REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Ebay Help

sorry, ive done a search but couldnt find my answer.
bought my brand new authentic HFP axle back on ebay on nov 20th and recieved it on Dec 9th. installed it the next day and up until last week i notice a slight rattle on cold start. i took the axleback apart and shook it and it sounded like rocks in the rear chamber of the muffler. Anyways i called a mechanic up and he told me its more likely that a tac weld or a baffle came loose. now what are my options? i already emailed the seller regarding this issue. axleback is still in mint condition. Would this be considered as a defective item and if i'll be able to send it back if its been used for 2 weeks?

Thanks
Advertisement
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

When you buy items on ebay it usually has a return policy on the item description. Check your records.
jerkstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Have you even tried asking the seller? Maybe start there... I've had lots of luck with returns on ebay. They aren't all scammers you know...

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #4

ive emailed the seller asking about their exchange policy. waiting for reply and in the mean time i want to know how other people have dealt with this situation and if their exchange due to a defective item was successful or not
Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,783 Times in 2,492 Posts
wait for the seller and see what's up & check out return policies. this is where things get shitty cuz it's installed. seller might say "was broken during installation" or "no returns after install". worst case is if you paid with credit card or paypal (even via credit card) you can probably use their purchase protection. credit cards are pretty good with them. never used paypal's but i heard horror stories with them. good luck.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
paypal horror stories are from sellers because ebay screws them
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #7

just received a reply from the seller.. this is what he said

"you have installed used it for over a month and now want to return it, i would ship you another but would like some payment for it"

this seller is counting the days that it was being "used" during shipping from november 20th (flordia) to December 9th (vancouver)... i have used it for exactly 16 days and up until last week it started rattling.. i did not have time to get it checked as holidays were coming up and i was really busy. What pisses me off is that he claims that i have been using it for over a month when he knows its not true. It doesnt seem like he would want to take it back for repair or exchange.. what could i do at this point?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
private modder

Thanked 2,606 Times in 732 Posts
Write back and show him a copy of the tracking form that shows when it delivered. Then show him a scan or photo of your installation receipt that shows the date it was installed.
Eff-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #9

i'm assuming you paid via paypal and/or credit card...if i were you i'd start talking to them (mostly your credit card company) and see what purchase protection they have. that way you know what your options are

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 12-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
I dont know about you guys but ive been using paypal for about 7 years and only good came from them except for their exchange rates of course..
Old 12-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I just won a dispute over an item I sold to a person from Ukraine. He lied and said item was defective when it was in working order when I shipped it.

Note: never do business with people in Ukraine. I would rather just stick with North America.
JunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-vtecyo View Post
just received a reply from the seller.. this is what he said

"you have installed used it for over a month and now want to return it, i would ship you another but would like some payment for it"

this seller is counting the days that it was being "used" during shipping from november 20th (flordia) to December 9th (vancouver)... i have used it for exactly 16 days and up until last week it started rattling.. i did not have time to get it checked as holidays were coming up and i was really busy. What pisses me off is that he claims that i have been using it for over a month when he knows its not true. It doesnt seem like he would want to take it back for repair or exchange.. what could i do at this point?
Honestly, you're really SOL. Used is used. And you're taking the word of your mechanic who hasn't even seen/heard the exhaust as you talked to him on the phone.

This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Open a paypal dispute right away.
You only have 45 days to open one. Just open one now. If you resolve the issue with the seller than you can just close the dispute. But, if you don't open the dispute you have no options at all.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

if you bring it up with paypal saying that its deffective paypal will most likely pay you. ive sold stuff through ebay and got screwed over by paypal because the buyer claimed my part was defective etc. im like 99% sure u can get your money back.
bbcbrbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #15
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,221 Times in 1,387 Posts
Yup, open a PayPal dispute. I've only opened two disputes because Chinese sellers always take 10 years to ship anything, and I've always received my money back. Give it a shot.
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #16

Or, don't be a douchebag and try to scam the system for a used item. If it was making noise right away you should have pulled it off immidiatley. 16 days on the car, and the product is used and non returnable IMO.

Does the sound go away when the muffler is warm? It could just be the way it is, I've had cans that make noise when cold and sound fine when warm.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #17

thanks for all the advice. The seller emailed me back and asked me what i think is fair for both of us. As for the rattling, the sound goes away after 20 seconds on cold start. Im 100 percent sure that authentic HFP would not manufacture a muffler with something loose inside.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:35 AM   #18
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,644 Times in 2,300 Posts
hey guys I have a question in regards to the return policy

On the item I plan on purchasing the seller wrote return is only 72 hours on the listing but on the actual ebay ad thing it says 14 days

I noticed a lot of add say 14 day but the seller would write a different day

Which one would it be?

Also if I private message someone on eBay and offer them something cheaper then the asking price and they accept how do I get them to charge me so I could get the ebay buyer protectionas well ?

I bought items on eBay before where I would make a private offer and the. They just PayPal me the bill but this time I plan on purchasing something that's quite pricey so hoping to get that ebay buyer protectionas well
Posted via RS Mobile
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #19
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

You get protection from Paypal, so you shouldn't need Ebay protection above and beyond that. They are one in the same anyways since Ebay owns Paypal. If the seller agrees, they could change their auction to 'buy it now or best offer' and accept your best offer, but really there is no real need.

As for the OP, you can file a Paypal dispute. The downside is that you will have to ship the item back to the seller, and then Paypal will reimburse what you paid after tracking confirms the item has been received by the seller. The downside is you are out the cost of return shipping, so you have to decide whether that cost and trouble/hassle is worth the 20 seconds of rattling on a cold start.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
hey guys I have a question in regards to the return policy

On the item I plan on purchasing the seller wrote return is only 72 hours on the listing but on the actual ebay ad thing it says 14 days

I noticed a lot of add say 14 day but the seller would write a different day

Which one would it be?

Also if I private message someone on eBay and offer them something cheaper then the asking price and they accept how do I get them to charge me so I could get the ebay buyer protectionas well ?

I bought items on eBay before where I would make a private offer and the. They just PayPal me the bill but this time I plan on purchasing something that's quite pricey so hoping to get that ebay buyer protectionas well
Posted via RS Mobile
return policy (if any, the seller doesn't have to accept returns) is what is specified in their listing. if the seller accepts your offer there's a few ways to do it. they can adjust the price accordingly, you bid and they end it with it sold to current highest bidder (you). end listing and relist as buy it now and make the listing available to be bid on by you only. i'm speaking from experiences from a few years back i doubt the site has changed much.

if you deviate from ebay and do it outside, you can't use their protection policies (not a bigger if you use paypal) and you can't leave negative feedback on the seller's account. if you do it just through paypal make sure you are invoiced properly and clearly states what you are buying, and not just some money transfer.

personally it's not a whole lot of work for the seller to relist as a private buy it now auction between you and him so might as well that way you can leave feedback...if you go just through paypal and shit hits the fan, don't bother talking to ebay, they won't give a shit as it has nothing to do with them.

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

This post thanked by: