REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   BCIT automotive technician, which route? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677651-bcit-automotive-technician-route.html)

hkRicer 12-07-2012 05:32 PM

BCIT automotive technician, which route?

I'm going back to school, I decided to go to bcit, but I am not sure which route is the "best", easiest to find job etc. Originally I thought the co-op is good but then my friend told me co-op is not good, I'm lost.

http://www.bcit.ca/files/transportat...eermap_550.jpg

88SupraT 12-07-2012 06:09 PM

You might have better luck posting in the campus forum, there is a bcit thread in there.

Though I can at least say this from what I have seen it is really hard to get in with most shops now right out of high school if you have no prior automotive training. I personally went route 2 through the foundation program and it is a great program in my view. It gives you a great base to work with and shops will be more inclined to hire someone with bcit training if you go for a apprenticeship.

dn53 12-07-2012 06:49 PM

all i can say is don't go route one. there's so much to learn and it will be near impossible to find a job with no experience as stated above. did my first year and i do have a job but still waiting/looking to be signed up officially as an apprentice

AW607 12-07-2012 07:23 PM

Automotive Technician Foundation program is what I think is the best possible route. You learn almost everything you need, get some good experience as well as making it a bit easier to find a job.. and if I'm not mistaken, you get registered with the ITA during your progress through the program

mb_ 12-07-2012 08:52 PM

I'm taking Automotive Technician Foundation at the moment and I've been told this is the most common and safest route. That would be Route 2 on the chart.

tee-tea 12-07-2012 09:05 PM

I did Automotive Technician Apprentice and I'm going to level 2 in jan but I did it at kwantlen

vantrip 12-07-2012 09:13 PM

As far as trades go bcit is well respected so you can't go wrong their. Not sure about the instructors but I walked past the auto garage and there always working on something cool and sometimes its on students car's as well. Do foundation and start saving for tools, there gonna be the biggest hurdle aside from landing a apprenticeship.

some_punk 12-07-2012 10:46 PM

it depends on how much knowledge you have on cars before hand. If you want to be a tech route 1 going through the 4 years will get your red seal faster. In route 1 you will be forced to work as a tech pretty much.

I went with route 3 in AST. the problem with co-op in AST is that it doesnt matter what you do in the automotive industry. I was lucky enough to get a job as an apprentice at a suzuki dealer. the co-op lady isnt very helpful in finding you a job. I had a classmates that got jobs as service advisors. some were just lot guys. one of my classmate ended up at a canadian tire being a the parts guy. If you want to be a tech, make sure you get a job that will give you an apprenticeship, and dont waste your time at a tire shop unless they sign you up as an apprentice.

see.lai 12-08-2012 10:45 AM

If anything,
you can come to VCC and do the Auto service tech program. The instructors are really chill, so I'd suggest you to learn on your own, if you do apply here.

I'm currently in my first year at VCC and I will have to find a job when June comes. I guess that's considered route 2 on your chart for BCIT. The good thing is, there wasn't really a waitlist at VCC though.

vvd 12-09-2012 08:23 AM

I finished foundations at VCC (equivalent of route 2). If you haven't really worked in a shop before I'd recommend going that route. The only down side may be that most of my classmates and the graduates from the other intakes have started off/are working as lot boys.
Posted via RS Mobile

CorneringArtist 12-09-2012 08:35 AM

I ran route 2 at BCIT to get some additional wrenching experience under my belt despite being employed as a lot boy at a dealership prior to entering the Foundation program. I had the option of getting apprenticed and going to Level 1, but while I did have some skills, I felt they weren't complete enough to warrant moving into the shop at that point in time.

Alatar 12-09-2012 11:52 AM

At the very least, do route 2. If your goal is to get into a shop, route 3 is more of a waste since you don't intend to get a B.Sc.

Route 1, I will tell you now, I'm not likely to hire you. Route 2 is essentially the bare minimum.

604CRX 12-13-2012 07:43 PM

I did BCITs HVAC version of route 3 and all I can say is they kept trying (even still, a year after getting our diplomas) to get every students placed in work after school. It's helps to have their resources and its nice to know they will help me find work until my apprenticeship is over.