REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   Ski hill expects $10,000 search cost to be paid by rescued boarder (https://www.revscene.net/forums/678139-ski-hill-expects-%2410-000-search-cost-paid-rescued-boarder.html)

Traum 12-19-2012 11:55 PM

Ski hill expects $10,000 search cost to be paid by rescued boarder

Ski hill expects $10,000 search cost to be paid by rescued boarder

I am glad the fellow is found and that he is in relatively good health. But I must say I am happier to see that he has to foot his own rescue bill since he consciously chose to wander off into out of bounds areas.

604778 12-20-2012 01:21 AM

The guy that got rescued is a buddy of my manager from work..

skyxx 12-20-2012 01:23 AM

^ And your point?

dlo 12-20-2012 01:25 AM

At least the bill will be donated to a good cause, he wasn't in the right state of mind when he wandered off, but can't be giving out excuses, hope they can work something out
Posted via RS Mobile

SilverT 12-20-2012 08:20 AM

It looks like he may only have to pay 1/10th of the rescue bill
Posted via RS Mobile

accordpoop 12-20-2012 09:29 AM

Ya so who's going to pay the other 90k?? 10k is a slap on the wrist.

freakshow 12-20-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBPTL6o4 (Post 8111658)
At least the bill will be donated to a good cause, he wasn't in the right state of mind when he wandered off, but can't be giving out excuses, hope they can work something out
Posted via RS Mobile

I wasn't following the story, what do you mean he wasn't in the right state of mind?

GLOW 12-20-2012 09:41 AM

at least now it might deter people from acting like cowboys going out of bounds that there are financial implications should they choose to go out of bounds and require SAR services

Traum 12-20-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakshow (Post 8111801)
I wasn't following the story, what do you mean he wasn't in the right state of mind?

Apparently, one of his best friends from his hometown (Ottawa) has just been killed in a car accident, so he said his state of mind wasn't quite right.

I'm sure the death of a close friend is a traumatic experience, but I would hardly call that a valid defence against crossing the marked boundaries of the ski areas.

Gumby 12-20-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8111813)
Apparently, one of his best friends from his hometown (Ottawa) has just been killed in a car accident, so he said his state of mind wasn't quite right.

I'm sure the death of a close friend is a traumatic experience, but I would hardly call that a valid defence against crossing the marked boundaries of the ski areas.

Yeah, "my friend just died, so I'm gonna go do something dangerous (i.e. go out of bounds)"" doesn't make sense to me...

Traum 12-20-2012 10:25 AM

On a similar note, another pair of skiiers -- this time a father and a son -- is in need of rescue while venturing in out-of-bounds areas in Revelstoke:

Rescue operation underway near Revelstoke for out-of-bounds skier and sons

It looks like they'll be perfectly fine. But I seriously hope these guys will have to foot their own rescue bill in its entirety as well.

nabs 12-20-2012 10:32 AM

^^^ father and 3 young sons... child endangerment much.

melloman 12-20-2012 11:16 AM

"Right state of mind" .... even though ALL HIS FRIENDS stayed inbounds. He was the only idiot who went out-of-bounds.

Definitely needs to foot his own bill IMHO.

noventa 12-22-2012 12:07 AM

maybe he had an Empire state of mind. In New York, concrete jungles where dreams are made of!

falcon 12-22-2012 06:03 PM

NS Search And Rescue does not charge for their services and refuse "donations" by the ski hills. Good on them, otherwise people will be too scared to call for help when they get lost.

Any skiing out of bounds is awesome and everyone should do it. Srs. Skiing on piste is gay and boring. Just be prepared and know your terrain.

GabAlmighty 12-22-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabs (Post 8111841)
^^^ father and 3 young sons... child endangerment much.

My pops and I have been out of bounds a few times, there's nothing like getting away from it all and spending some quality bonding time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 8113699)
NS Search And Rescue does not charge for their services and refuse "donations" by the ski hills. Good on them, otherwise people will be too scared to call for help when they get lost.

Any skiing out of bounds is awesome and everyone should do it. Srs. Skiing on piste is gay and boring. Just be prepared and know your terrain.

Thank you, at least someone here gets it.

subordinate 12-22-2012 07:16 PM

Be prepared and know your Terrain? :badpokerface:

NS Search and Rescue dropped about 30k in gear to rescue him, and can't recover it ATM.

On top of that, the insane $ spent and their lives risked, all because you wanted some fun from the norm? Go Sky Dive.

H.Specter 12-22-2012 07:18 PM

They actually spent 100k on the search effort, asking for 10% of that is not unreasonable.

DragonChi 12-22-2012 07:52 PM

What kind of equipment did they leave behind? What kind of gear do they use that's one time only?

These are legit questions, I'm curious.

MindBomber 12-22-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonChi (Post 8113758)
What kind of equipment did they leave behind? What kind of gear do they use that's one time only?

These are legit questions, I'm curious.

A story pertaining to the lost equipment.

I imagine the flight operations are a very significant portion of consumable expenses.

Quote:

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – North Shore Rescue is abandoning efforts to recover gear used during the rescue of a snowboarder Tuesday.

Crews launched an air operation to try and retrieve the $30,000 worth of gear that was dropped during the December 18 rescue of Sebastien Boucher, but were unable to complete the mission.

Tim Jones with North Shore Rescue says weather conditions weren’t cooperating.

“The safety parametres we put on this are far greater than on a real task because this is only gear, we’re not going after a person or saving a life. This is very essential gear, gear we need to reconstitute for one of our helicopter flight rescue kits, but it’s not going to stop our team from conducting another SAR operation,” he explains.

“It’s a combination of our helicopter flight rescue gear, hypothermia gear, survival gear, rope rescue gear, plus personal packs that were left at a different site, that’s where we were winched out on Tuesday night because it was too dangerous for the SAR techs to go back down and get our gear, it was a very tight situation on Tuesday night just getting us out,” Jones describes.

He says the gear is in two locations on Black Mountain. One location is at 3000 feet where SAR crews were first inserted by long line. The second location is at 1000 feet in a ravine where they found the 33-year-old snowboarder.

Jones says this call required “taking the kitchen sink in.”

“We weren’t sure where the guy was when we spotted the tracks, we didn’t know if he was high up or low down. We anticipated we may have to stay with him overnight, if not for two or three days, because of the snow conditions. We weren’t taking anything for granted on this task,” he says.

Jones doesn’t know when they can make another attempt at trying to grab the gear.

falcon 12-23-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H.Specter (Post 8113737)
They actually spent 100k on the search effort, asking for 10% of that is not unreasonable.

You don't get it. They aren't asking for ANY of it back. It's Cypress that is trying to get money from him just like Grouse did to some people a few years ago who weren't actually lost but someone called them in from a plane/heli thinking they were. North Shore Search and Rescue is a non for profit organization that relies on private donations, not recovery fees. If I somehow got lost and NSSR came, myself knowing they would try to "charge" me after I would refuse thier rescue.

That being said, skiing in the back country is completely safe. This guy was on Black Mtn., hardly backcountry. He likely went into the trees or something and just got lost because of stupidity. Whenever I go backcountry riding/skiing I have a pack with a beacon, shovel, probe, SPOT GPS, food to last a few days, thermal blanket, water and extra layers. You should also go with other people who have been where you are going (if it's your first time in the area).

Anyways.. I'm not going to argue the with you people whether you think it's safe or not, having had a lot of experience doing it I can say that it is.

Traum 12-23-2012 12:38 AM

If you know what you are doing, and is well prepared for both the task (of back country skiing / exploration / whatever) and as well as the potential consequences, then all the more power to you.

All I'm saying is, when someone has consciously made a decision to go out of bounds, and subsequently finds himself fxxking up and needs to call in the Search and Rescue crew, it only make sense that he pays for his stupidity and at least reimburse the Search and Rescue crew for all the expenses that was incurred during the search and rescue operation.

Whatever happened to responsibility, you know?

rsx 12-23-2012 02:32 AM

People should sign a waiver to go out of bounds giving up their right for any rescue attempts. That should solve it. If you get in trouble out there, that's your choice.

noventa 12-23-2012 12:03 PM

ppl should just stay in the city, where its safe. If you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere, including the out of bound area at Cypress.

falcon 12-23-2012 06:11 PM

Like I already mentioned, he was not skiing backcountry. He just went really out of bounds... looking at the video how the hell did he make it to where he ended up? :suspicious: