope.

Also, this prank was world wide. Everyone (media-wise) knew he name and personal information and although I don't think anyone 'blamed' her, she probably blamed herself. No, suicide is never the answer, but I imagine she felt very overwhelmed with all the exposure. It is a very odd feeling when people write things about you (whether is be the truth or lies) in a public arena and you have no control over it.

european 12-07-2012 10:26 AM

daaaaamn

GLOW 12-07-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

"2Day FM sincerely apologises for any inconvenience caused by the enquiry to Kate's hospital, the radio segment was done with light-hearted intentions, we wish Kate and her family all the best and we're glad to hear she's doing well," it said.

An earlier tweet by 2Day FM had described it as a "hilarious prank."
i figure some things are off limits - essential services like police stations, fire halls, & hospitals.

Spoon 12-07-2012 10:31 AM

This whole time, I was hoping the suicide was a hoax fabricated by the Royal Family to troll them back. :considered:

duy- 12-07-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8101104)
This whole time, I was hoping the suicide was a hoax fabricated by the Royal Family to troll them back. :considered:

that's a very nice thought, I hope somehow that you're right
Posted via RS Mobile

Hondaracer 12-07-2012 10:55 AM

More stupid than sad
Posted via RS Mobile

Meowjin 12-07-2012 11:50 AM

Meowjin 12-07-2012 11:57 AM

She did a huge security risk. She was obviously not very experienced and should know that she should not disclose any information about the patients over the phone.

bcrdukes 12-07-2012 12:15 PM

Illuminati conspiracy

/thread

bluejays 12-07-2012 12:37 PM

The hosts received so much hate on twitter that they deleted their page

Manic! 12-07-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meowjin (Post 8101163)
She did a huge security risk. She was obviously not very experienced and should know that she should not disclose any information about the patients over the phone.

She's a nurse not a security expert. People call hospitals all the time to find out how a family member is doing.

xlilxjohnny 12-07-2012 12:50 PM

Posted via RS Mobile

swfk 12-07-2012 12:56 PM

Quite saddening to listen to the report, somewhere inside me just wishes that the nurse is trolling back the DJs and will reveal herself.

InvisibleSoul 12-07-2012 02:35 PM

This is sad, but I don't really blame those two DJs who made the prank call.

The prank call in itself is not malicious in any way.

Even if this was the reason that the nurse decided to commit suicide, is it really their fault?

StylinRed 12-07-2012 02:48 PM

you've got to be fucking kidding me she committed suicide?!

or did the queen have her killed, i wouldn't be surprised ;)

Gumby 12-07-2012 03:07 PM

Worst possible way this could have ended...

But did you guys actually hear audio of the phone call? The DJs' British accents were HORRIBLE!

subordinate 12-07-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 8101283)
This is sad, but I don't really blame those two DJs who made the prank call.

The prank call in itself is not malicious in any way.

Even if this was the reason that the nurse decided to commit suicide, is it really their fault?

You could make the same case about cyber bullying. Just because I tell a secret about the person and they kill themselves, is it my fault?

The DJ's went beyond a joke. Royal family...calling the hospital - (who really knew the severity of her health)......The DJ's should have at least had some foresight into the possible consequences of their actions.

JesseBlue 12-07-2012 03:39 PM

Yah sure... They're sorry now that this happened...
Posted via RS Mobile