REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Place for dinner with G/F on xmas eve (24th)? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677811-place-dinner-g-f-xmas-eve-24th.html)

inv4zn 12-11-2012 03:03 PM

Place for dinner with G/F on xmas eve (24th)?

Before I get flamed for short notice, her manager suddenly changed her shift and now she's only available on the 24th dinner...

So.

Any recommendations for a nice place for x-mas eve dinner, that's open?

Would like relatively "fancy" - ~$50 per person, no drinks - and good food. Would like to stay Western, or fusion Asian. Don't really want Mediterranean or anything "exotic."

Please and thanks! Really need to call to reserve soon :okay:

XplicitLuder 12-11-2012 04:39 PM

i took my gf to the boathouse for our 1 year..altho id say its the "fanciest" ive been too, and there is prob even fancier places, i enjoyed it :)

inv4zn 12-11-2012 07:01 PM

Yeah I thought of the Boathouse too.

Which one did you go to? I was thinking of the one in Horseshoe bay purely for the view but according to reviews service is pretty bad lol

unit 12-11-2012 07:11 PM

hmm i just cant bring myself to recommend the boathouse to anyone.
both times i went there it fell way short.
$50pp, i'd say go to vij's if its open

TOS'd 12-11-2012 07:27 PM

Not sure how fast popular restaurants fill up with reservations on Christmas eve, but if everything is booked iirc The Flying Pig in Yaletown does not do dinner reservations. If you are out of options you could try there. I say that because you don't want to have absolutely no place to go on that night, not because the food is sub par and it would be better than any typical chain restaurant.

PJ 12-11-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 8104615)
hmm i just cant bring myself to recommend the boathouse to anyone.
both times i went there it fell way short.
$50pp, i'd say go to vij's if its open

+1

I found Boathouse way overrated.

For the price, I'd rather swing for Fortes. Not sure about their holiday hours though.

Nvasion 12-11-2012 09:16 PM

yaeh boathouse is way overrated. food isnt even good there(except the seafood chowder)

Akinari 12-11-2012 10:22 PM

I would recommend Seasons in the Park for a romantic Christmas Eve dinner :fullofwin: always wanted to go with my ex but never had the chance to as it was always booked on special occasions :okay:

Definitely do give Chambar and Black + Blue a look as well.

vyrospec 12-11-2012 10:37 PM

Dockside Restaurant @ granville island

yray 12-11-2012 10:45 PM

^vyrospec knows romantic :troll:

opentable> search xmas specials > prepare buttrape overcharge

winson604 12-11-2012 11:23 PM

Not sure if they're open or not but you can never go wrong with Pear Tree.

- Awesome food
- Nice intimate setting
- Not in a super busy area like downtown
- Free Street Parking in the whole area
- Good service, at least in all my experiences

bcrdukes 12-11-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winson604 (Post 8104858)
Not sure if they're open or not but you can never go wrong with Pear Tree.

- Awesome food
- Nice intimate setting
- Not in a super busy area like downtown
- Free Street Parking in the whole area
- Good service, at least in all my experiences

Could you post up a review, please? :)

inv4zn 12-12-2012 12:12 AM

Hmm, was looking at the QE Park restaurant and saw that they also own Cardero's...

Any thoughts/experiences? Girlfriend like the whole Coal Harbour setting at night.

I should also mention that we'd like to leave full lol...Pear Tree food looks very good, but it looks like we'll need to order 4 dishes each :okay:

skiiipi 12-12-2012 12:30 AM

Salmon House in west van
Great view
Good food
And not super expensive
Posted via RS Mobile

murd0c 12-12-2012 07:14 AM

Grouse Mountain is perfect for a dinner this time of year. If you book reservations the ride up is free and it would be nice and romantic to walk around in the snow. have a perfect meal over looking Vancouver and maybe even go for a ice skate.

Splmash 12-12-2012 08:50 AM

Have you thought about cooking at home? Instead of a roasted turkey, roast a chicken!

inv4zn 12-12-2012 09:14 AM

Haha cooking at home isn't a possibility, but thanks :)

Grouse Mountain...the view is incredible but I've had a few bad experiences there - not the restaurant, but the mountain itself...:pokerface: - Don't wish to return lol

Sky_High 12-12-2012 09:35 AM

Sorry to hijack your thread...but I figure it's almost the same topic...

Any suggestion for:
- a slightly lower ~$30 budget?
- not with a girlfriend
- not for Christmas Eve

inv4zn 12-12-2012 09:37 AM

^What kind of food? Location?

Akinari 12-12-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky_High (Post 8105057)
Sorry to hijack your thread...but I figure it's almost the same topic...

Any suggestion for:
- a slightly lower ~$30 budget?
- not with a girlfriend
- not for Christmas Eve

Milestone's, Cactus Club, Zefferelli's, White Spot?

BaoTurbo 12-12-2012 10:19 AM

Grouse Mountain. Who would have thought?

keifun 12-12-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 8104907)
Salmon House in west van
Great view
Good food
And not super expensive
Posted via RS Mobile

+1 I'm going on the 22nd Saturday..FYI they are closed on xmas eve.

bcrdukes 12-12-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky_High (Post 8105057)
- not with a girlfriend

Somebody got friend zoned.

winson604 12-12-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8104874)
Could you post up a review, please? :)

Been a little while since I went but I'll write what I remember. I can't find the photos I have from all my meals there so I'll steal them from the internet for now lol. You'll also have to excuse my food review skills. Articulating my thoughts into words is not a strength so it might be lame.

*Disclaimer* Due to the fact that he changes his menu from season to season the pictures may not 100% reflect what I had. Typically, the main item on the dish stays the same but the supporting cast will change.

Lobster Cappuccino

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jxMeOdKKCM...0/DSC_8218.jpg

When I ordered it I wasn't sure what to expect and it sounded weird but after the first spoonful I was in love. It's a Losbter Bisque Foam with a Dashi Custard and Atlantic Lobster. Consistency might be weird for some because it's really just foam and bits of lobster at the bottom, almost like you were eating air but I enjoyed it and have since ordered it every time I go. Chef Jaeger changed the menu based on what's in season so this dish currently is a BC Prawn Bisque or the "Local Prawn Cappucino"

Braised ‘Peace River’ Lamb Shank Served boneless with Seared Scallops and Roasted Pear Risotto

http://fabulouslyfrugalinvancouver.f.../lambshank.jpg

Cooked to perfection, the lamb wasn't chewy or tough and you could easily tear it up with just a fork. Scallops had just the perfect sear on them and I could have eaten a dozen of them. Taste was just perfect, not over seasoned and sauce didn't over power the stars on the plate. Risotto is not in the picture as it comes in a separate dish. I'm not a risotto fan but I ate it anyway and neither liked it or disliked it.

Pan Roasted ‘Miracle Springs’ Trout Served with
Pomme Dauphine And Butternut Squash

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8AllKi0YbO...Trout-7925.jpg

All I remember about this one was it was seared just right and not overcooked. It's been a while for this dish :okay:

Bershire Pork Belly

http://fabulouslyfrugalinvancouver.f...pg?w=500&h=333

Crispy and delicious are my memories of this dish. Pork belly is hard to cook and will often come out all chewy or stringy much like lamb. Not the case here.

Tomato Soup

http://fabulouslyfrugalinvancouver.f...omato_soup.jpg

It tasted super fresh but personally I didn't enjoy it that much. A little on the bland side for me imo.

As for deserts I'm not going to get into it as I'm not really a desert guy but I tried a few and all I will say is they were decent.

bcrdukes 12-12-2012 04:33 PM

Looks delicious and thanks! Will put on my "to try" list but for 2013. :D