REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Euro Tech Resources

Euro Tech Resources All Euros (VW, BMW, Benz, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc) Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 12-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Mercedes Benz C300 - Manual Transmission question

I own a 2008 Mercedes Benz C300 - 6 speed manual transmission.

I drive and own manual transmission cars all my life. Yesterday, I was driving to work and my car stalled. Weird, but I didn't think much of it and started the car again. The car shook really bad as I move and I knew something was not right.

I tried restarting the car and when I stepped on the clutch, and it was stiffer then usually. I also couldn't put my car in gear. So, I had my car towed to the Mercedes dealership. Today, Mercedes called and they told me I needed a new clutch. I was so surprised to hear my clutch went since I baby my car. I never abused the clutch ever. The service adviser said, my car was due for a new clutch at80k.

Not sure if anyone experience something like this or know anything, but any feedback is much appreciated.
Advertisement
Ray-316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
I suppose it all really depends on how you drive and it would make a difference if you're primarily driving in the city. I don't own this particular car but at 80,000km, it sounds about right for a new clutch. However, I'm quite surprised it died out so early. Most OEM clutches are good until 100k if you push it, if not, a little bit more.

Interested in seeing what the final result is.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
OT but how's the clutch and shifter on the C-Class? I've never seen a manual version of that car ever.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
OT but how's the clutch and shifter on the C-Class? I've never seen a manual version of that car ever.
LOL Same! I thought Mercedes-Benz pretty much made manual transmission a "special order" option only, if at all!

Edit: Who makes their transmissions, anyway? Borg-Warner?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
I love it. It has a nice feel to it. I was always a BMW guy but when I found a Mercedes with a manual transmission, I was all over it. Yeah, it’s my daily commuter.

Mercedes-Benz Canada does offer cars with manual transmission but it’s very rare to find them on the market.

On the Mercedes forum, I saw one of the guys posts, his clutch went at 50k and he claimed he never abuse the clutch. Car was leased and of course, warranty did not cover it.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
I don't get it

Are you the first owner of the car?
xjc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjc11 View Post
Are you the first owner of the car?
Nope. 2nd owner. It was a lease return
Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #8

So this is what Mercedes service adviser told me... Basically something broke or jammed and I need a new clutch, vacuum plate and release bearing
Old 12-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
I don't get it

hope ur covered by warranty
First owner probably learned manual on your car
xjc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
BY vacuum plate you mean pressure plate? there is a big difference between sucking and blowing. =D

a clutch job usually includes:
- clutch plate
- pressure plate
- release bearing.

all items should be replaced, otherwise, if any one fails, the whole tranny has to come back out and everything seperated again.

saying a clutch should last 100k is saying the same for brakes. what if you live in an area that has a lot of hills, or a lot of traffic. you will use the clutch and the brake more frequent and thus will be replaced sooner than the avg 100k estimate.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote