REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Hwy 17 enforcement? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/678208-hwy-17-enforcement.html)

jlenko 12-21-2012 05:27 PM

Hwy 17 enforcement?

Who's primarily responsible for traffic enforcement along the new SFPR (Hwy 17) in Surrey? Does it fall under Surrey RCMP or Freeways?

falcon 12-22-2012 04:42 PM

I have no idea, however my first thought would be the Port Mann RCMP Freeways detachment.

zulutango 12-22-2012 09:54 PM

The bottom part of your ticket will tell you which unit the issuing members belongs to.:fullofwin:

sebberry 12-23-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8113822)
The bottom part of your ticket will tell you which unit the issuing members belongs to.:fullofwin:

Since the grammatical errors in your post do not fall within the shaded areas of the post frame, I hereby declare your post.... invalid!

:p

zulutango 12-23-2012 09:52 PM

OK..."to which unit the issuing Members belong". Geeze...busted by the grammer Cops on almost Christmas Eve. :)

sebberry 12-23-2012 09:56 PM

Merry Christmas!

Graeme S 12-24-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8114542)
OK..."to which unit the issuing Members belong". Geeze...busted by the grammer Cops on almost Christmas Eve. :)

I think you were supposed to mention that since this forum's background is grey it's all the shaded area.

zulutango 12-24-2012 02:19 PM

Lets not get into a "shades of grey" discussion here....I gave the handcuffs back. :fullofwin:

Soundy 12-31-2012 12:57 PM

I sense this thread is quickly headed for the NSFW section...

sebberry 12-31-2012 01:01 PM

Next thing you know people will be asking about what he can do with his "nightstick"...

jlenko 12-31-2012 02:58 PM

I was just curious who to call.. I noticed a driver who appeared to be (very) impaired driving along there the other day, but as luck would have it my cell was dead. I just stayed well the f*** away from him.

So next time.. Freeway Patrol or Surrey RCMP?

Soundy 12-31-2012 03:04 PM

jlenko 12-31-2012 05:15 PM

E-Comm: "Do you need police, fire or ambulance?"

Me: "Hwy 17 freeway patrol please"

It helps to know what to ask for. When I was driving Hwy 1 every day, I'd call for Hwy 1 Patrol all the time. The dispatchers and I were on a first name basis...

nabs 12-31-2012 05:33 PM

zulu made me lawl with his one liners... love it! wish all police cops had his sense of humor ;)

sho_bc 12-31-2012 07:25 PM

Most of us do, we just don't display that side of it in public very often for fear of public complaints. Depending on who reviewed the complaint and the context/situation, making comments/jokes like that could easily be considered "founded" allegations of being unprofessional and whatever else they wanted to turn it into (harrassment, etc).
Posted via RS Mobile

ninjatune 12-31-2012 07:50 PM

The original portion of Hwy 17 (still called Hwy 17) which runs from the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal to Hwy 99 is patrolled by Deas Island Hwy Patrol. Who knows when the rest of if is done.

Soundy 01-01-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 8120185)
E-Comm: "Do you need police, fire or ambulance?"

Me: "Hwy 17 freeway patrol please"

It helps to know what to ask for.

Maybe, but I think most of them are probably smart enough to figure it out. Guarantee you they've taken hundreds of calls from people over the years who don't know the name for the roadway they're on.

As ninjatune notes, "Hwy. 17" by itself could refer to two completely different sections of road that for now are separate by 20km of nothingness.

Soundy 01-01-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 8120269)
Most of us do, we just don't display that side of it in public very often for fear of public complaints. Depending on who reviewed the complaint and the context/situation, making comments/jokes like that could easily be considered "founded" allegations of being unprofessional and whatever else they wanted to turn it into (harrassment, etc).
Posted via RS Mobile

It's a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't job most of the time. Try to be pleasant, and people complain that you're being unprofessional. Try to be all business, and now you're a cold, unfeeling douche (especially in these parts).

zulutango 01-03-2013 06:17 AM

Yup...tried to explain what the law was and why they had broken it when they asked...and portions of the conversation, taken out of context, were quoted back to my boss in a complaint. Avoid the problem by keeping the conversation simply on issuing the ticket and got complained about because I was rude and would not explain what they had done. Refused to get into roadside court sessions when they presented their "evidence" at the top of their lungs, complete with massive attitude and bullying to get me to drop the ticket and I was being "oppressive" in my bad attitude.

Decide to give them a major break and only charge for one of several infractions or, as in cases where I cancelled the ticket and issued a written or in one case a verbal warning , then It was a waste of their valuable time. In all cases I should have been out catching real criminals .

I must admit that I was astonished on 2 occasions to actually get letters of thanks from drivers I stopped. They said the ticket was a wake-up for their driving attitudes and helped remind them that they needed to change the way they drove. I was going to say that sometime you can't win, regardless of what you do, but in these 2 cases I think everybody did.

sebberry 01-03-2013 08:59 AM

Are conversations at the roadside recorded by police in BC?

sho_bc 01-03-2013 12:28 PM

I would say that the majority are not. And I'd say that's not likely to change any time soon. The in-car camera and personal recorder set-ups are expensive and the funding for the RCMP (federally) continues to be cut year after year.
Posted via RS Mobile

inv4zn 01-03-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8122139)
Yup...tried to explain what the law was and why they had broken it when they asked...and portions of the conversation, taken out of context, were quoted back to my boss in a complaint. Avoid the problem by keeping the conversation simply on issuing the ticket and got complained about because I was rude and would not explain what they had done. Refused to get into roadside court sessions when they presented their "evidence" at the top of their lungs, complete with massive attitude and bullying to get me to drop the ticket and I was being "oppressive" in my bad attitude.

Decide to give them a major break and only charge for one of several infractions or, as in cases where I cancelled the ticket and issued a written or in one case a verbal warning , then It was a waste of their valuable time. In all cases I should have been out catching real criminals .

I must admit that I was astonished on 2 occasions to actually get letters of thanks from drivers I stopped. They said the ticket was a wake-up for their driving attitudes and helped remind them that they needed to change the way they drove. I was going to say that sometime you can't win, regardless of what you do, but in these 2 cases I think everybody did.

I wanted to do this one time, but didn't in fear of reprimand for the officer.

I was clocked going ~130 on SW Marine Dr, at about 2am in the morning on Sunday, going home. Would have been excessive speeding, and I would have been MASSIVELY fooked had the officer given me that - instead he let me off and just gave me a speeding ticket. Was the first in 7 years of driving so I guess it helped, but still.

I wanted to send him a letter or a card or something but didn't in fear his supervisor will see...lol what would have usually happened if I had?

zulutango 01-03-2013 03:29 PM

In my case, both letters went to my boss ( different ones) and I knew nothing about them till I got called to the boss' office. Thought I was getting a lawnmower to my grass ass but was asked what had happened, I explained the circumstances, then they showed me the letters. Just about floored me.

inv4zn 01-03-2013 03:50 PM

So it's a good thing I didn't send the card then lol