REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #251
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
think this topic is straying a bit too far into the "guns for everyone and the media wants to brainwash you into thinking they're evil" especially considering the topic...
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #252
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
I assume you are speculating that return fire at the active shooter by legally armed citizens would increase the death toll in this situation.

Did you not read the Tacoma Mall shooting? Or the Clackamas Town Center shooting? Even the Appalachian School of Law shooting? All involved legally armed citizens confronting the active shooter. In none of these cases were innocent bystanders shot by legally armed citizens. In two of these cases legally armed citizens chose NOT to fire because innocent bystanders were behind their target, in the line of fire.

CCW holders are not brazen vigiliantes out to shoot first and ask questions later. They follow the four fundamental safety rules, the relevant one in this case being be sure of your target and what is in front of and behind it.

Is everyone not surprised that these documented cases of active shooters being confronted by CCW holders were not widely publicized by the national news media? I'm betting almost NO ONE here has heard of the Appalachian School of Law shooting. It happened three years after Columbine and generated little news. Does no one believe that the national news media like CNN and MSNBC have their own agenda? They are profit making ventures! Read the Wiki page I posted about defensive incidents involving firearms and tell me how many of those you heard on the news.
In a theatre, do you want people shooting back and forth?

And you found three examples of it "working". You can probably find 10 more where it didn't "work"

If you are arguing that more guns is safer than less guns.. well, just leave it at that...
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #253

come on seriously...
Old 12-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #254
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
CCW holders are not brazen vigiliantes out to shoot first and ask questions later. They follow the four fundamental safety rules, the relevant one in this case being be sure of your target and what is in front of and behind it.

and priests are good people. Just because a person is a CCW holder does not make him a good person.

Texas man accidentally fires gun in Walmart, police say | Fox News

Texas man accidentally fires gun in Walmart, police say

Published July 24, 2012

FoxNews.com

A Texas man injured two people and himself after he accidentally fired his handgun Monday night while standing on line at a Walmart store, police said.

MyFoxDFW.com reported that the suspect, who was not identified, accidentally fired his gun while he reached into his wallet at the Dallas-area store. The bullet hit the man in the buttock and shattered on the ground. Fragments hit a child in the leg and a woman in the foot, the report said.

The suspect, who has a concealed handgun license, apparently panicked and took off running, but was soon caught by police.

He faces evasion charges and injury to a child.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #255

+ all the shootings that happened even recently where a person "felt threatened" and murdered someone

like that kid who went to buy some candy at the corner store
Old 12-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #256
Need to Seek Professional Help

BACK to the actual incident...

the family of the shooter speaks out

Connecticut Shooting: Adam Lanza's Father Expresses Condolences : People.com

father: Peter lanza Tax Director and Vice President of taxes at GE general electric
mother: owned the three firearms for self defence, says the aunt
brother: CA at ernst & young

apparently the parents divorced a few years ago and Adam's brother and father hasn't seen him in two years. but i feel bad for the family, and what the lanza name is know associated with. i wonder how the father will be affected by this, being an exec at such a large firm

from the cnn artical: Adam Lanza's family: Mom liked parlor games, guns; dad, a tax exec, remarried - CNN.com

Quote:
Adam Lanza had no known criminal record, a law enforcement official said.
A member of Lanza's family told investigators that he had a form of autism, according to a law enforcement official who spoke under condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the investigation.
Acquaintances struggled with fathoming the deadly actions being attributed to someone they had known.
Alex Israel was in the same class at Newtown High School with Adam Lanza, who lived a few houses down from her.
"You could definitely tell he was a genius," Israel told CNN, adding she hadn't talked with him since middle school. "He was really quiet, he kept to himself."
His former bus driver, Marsha Moskowitz, told CNN affiliate WABC that he was "a nice kid, very polite" like his brother.
"It's a shock to even know (the family)," she said. "You can't understand what happened."
A former classmate told CNN affiliate WCBS that Adam Lanza "was just a kid" -- not a troublemaker, not antisocial, not suggesting in any way that he could erupt like this.
"I don't know who would do anything like this," the classmate said, before walking away distraught. "This is unspeakable."
rocksforsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #257
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
It's all about parenting.

The gun control/ban issue will only further polarize opinions. Gun advocates will argue that someone with a burner could've stopped the kid. While on the other side, people will argue that if he didn't have access to weapons the damage wouldn't have been as destructive.

The real issue is why was an autistic kid allowed such easy access to 3 firearms and ammo? What were the parents thinking? Despite the divorce, the father should be held responsible.

I've been a strong proponent for the need to regulate having kids (through extensive licensing, parenting courses, education and income ability/potential).

Similarly, dogs' teeth are a deadly weapon, like a gun. Are we all supposed to file them down or take them all out? No, any responsible dog owner would spend the time and train the dog; and if an irresponsible owner lets an attack happen he/she is accountable. Parents should be held accountable.

Unleashing a human being into the world should be a carefully thought out process, you just can't fuck around have a bunch of kids and not teach them anything, (monitor them if they're unwell).
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #258
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
I've been a strong proponent for the need to regulate having kids (through extensive licensing, parenting courses, education and income ability/potential).
Forget banning guns just ban people.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #259
rsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Forget banning guns just ban people.
I don't mind seeing certain demographic groups be banned from reproducing. Crackheads, gangbangers, uneducated preteens, extreme religious fundamentalists, etc.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #260

yeah and everyone who shouldn't be allowed to have kids should also wear a patch on their clothes or maybe have it noted on their drivers license so that people/govt./etc would know
Old 12-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #261
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
+ all the shootings that happened even recently where a person "felt threatened" and murdered someone

like that kid who went to buy some candy at the corner store
For a sec there, I thought you were talking about Treyvon Martin who got shot for practically just looking sketchy with his hoodie.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #262
rsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
yeah and everyone who shouldn't be allowed to have kids should also wear a patch on their clothes or maybe have it noted on their drivers license so that people/govt./etc would know
It's not about ostracizing a group of people, I'm saying it would be relevant to have a licensing, education and evaluation program for people who want to have kids.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #263
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
For a sec there, I thought you were talking about Treyvon Martin who got shot for practically just looking sketchy with his hoodie.
.............that IS who he is talking about.......
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #264

Quote:
i was
was making a point about how those with conceal carry permits aren't always safe/cautious like jlo would have us believe
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #265
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,725 Times in 950 Posts
Saw this in the paper.
Srs, if they can't even correctly spell the weapons with a simple Google, should they really be commenting at all on this? I can only imagine how much misinformation is in the whole article if they can't even bother to spell check.

"Ushmaster"
"Sigsauer"
Picture of Glock19, article says Glock17. Shooter used G19.

Last edited by trollface; 12-17-2012 at 12:20 AM.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Saw this in the paper.
Srs, if they can't even correctly spell the weapons with a simple Google, should they really be comment at all on this? I can only imagine how much misinformation is in the whole article if they can't even bother to spell check.

http://s9.postimage.org/8x13wu5f3/20...6_23_22_49.jpg

"Ushmaster"
"Sigsauer"
Picture of Glock19, article says Glock17. Shooter used G19.
i agree
Old 12-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #267
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
you can't imagine how much crap is in Chinese newspapers indoctrinating the minds of c lais
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:56 AM   #268
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:28 AM   #269
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #270
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
Brutal
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #271
I subscribe to Revscene

Putting faces to those names just makes it that much more trajic
Posted via RS Mobile
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #272
I don't get it

I don't think prohibition has ever worked as it was intended to.

For example, if guns were banned outright, the people who follow the law would be turning them in. If you're used to robbing people or have plans to shoot up an elementary school, you're gonna disregard the rules. Then you're in a situation where the most dangerous members of society have access to killing machines while the rest of the people aren't able to defend themselves.

I know there are no-firearm zones such as elementary schools and even theaters like the one in the Colorado shooting. Maybe the solution in schools is having the principal or another willing teacher to go through firearm training, allowing one gun to be kept in a secure office in case of another shooting incident.
hotshot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #273
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
A good look at what's its like to parent someone with mental illness; a parent who's someday worried that she may be raising her own Dylan Klebold or Eric Harris but doesn't have the heart to send him to jail.

This article really focuses on the problem of dealing with mental illness rather than gun control.

The Anarchist Soccer Mom

Spoiler!
Just wanted to repost what Noir posted earlier in case it was missed. It's not long, and it's an excellent read.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi

Last edited by Gumby; 12-17-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #274
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
Seeing the faces of those kids is sad, but I have no faith in the United States to do the right thing and take serious measures to control firearms. If an incident like this can't move people to do the right thing, then nothing will.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #275
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
IMO there is no way to "control" 300 million guns.
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: