REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Fog lights (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677975-fog-lights.html)

nsx042003 12-15-2012 09:01 PM

Fog lights

Hello,

sorry if this has been covered before, but what is the law about fog lamp?

I read from the MVA reg and it says:

Fog lamps

4.11 (1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 fog lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle below the headlamps, that are capable of displaying only white or amber light.

(2) Each fog lamp must be

(a) mounted not more than 30 cm below the headlamps, and

(b) adjusted and aimed so that, at a distance of 8 m from the lamp, the centre of the beam is at least 10 cm below the height of the fog lamp.

(3) The fog lamp wiring and switch must permit simultaneous operation of the parking lamps, tail lamps, licence plate lamp and, if required, clearance lamps.

(4) The operator of a vehicle may use fog lamps instead of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

But I couldn't find/missed something that reads when fog light cannot be used.

I thought i read a thread about this before but not sure...

thanks

Spidey 12-15-2012 09:12 PM

(4) The operator of a vehicle may use fog lamps instead of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.

from what I understand, you cannot use them instead of headlamps if atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps advantageous. Also, from what it says in that section, you can only use one or the other, not both.

nsx042003 12-15-2012 10:47 PM

that's what i sort of understand it as. but wouldn't that be an impossible feat? I haven't found a way to do it in any of the cars i've owned, fog only goes on if headlamp is on.

But I wanted to know if it's legal to have fog on whenver i want? :ilied::fullofwin:

I really like how my car look with it on haha

XplicitLuder 12-15-2012 11:21 PM

is it legal ? = no

do cops care ? = from MY experience, not really

jpark 12-16-2012 02:14 PM

its fine.. as long as you dont put in blinding hids

Nlkko 12-16-2012 03:18 PM

I would say nobody cares but you live in Richmond. Better not give them a reason to pull you over. :lawl:

wing_woo 12-17-2012 08:32 AM

I wish cops can give tickets to those idiots who leave their rear fog lights on all the time.

Spidey 12-17-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wing_woo (Post 8109031)
I wish cops can give tickets to those idiots who leave their rear fog lights on all the time.

they can.

sebberry 12-17-2012 06:01 PM

It doesn't matter when you use fog lamps, but you can only use them in place of low-beam headlamps when the weather makes using your low-beams unsafe.

XplicitLuder 12-17-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 8109431)
It doesn't matter when you use fog lamps, but you can only use them in place of low-beam headlamps

:suspicious: oxymoron major ? :ilied:

sebberry 12-17-2012 06:46 PM

re-read:

You can use them any time you want, but you can only use them in place of low-beams when atmospheric conditions make using low-beams disadvantageous.

So if you want to use your fog lamps with your low-beams off, atmospheric conditions must call for this. Use the fogs at any time of day or night in all other weather conditions as long as your low-beams are on.

nsx042003 12-17-2012 08:15 PM

I was told by an unmarked car saying it was illegal.

he said it was blinding and that i could only use fog under adverse condition. But they are not HID....just regular bulb and i tinted the lens to yellow....should've been dimmer if anything..

I just don't see where it says I cannot use it in combination with headlamp under NORMAL condition....the law clearly says I can't do it when it's bad condition out. BUT we all know that it's impossible because fog lights do not turn on independent of the headlamp, unless fog lights were aftermarket.

sebberry 12-17-2012 08:21 PM

If the fog lights are "blinding" they're not aimed properly. They're supposed to be aimed low so the light doesn't scatter back off the fog in front of you.

inv4zn 12-17-2012 11:40 PM

I think this is the first time I've seen sebberry input something that makes sense..:badpokerface:

entrax 12-18-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx042003 (Post 8109512)
I was told by an unmarked car saying it was illegal.

he said it was blinding and that i could only use fog under adverse condition. But they are not HID....just regular bulb and i tinted the lens to yellow....should've been dimmer if anything..

ditto here. except it was an rcmp lady doing an alcohol checkpoint going onto hwy 1 on grandview. "turn off your fog lights, it's not foggy"

yes but it was raining, and it's aimed right, not HID, just tinted yellow as well.