REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 12-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
LONG ass drive

I'm driving to Calgary, going to be in a X3; new snow tires... going via Reve and then getting to Calgary and stopping at Banff and Reve to do some boarding

anyone have any advice on what to bring in the car? I made a huge list and someone said to me to put Drive BC on my twitter so i know what's going on whcih was a great idea for road conditions.

any good advice?
Advertisement
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

If you are going to drive on the Coquihalla Hwy better bring chains lots of snow over there.
sean_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
How to Make a Winter Survival Kit
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Sounds like a sweet trip OP. Oh and BTW, a drive that can easily be done in a day isn't a long ass drive. Lol
Teh Doucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

ur gona be tired as fuck if your driving long distance after boarding LOL
chasew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Small collapsible metal shovel (2 packs were at costco for $20), ice scraper, Winter washer fluid, Chains, a few bungee cords and if you have them, a snatch strap with a clevis and 2 foil safety blankets
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
lol, why is this titled LONG ass drive, when its just a 10 hour drive to Calgary?
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #8

it is 10 hours, but when you're going to Kamloops, it starts getting compact snow; then when you get past Revelstoke, there is a high probability you get stuck at Roger's pass; it's not uncommon you have to sleep there overnight.

i'm bring my sleeping bag just in case. i have had a few people who got stuck. a 10 hour becomes a good 12-13 hour due to snow delays.

i checked 2 places and there are a few places with 24 hour gas stations
Old 12-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

lol. I have never had that happen. Be a man. Route planning, and bring a capable vehicle and have a capable driver, maybe your girlfriend can do it?
Old 12-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
I am grateful grapefruit

If you've never used chains before, I highly suggest testing them out first before you go. There's nothing worse than trying to learn how to put them on in the swirling snow for the first time.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
it is 10 hours, but when you're going to Kamloops, it starts getting compact snow; then when you get past Revelstoke, there is a high probability you get stuck at Roger's pass; it's not uncommon you have to sleep there overnight.

i'm bring my sleeping bag just in case. i have had a few people who got stuck. a 10 hour becomes a good 12-13 hour due to snow delays.

i checked 2 places and there are a few places with 24 hour gas stations
My bro drove to Van a few days ago in his winter beater (with winter tires of course) and arrived in 11 hours... he said it was snowing like crazy from Calgary to Revy though. I'm sure you'll be fine..
Machi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
new x3 or old x3?

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I drove from calgary to vancouver through a snow storm in a slk on bald summer tires. Just drive smart eh, i had a semi pass me and the rocks from his veh crack my wind shield. But in the end, i home safe eh, but never again lol
beproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #14
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Bring basic survival gear (according to the conditions) in case you get stranded for a decent period of time, a topped up portable battery charger should be included for the car.

Bring motor oil and a small container of gasoline, if you want, bring a couple spare spark plugs and a cap+rotor set.

Here to Calgary isn't that far to be honest, though I've been desensitized, 3500 miles from Texas to Vancouver without any significant stops does that to you.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
Better safe than Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
Bring basic survival gear (according to the conditions) in case you get stranded for a decent period of time, a topped up portable battery charger should be included for the car.

Bring motor oil and a small container of gasoline, if you want, bring a couple spare spark plugs and a cap+rotor set.

Here to Calgary isn't that far to be honest, though I've been desensitized, 3500 miles from Texas to Vancouver without any significant stops does that to you.
I'm pretty sure if you're driving an X3 you're not going to be changing plugs on the side of the road. Good tip for the rest of us that drive old beaters with distributors though.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Bring some bottled water and some protein bars.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Bring a tanning bed so you look fresh as fuck after your LONG ass drive.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #18
MoD

Thanked 1,805 Times in 227 Posts
^
It appears that the OP has not done this type of driving in winter before. Why the snide remarks? He posted in the right section with a valid question. RS is an auto based community is it not?

It is amusing that you are so offended over him asking for advice after following the correct RS rules. If the question is stupid the first time, why revisit the thread a second time?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Im not offended, I was making an equally helpful comment about what to bring on a trip with the other equally helpful comments.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #20
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,141 Times in 7,148 Posts
I just did Van to edmonton and back in a slammed gti last week. Most important thing to bring is your brain. Drive a little slower when the roads are bad, winter tires are a must, and for fucks sake I can't stress this enough, don't drive tired. You need your reaction time if your tail decides to skip out a bit. As far as materials, lots of windshield washer fluid, zip ties, water to drink, some food, warm clothing, blankets, a pillow, lots of cds or iPod. Make sure your important stuff to fix a flat is there (jack, tire iron, WHEEL LOCK KEYS, properly inflated spare) charge your phone. Chains aren't necessary if you are on proper winters, and you shouldn't even think about driving it if you don't have proper winters.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #21
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
Im not offended, I was making an equally helpful comment about what to bring on a trip with the other equally helpful comments.
Lol stfu man you're making a fool out of yourself. Your comments are anything but helpful. I'm sure you wouldn't want others to give you retarded answers if you asked something.
Posted via RS Mobile
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-30-2012, 01:28 AM   #22
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
why not fly and rent a car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:29 AM   #23
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I just did Van to edmonton and back in a slammed gti last week. Most important thing to bring is your brain. Drive a little slower when the roads are bad, winter tires are a must, and for fucks sake I can't stress this enough, don't drive tired. You need your reaction time if your tail decides to skip out a bit. As far as materials, lots of windshield washer fluid, zip ties, water to drink, some food, warm clothing, blankets, a pillow, lots of cds or iPod. Make sure your important stuff to fix a flat is there (jack, tire iron, WHEEL LOCK KEYS, properly inflated spare) charge your phone. Chains aren't necessary if you are on proper winters, and you shouldn't even think about driving it if you don't have proper winters.
I absolutely agree with everything you've said, but especially the sentence in bold.

Despite what some suggest, chains are not a substitute for winter tires on the Coquihalla or similar roads, they should not be considered as more than a supplement. Chains are appropriate to use if you're caught in an unexpected storm to make it to the next town, they're to be used at low speed and checked routinely until you reach a safe point to wait for road conditions to improve. Winter tires are necessary to maintain traction at highway speed, which is what is expected of drivers the majority of the time. All-Season tires turn into frozen hockey pucks in the mountains, they're not appropriate for the conditions.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #24

So i just got back. it was a nice nad easy trip but not witout it's ups and downs.

van to revel we did in one day and we couldn't pushed to calgary with no problem.

1) you need winter tires for sure and yes the AWD does make a huge difference. X3 new or old shouldn't be an issue. If you have an BMW, rear wheel drive, even with winter tires, when you're at an incline and at a stop, you will have no momentum and you're fooked. just FYI
2) Roger's pass was luckily no snow, we didn't get any snow so that was good.
3)******* make sure you check your windsheild fluid is -35 and above. the old mechanic in Van put something that wasn't -30+ so the spout FROZE....

DO NOT worry, pull over to a gas station (and grab a cup of hot water and defrost it. just keep pouring it in. Lastly, once it's done, just keep pressing it and drain and put in new ones.

4) always have a thermos with hot water, you'll never know what's going to happen and need that warm cup of water.

5) I suggest you NOT drive (even when it's much cheaper. flight = 600 per person whereas driving was 1/5 the cost). You will get A LOT of windshield chips... it's just what it is.