REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 12-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
I don't get it

whole house surge suppressor protection

I was thinking that with my kitchen appliances, TV's, computers, radios, electronics, etc. that it would be expensive and time consuming to go around buying individual surge suppressors for everything. My parents had a VCR blow out while Hydro was working on the pole outside their house and Hydro says it's not their responsibility. I'd hate to come home to find any of my electronics burned because of a power surge and have no recourse except with house insurance.

The surge suppressors are less than $200 from Home Depot and it's cheap insurance to go along with the inline suppressors I already have. Anyone have experience with whole house surge suppressors? Any recommendations?
Advertisement
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

for what it's worth, Mike Holmes always seems to have them installed when he has his electricians redo panels etc
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

^Who is Mike Holmes?
Smallermouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepywheel View Post
I was thinking that with my kitchen appliances, TV's, computers, radios, electronics, etc. that it would be expensive and time consuming to go around buying individual surge suppressors for everything. My parents had a VCR blow out while Hydro was working on the pole outside their house and Hydro says it's not their responsibility. I'd hate to come home to find any of my electronics burned because of a power surge and have no recourse except with house insurance.

The surge suppressors are less than $200 from Home Depot and it's cheap insurance to go along with the inline suppressors I already have. Anyone have experience with whole house surge suppressors? Any recommendations?

Its preferred , in the end it gice you a piece of mind if the surge. Only cost a coouple huns . Even if you got insurance it more of a bitch to try and claim after all your loss. Just get it for your panel .
Posted via RS Mobile
RenoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,452 Times in 146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
for what it's worth, Mike Holmes always seems to have them installed when he has his electricians redo panels etc
like he said. Mike Holmes swears by them. And hes only the Greatest Professional contractor you could ever hope to hire.
Make It Right®
jepho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
I don't get it

A friend of mine who is a retired electrician says he has a brand new commercial one that he can install for me. He has installed them in a few houses and recommends them, if nothing else, just for peace of mind. If any of my appliances or computers fries, at least I can say I tried to prevent it rather than buying one after the fact.

If Mike Holmes puts them in, that's good enough reason for me.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jepho View Post
like he said. Mike Holmes swears by them. And hes only the Greatest Professional contractor you could ever hope to hire.
Make It Right®
That's because he's in Ontario where they get tons of lightning. No real need here. They also don't work that great from what I hear.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
I STILL don't get it

better protect your cable lines and phone lines as well. you don't want the surge to sneak up these wires!
it is mostly lightning that causes surges, but when devices fail in transmission lines, a surge could also be create in a power grid.
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
I don't get it

One of the places I go to on produce row had a cable on the power pole a block away blow out a couple of weeks ago and caused them some grief. Five electric motors blew out and had to be replaced. I don't know if a surge protector would have saved them but something caused the motors to blow either when the line blew or when the hydro boys reconnected the line. So for me, a surge protector is the least I can do. Especially now that the one I've got is free.

noventa, good idea. I've got some UPS units that have the cable and phone line suppressors built in but never bothered to hook them up. Since they're here anyway I might as well use them.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

if you want to surge protection for electronic, the best way to do it is to pull insulated ground bx. they give you an extra ground wire along with your 2 wire. but make sure you use the orange color recepticle.
blue_noise is offline   Reply With Quote