REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   2 volunteer firefighters shot dead in ambush (https://www.revscene.net/forums/678306-2-volunteer-firefighters-shot-dead-ambush.html)

Timpo 12-24-2012 10:20 AM

2 volunteer firefighters shot dead in ambush

Only in America...

2 Rochester-area firefighters shot dead in ambush - World - CBC News

Boostslut 12-24-2012 10:56 AM

Seriously America, Fuck your guns.

I for one will never ever live in America.

2damaxmr2 12-24-2012 11:07 AM

Go fuck your self.

snails 12-24-2012 11:14 AM

are you kidding? Christmas eve and all... wtf

Horditruck 12-24-2012 11:21 AM

Glad that I live in Canada. At least i'll feel a bit more safe on the streets of Canada.

flagella 12-24-2012 11:22 AM

It's hard to imagine anyone would do this so randomly.

vafanculo 12-24-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagella (Post 8114856)
It's hard to imagine anyone would do this so randomly.

Not anymore.

I have a feeling there will be more and more to come.
Posted via RS Mobile

Bahhbeehhaaaa 12-24-2012 11:33 AM

don't think this is random..
A) House is a drug lab?
B) Shooters are rivals to house A?
C) Shooters are the ones who set the house on fire

Anyhow RIP to both of the brave fire fighters

GabAlmighty 12-24-2012 12:13 PM

FFS

hal0g0dv2 12-24-2012 12:23 PM

Wow seriously wtf
Posted via RS Mobile

TheKingdom2000 12-24-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bahhbeehhaaaa (Post 8114865)
don't think this is random..
A) House is a drug lab?
B) Shooters are rivals to house A?
C) Shooters are the ones who set the house on fire

Anyhow RIP to both of the brave fire fighters

Why would they shoot the first responders though?

mb_ 12-24-2012 12:27 PM

Gunman who ambushed and killed New York firefighters had served 17 years for killing his grandmother

Quote:

Gunman who ambushed and killed New York firefighters had served 17 years for killing his grandmother

WEBSTER, N.Y. — A former convict set a house and car ablaze in his lakeside New York state neighbourhood to lure firefighters then opened fire on them, killing two and engaging police in a shootout before killing himself while several homes burned. Authorities used an armoured vehicle to evacuate the area.

The gunman, William Spengler, had served more than 17 years in prison for beating his 92-year-old grandmother to death in 1980 at the house next to where Monday's attack happened, town Police Chief Gerald Pickering said. Spengler, 62, was paroled in 1998 and had led a quiet life since, authorities said. Convicted felons are not allowed to possess weapons.

Police say he set the fires to lure firefighters to his home and then opened fire from outdoors, probably with a rifle from atop an earthen berm.

"It does appear it was a trap," Pickering told a news conference. "These people get up in the middle of the night to go put out fires. They don't expect to be shot and killed."

Police didn't immediately know a motive. They said Spengler's 67-year-old sister, Cheryl Spengler, was unaccounted for. He lived in the house with his sister and mother, Arline, who died in October.

Two firefighters died at the scene, and two were hospitalized. A fifth man who was passing by was also injured.

Two of the firefighters arrived on a fire engine and two in their own vehicles, Pickering said. After the gunman fired, one of the wounded men managed to flee, but the other three couldn't because of flying gunfire.

A police armoured vehicle was used to recover two of the men, and eventually it evacuated 33 people from nearby homes, the police chief said.

The first Webster police officer who arrived chased Spengler and exchanged gunfire with him, authorities said.

The officer "in all likelihood saved many lives," Pickering said.

Seven houses were destroyed, Pickering said, and police have not been able to get inside them to determine if there are any more victims.

The dead men were identified as Police Lt. Michael Chiapperini, 43, the Webster Police Department's public information officer; and Tomasz Kaczowka, also an emergency dispatcher, whose age was not released.

Pickering described Chiapperini as a "lifetime firefighter" with nearly 20 years with the department, and called Kaczowka a "tremendous young man."

The two wounded firefighters, Joseph Hofsetter and Theodore Scardino, were in guarded condition, authorities said. Both were awake and alert and are expected to recover. Hofsetter was hit once in the pelvis, and the bullet lodged in his spine, authorities said. Scardino was hit in the chest and knee.

The neighbourhood is popular with recreational boaters but is normally quiet this time of year.

"We have very few calls for service in that location," Pickering said. "Webster is a tremendous community. We are a safe community, and to have a tragedy befall us like this is just horrendous."

Monroe County Sheriff Patrick O'Flynn lamented the violence, which comes on the heels of other shootings including the massacre of 20 students and six adults at a school in Newtown, Connecticut.

"It's sad to see that that this is becoming more commonplace in communities across the nation," O'Flynn said.

© Copyright (c)

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Four...#ixzz2G0WvOmSI

These guys put their lives on the line to put out fires and save civilians. RIP, can't imagine what the families are going through especially at this time of the year.

GLOW 12-24-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx703 (Post 8114913)
Why would they shoot the first responders though?

so the house continues to burn to the ground?

TheKingdom2000 12-24-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8114918)
so the house continues to burn to the ground?

Yeah, that seems logical. So extreme though. Fcuked up for sure.

kakucaekz 12-24-2012 12:37 PM

Sooooo messed up and tragic. People like him oughta be caged up and locked away forever. RIP to the 2 firefighters.

drunkrussian 12-24-2012 12:53 PM

rip and tragic

but people who are saying only in america - i hope for your sake you learn a bit more about the world (yes, there is a world outside of canada and the u.s) and some of the fucked up shit that goes on. You'll take back your "ONLY IN AMERICA" talks

_cd5 12-24-2012 12:54 PM

thats fcukd up..RIP

Manic! 12-24-2012 12:55 PM

Only if the tree's had guns.

:facepalm:

Hot Karl 12-24-2012 01:41 PM

Bring back cages for the dangerously mentally ill. Fill them up. Then dump them into the ocean.
Posted via RS Mobile

vantrip 12-24-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Karl (Post 8114958)
Bring back cages for the dangerously mentally ill. Fill them up. Then dump them into the ocean.
Posted via RS Mobile

I think half of America would be have to be locked up then :badpokerface:

StaxBundlez 12-24-2012 04:57 PM

why was he allowed to own guns after!?

MindBomber 12-24-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkrussian (Post 8114932)
rip and tragic

but people who are saying only in america - i hope for your sake you learn a bit more about the world (yes, there is a world outside of canada and the u.s) and some of the fucked up shit that goes on. You'll take back your "ONLY IN AMERICA" talks

A very valid point, but, although the, "only in America," sentiments do not explicitly state it, I think its generally understood the comparison is intended to be to other first and second world countries. Canada, Great Britian, Germany, France, Japan, and so on, have these instances occur at much lower rates.

Obviously, much more heinous instances of violence occur daily in third and fourth world countries, and we all know that (I hope).

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaxBundlez (Post 8115094)

He wasn't.

Yodamaster 12-24-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaxBundlez (Post 8115094)

What did you score on reading comprehension tests in HS?

nns 12-24-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boostslut (Post 8114838)
Seriously America, Fuck your guns.

I for one will never ever live in America.

I don't understand. Are you blaming their 2nd amendment? If so, I don't see how the 2 are connected. NY state, if I'm not mistaken, has one of toughest gun control laws of the country. "May issue" vs. "shall issue".

SupraTTturbo2jz 12-24-2012 05:51 PM

let america take themselves down. The rest of the world doesn't need their shit