REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Psy Allegedly Rapped About anti-American intentions before 'Gangnam Style' went viral (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677654-psy-allegedly-rapped-about-anti-american-intentions-before-gangnam-style-went-viral.html)

AW607 12-07-2012 07:21 PM

Psy allegedly rapped about anti-American intentions before 'Gangnam Style' went viral

Quote:

Originally Posted by International Business Times

Almost a decade before Psy became famous in the U.S. and all over the world for “Gangnam Style,” he allegedly rapped about “slowly and painfully” killing American soldiers and civilians, as reported by MTV News, which said he apologized Friday to anyone his words offended.

http://cdnl.complex.com/mp/620/400/8...012/12/psy.jpg

The worldwide sensation took to the stage in 2002 -- before practically anyone outside Korea had heard of him -- to protest against 32,000 American troops who were stationed on the Korean Peninsula. Psy held a miniature U.S. tank over his head and then smashed it on the ground to prompt a roar of applause from the crowd.

When a South Korean missionary was killed in Iraq two years later, Psy performed alongside other Korean artists at an anti-American protest concert. That’s when he rapped the song “Dear American,” whose lyrics mention killing U.S. soldiers and civilians:

Quote:

“Kill those f---ing Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives.
"Kill those f---ing Yankees who ordered them to torture.
"Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers.
"Kill them all slowly and painfully.”

The song was originally done by N.EX.T, but Psy was said to have helped with the performance of the song at the 2004 concert.

The Korean lyrics and English translation were posted on CNN’s iReport a couple of months ago, and they were recently picked up by Mediaite and Twitchy.

Outrage directed at the Korean pop star has spread throughout the U.S. As a result, BuzzFeed reported, a petition is being posted on the White House’s “We The People” page asking U.S. President Barack Obama to rescind Psy’s invitation to the "Christmas in Washington" concert scheduled for the National Building Museum in Washington Sunday.

All the U.S. dollars he’s been raking in of late may have had something to do with Psy's apology Friday.

The song:
https://soundcloud.com/djhighway/n-e...-dear-american

His apology:

Psy Apologizes for "Inflammatory" "Dear American" Lyrics | Complex

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psy

"As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world. The song I featured on in question from eight years ago -- was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time. While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one's self, I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words.

I have been honored to perform in front of American soldiers in recent months -- including an appearance on the Jay Leno show specifically for them -- and I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology. While it’s important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

Psy Allegedly Rapped About Killing 'Yankees' In 'Dear American' Before 'Gangnam Style' Went Viral [AUDIO]

:suspicious:

Interesting, but for them to dig up something from his past which happened eight years ago is rather unnecessary..

SkinnyPupp 12-07-2012 07:28 PM

Who

Fucking

Cares.

b0unce. [?] 12-07-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AW607 (Post 8101484)

:suspicious:

Interesting, but digging up something from his past which happened eight years ago is rather unnecessary..

I feel like this thread is rather unnecessary.

inv4zn 12-07-2012 07:31 PM

The story is leaving out what happened 8 years ago.

Two middle school girls were walking home on the side of the road, and they were hit and killed by a US Forces Armored Vehicle. The width of the lane was much smaller than the width of the car, and negligence, etc. was incited.

The US soldiers were tried in a US martial court, and found not guilty.

This obviously sparked outrage in Korea, and that's where the whole Psy concert thing happened.

In a country still at war, the US armed forces are a very sensitive issue. They are necessary for the protection of the South, but there are many incidents where US soldiers commit crimes against Koreans, including rape and murder. It's not often, but it does happen, and they are sometimes not handled very well.

AW607 12-07-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8101491)
Who

Fucking

Cares.

Some Americans do? :badpokerface:

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] (Post 8101495)
That's exactly how I feel about this thread.

fixed it ;)

Fappin 12-07-2012 07:35 PM

This is nothing new in Korea. Haters always dig up old shit from years before someone became popular to screw them over.

european 12-07-2012 07:36 PM

damn

twitchyzero 12-07-2012 07:36 PM

Is there still american occupation in korea?

CorneringArtist 12-07-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fappin (Post 8101504)
This is nothing new in Korea. Haters always dig up old shit from years before someone became popular to screw them over.

Like the case with Tablo from Epik High regarding his credentials from Stanford University that nearly ended his career? Not surprised that butthurt netizens would do that in either case.

Akinari 12-07-2012 08:25 PM

Nothing new, happens in Japan much more often.

vantrip 12-07-2012 09:14 PM

Well in his defense not many people outside of America are particularly fond of the United States.

Graeme S 12-07-2012 09:28 PM

A quick warning, I'm going to spoiler two separate posts from Ask A Korean's blog (Ask a Korean!) because it seems to be relevant for this topic. If you actually give a shit about Psy or the background (or even if you don't and you're curious about wtf this all is) take a quick read.

Gangnam Style just kept coming on -- 273 million views and counting, appearances on network televisions shows, continuous climb up the charts and numerous homages to the original. (The latest one: from the Ohio University marching band.) Questions about Gangnam Style just kept coming also, even though the Korean has been slower with blog updates.

So, FINE. Let's discuss Gangnam Style. First, what exactly is "Gangnam Style"? "Gangnam" literally means "south of the river." But generally, Gangnam refers to a specific area in Seoul located south of the Han River that bisects the city. The area generally encompasses the northern half of (confusing name alert) Gangnam-gu and Seocho-gu, covering neighborhoods like Apgujeong, Sinsa and (confusing name alert, again) Gangnam. It is an area with posh malls, expensive dining and swanky clubs. People who populate those areas are rich, stylish and beautiful, carrying all the appropriate status symbols like imported cars and fancy handbags. They are often celebrities or heirs of Korea's magnates.

The Korean was raised in Apgujeong, so he is the original Gangnam man. And it has been a little bit funny to see his old home described breathlessly as some place that "has no real equivalent in the United States. The closest approximation would be Silicon Valley, Wall Street, Beverly Hills, Manhattan’s Upper East Side, and Miami Beach all rolled into one[,]" according to the Wall Street Journal (quoting this clueless blogger.) Finding the U.S. equivalent of Gangnam is quite easy: it's West Hollywood / Beverly Hills. It has celebrities, style, money, and nice homes and good schools just behind those flashing lights.

(Aside: This "no equivalent in U.S." trope is really overused, and in this instance, the comparison is clearly hyperbolic and incorrect. Gangnam is obviously not a Silicon Valley, since there is no huge concentration of tech companies in Gangnam. Nor is it Wall Street -- that would be Gwanghwamun / City Hall area, north of the river, where all the major banks have their headquarters. Gangnam is not Upper East Side either, since Gangnam is decidedly nouveau riche. The old money of the kind that occupies the Upper East Side of New York is found in Yeonhee-dong of Seoul, north of the river. The Miami Beach comparison is too dumb to address.)

So when PSY speaks of "Gangnam Style," he means to invoke the trendy, stylish image. But of course, what PSY ends up doing in the music video is a parody of such image. He is wearing a ridiculous suit and dances a ridiculous dance. He appears in decidedly un-Gangnam areas: children's playground, on a paddle boat, riverside park, a bus with a disco ball, etc. A couple of times, PSY does encounter what might be fairly close to a Gangnam-type occasion -- a man driving a fancy car (a cameo appearance by the legendary comedian Yoo Jae-seok,) and a beautiful woman (cameo by Hyuna from the girl group 4Minute) flirting. But those moments quickly dissolve into another round of ridiculous dancing.

(Aside: If you immediately understood the relevance of the bus with a disco ball, you have a black belt in Korean culture. The "party" bus is usually for older Korean men and women, who would like to dance away from the public view. To release their urges to shake it, they would charter these buses with total strangers and have a mobile dancing session. By the way, those old Korean folks dance about as well as your parents. It is probably the most un-hip mobile party in the world -- which fits perfectly with Gangnam Style's aesthetics.)

Having said that, what made Gangnam Style so popular?

(More after the jump)

Got a question or a comment for the Korean? Email away at askakorean@gmail.com.

Spoiler!

Imagine you live in Manhattan.
http://www.planetware.com/i/map/US/m...rhoods-map.jpg
Now, imagine that, Central Park does not look like this ...
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0NpPKdTP56...tral-park1.jpg
But instead, looks more like this.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4KS1YByeZZ...11210-us04.jpg
For maximum emotional effect, imagine those soldiers looked really different from you. There are thousands of those soldiers in Central Park alone, and thousands more all over the state of New York. Also, there is no cross-town bus that goes through the Park. If you lived in Upper West Side and wanted to get to Upper East Side, you had to up all the way up to the 110th street and back down.
Spoiler!

That's two things I absolutely love about the news. Sensationalism above relevance, and the fact that any time anyone changes opinions or modifies anything they say, it's a huge controversy. Since when was it that people could only make a single philosophical choice in life and never go back on it?

Yodamaster 12-07-2012 09:38 PM

Some soldiers need to think before they act.

Some Korean artists need to lay off of civilians that have done nothing wrong in their songs.

Both parties have displayed a major lack of responsibility/common sense.

PSY apologized, not worth going into more detail imo.

inv4zn 12-07-2012 10:02 PM

Graeme S, the second article is bang-on. I'm astonished the writer was able to get across a very complex scenario in words.

Korea is also special in that they went through such a rapid development since the 80's, that there are massive generation gaps between each age group. It's a unique cultural society.

US soldier occupation is just as big to North Korean threats to some people.

And yes, the "western" media is just sensationalizing. As always.

Graeme S 12-07-2012 10:04 PM

TK is frakkin' awesome at explaining stuff. He's got an amazing talent as a writer--too bad it's wasted on his lawyerlyness.

If there's ever been anything about Korea that you've wanted to explain but couldn't, chances are he already has. And if he hasn't, fire him an email. I'm sure the rest of us peons could stand to learn from it!

EmperorIS 12-07-2012 11:09 PM

Who cares? who doesn't hate the US

kouki_monster 12-07-2012 11:59 PM

People really like to dig up the past on korean stars.. :suspicious:

I remember when Jay Park had to resign from 2PM because of random anti-korea posts he made online years before he became famous :lawl:

BaoTurbo 12-08-2012 12:28 AM

Came into thread thinking Psy did something bad. Read Graeme's post, and then sided with Psy and understood why he did such a thing. Mind boggling...

Fappin 12-08-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneringArtist (Post 8101531)
Like the case with Tablo from Epik High regarding his credentials from Stanford University that nearly ended his career? Not surprised that butthurt netizens would do that in either case.

That and the whole Jay Park incident got so out of hand he decided to leave 2PM and go back to America.

mittZ 12-08-2012 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fappin (Post 8101504)

He screwed himself over.

SpuGen 12-08-2012 03:32 AM

^^ So much more happened behind the scenes that people can only speculate/gossip.

But it's the whole JYP/Sidus thing all over again. Except Jay was the only one with actual talent and made it bigger than 2PM. Unlike Yoon Kye Sang/G.O.D.

kwy 12-08-2012 10:38 AM

Who gives a flying fuck this stupid fucking song needs to die already

dachinesedude 12-08-2012 12:57 PM

^ lol too bad, cuz you'll hear more bout it when it hits 1billion views, and it prob will in less than a month
Posted via RS Mobile

Harvey Specter 12-08-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8101491)
Who

Fucking

Cares.

+1.

Who really gives a shit about this one hit wonder.

Manic! 12-08-2012 02:11 PM

Bill O'Reilly claims the lyrics are just gibberish and have no meaning.