REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thinking back to another coach I had in highschool bball. We beat a team by 40 points and he made us do lines (suicides) after the game. The other coach thought our coach was showing him up and a fight almost ensued. Our coach's rationale was, that we weren't sticking to our game plan. lol
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #27
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
Thinking back to another coach I had in highschool bball. We beat a team by 40 points and he made us do lines (suicides) after the game. The other coach thought our coach was showing him up and a fight almost ensued. Our coach's rationale was, that we weren't sticking to our game plan. lol
We've done lines and other conditioning drills after 3 games that I can remember because the coach thought we didn't work hard enough to get better as our goal was to improve a little bit every day and i agreed with his decision. You play to win and to get better till you can say you're the best. I also remember the assistant coach putting guys that played low minutes through a workout after the game to make sure they got reps and a sweat in after almost every game.
van_city23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #28
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,326 Times in 5,642 Posts
People also seem to gloss over the fact that clearly there is an issue with their divisional breakdowns/ matchups, this match shouldn't have happened in the first place with the proper management in place
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #29
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

This is just ludacris, hearing a coach getting fired for a game of high school girls basketball. What kind of world are we in where a team that practices to succeed gets bashed for winning a team who clearly lacks the effort to practice and do well. Dont tell me that they dont have enough funds of budget to practice. All they need is 1 ball, a court inside or out, and time. If the team that lost didnt want to try why bother wasting peoples time having a team.

We are in a generation where we are too concern with tucking people in and making everyone comfortable with political correctness and sympathy. People dont play sports NOT to try and win. I want to know what the losing teams side of the story is. In Ice604 if you are up 5-7+ goals. they run the whole third period through without any stops regardless of time left.

Just my 2cents
toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #30
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
When I was in High School, Victoria had a basketball tournament every year. A team from Seattle would come and beat every team by 60 to 70 points. No one complained no one cried. The score would have been higher if the team did not have a minimum 3 pass and no dunking rule.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #31
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
I played on a top provincial/national level lacrosse team and I can explicitly remember my coach telling us to run up the score on certain teams to embarass them. Probabaly more of a pump up thing then a reality.

Then again, there were some games where we were dominating so bad that we would switch our offence and defense around.. Those were always entertaining.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #32
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

It's another case of giving people credit, and making them feel comfortable in this world. It's like the teacher who gave "zeroes" to students and got fired for it. If the work and time isn't put in, you lose. You don't get part marks, you don't get a part victory.

I remember playing, and we got thrashed by 50 points, hell, we got laughed at and it was sad, but that just meant we had a hell of a lot of room to improve. Better yet, if the team knows they'll be thrashed, why not throw in the towel? Lose-lose situation.
We play sports to win. I'd be mad if the team started showing off how badly they won, but if they just played they're best, I don't believe the coach deserved what he got.
Posted via RS Mobile
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #33
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
pathetic...if high school kids can't deal with an embarassing match score...how are they gonna handle disappointments later in life?

Then you'll have media telling the public how a prank call can push someone over the edge into suicide
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #34
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyobaru View Post
This is just ludacris, hearing a coach getting fired for a game of high school girls basketball. What kind of world are we in where a team that practices to succeed gets bashed for winning a team who clearly lacks the effort to practice and do well. Dont tell me that they dont have enough funds of budget to practice. All they need is 1 ball, a court inside or out, and time. If the team that lost didnt want to try why bother wasting peoples time having a team.

We are in a generation where we are too concern with tucking people in and making everyone comfortable with political correctness and sympathy. People dont play sports NOT to try and win. I want to know what the losing teams side of the story is. In Ice604 if you are up 5-7+ goals. they run the whole third period through without any stops regardless of time left.

Just my 2cents
Not to be an ass, but ludacris is this guy:

Ludicrous is the word you are looking for.

Sorry might help you out though.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #35
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Lol, fire the WINNING coach??

If dumb logic has to come in play, I rather they fire the LOSING coach for not throwing in the towel.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #36
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

When i was in high school, we played a really weak team in a tournament from Khalsa (sp?). When the lead was 40 or 50 points, our coach swapped the starters for the bench players, and that's when I got my career high of 10 points.

He called a timeout in the 3rd quarter and told us (the bench) to ease up more and that that was the only time he'd ever tell us to do so. We ended up winning 95-15 before getting destroyed in the next game by North Delta, a team of black guys and east indians who took offense to us "embarrassing" the Khalsa team.
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #37
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO7 View Post
When i was in high school, we played a really weak team in a tournament from Khalsa (sp?). When the lead was 40 or 50 points, our coach swapped the starters for the bench players, and that's when I got my career high of 10 points.

He called a timeout in the 3rd quarter and told us (the bench) to ease up more and that that was the only time he'd ever tell us to do so. We ended up winning 95-15 before getting destroyed in the next game by North Delta, a team of black guys and east indians who took offense to us "embarrassing" the Khalsa team.
I agree with that.

I don't think in our participation trophy age that we need to tell the team to intentionally starting playing poorly, but you can certainly tell them to not win so damned hard.

But you also shouldn't fire the guy for this. It's a fucking high school basketball game.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #38
I STILL don't get it

How is it respect to not play at 100%?
Somehow saying you suck so much I'm going to go easy on you is less awful than you suck so much I beat you 100-0?
When you're doing ANYTHING competitive, you should put in your best effort and expect your opponent to as well.
If you suck, you suck. Life isn't fair. Don't compete if you can't deal with it.
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #39
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Arlington High School is one of the lowest-performing schools in the nation. 30% of graduates do so with waivers. Average SAT scores are 395 math; 397 verbal; 391 writing.
It seems like it was a David vs. Goliath thing...and Goliath won. There are some racial undertones to the story as well, and the media loves that.

Top comment from ESPN story:

Quote:
Sometimes in life, you just get your backside handed to you on a silver platter. I guarantee you there isnt one girl on that team who will ever forget that game for the rest of their life, and they will remember the feeling of humiliation, amd work harder in every aspect of their life to avoid that feeling again. Thats way more valuable to personal growth than any "participation award".

Last edited by inv4zn; 12-13-2012 at 03:45 PM.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #40
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Terrible. Wrong coach fired.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #41
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
As far as I can tell, no coaches were fired. Not sure where you heard that from.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #42
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Winning 107-2 is only bad if any of the following things happen:

- The coach tells his team to run up the score for the hell of it.

- The coach and team overtly celebrate every single point that's scored.

I remember the USA women's soccer coach did that when they played some tiny country with a small soccer program. The coach celebrated and high fived her team after each goal even when they were already up by 10. It was really poor.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #43
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
In pro sports, yeah sure, run that score up. Sportsmanship my ass. It's less sporting to let up. That's like telling the other team that despite the fact you both do the exact same job and probably get paid the same money, you're better than them so you're taking pity on them. Grown ass men can take defeat and embarassment because getting your ass handed to you on the ice motivates you to destroy those fucks the next time.

But in kids sports...c'mon...kids don't know this shit yet and it's high school so it's probably...just for fun?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #44
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
In pro sports, yeah sure, run that score up. Sportsmanship my ass. It's less sporting to let up. That's like telling the other team that despite the fact you both do the exact same job and probably get paid the same money, you're better than them so you're taking pity on them. Grown ass men can take defeat and embarassment because getting your ass handed to you on the ice motivates you to destroy those fucks the next time.

But in kids sports...c'mon...kids don't know this shit yet and it's high school so it's probably...just for fun?
Depends some players play well and they got discover and become NBA stars so I think is only fair to play your best everytime.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #45
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
As far as I can tell, no coaches were fired. Not sure where you heard that from.
Ah, the fired coach was from another "incident".

Quote:
At a girls high school Basketball game in Texas back in January of 2009, the Covenant School embarrassed Dallas Academy handing them a 100-0 loss. The covenant school was up 59-0 at half time, but continued to shoot three-pointers well into the 4th quarter and play a press defense for the entirety of the game. Covenant girls varsity head coach, Micah Grimes, was then fired after the 100-0 victory and did not make any apologies for his actions.
The original source I read it from was in Korean and I guess they threw in some bits
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #46
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,179 Times in 229 Posts
LOOL 2 POINTS
sorry too funny
Jegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #47
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
i bet the author of this article has an ugly fat kid who never gets picked for any of the teams.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #48
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Maybe they should go ahead and give the team that lost a participation trophy as well.

The pussification of society continues.

How many people who say "they should ease up, its not pro sports, its highschool sports just for fun" have never played a sport in their life? It doesn't matter if you're 33 years old in the NHL playoffs or 14 in highschool basketball or 23 in monday night co-ed indoor soccer. EVERYONE plays to win and goes out and competes. When you're in that game, it's all you think about. You don't have the luxury of sitting behind a computer saying 'its just a silly game, its not pro sports'. No one wants to lose, and equally as much, no one wants to half ass it. Sports is about doing your best, not about saving your opponents feelings. "Just have a good time, don't worry about winning" is what parents say to fat 5 year olds crying on the sidelines because they suck at sports.

Last edited by RRxtar; 12-13-2012 at 10:33 PM.
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #49
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
23-0 and lose by 100+ points yet there hasn't been a bench clearing brawl yet. Give these girls a gold star.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #50
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
you shouldn't play sports if you're going to cry
Posted via RS Mobile
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote