REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #26
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

won't ICBC pay out the injuries/med bills?

I heard the owners skipped town. most likely something shady with the bus/business that will led to criminal negligence.
Advertisement
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #27
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
won't ICBC pay out the injuries/med bills?

I heard the owners skipped town. most likely something shady with the bus/business that will led to criminal negligence.
If vehicle insurance covered all medical bills, people wouldn't have to chase ICBC for things like Physio and the like. Also remember that those kinds of coverage would be optional for the bus lines. Why do you think your travel agent always tries to sell you separate medical insurance?
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #28
PRINCESS

most Korean/Asian agencies offer hella cheap tours
Which usually means that they don't have insurance
Iirc one of the more well known Korean agency always emphasizes on their ad how they are legally insured because most agencies aren't
kinda have a feeling Mi Joo most likely didn't since they're not that big.
Posted via RS Mobile
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #29
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Oregon Ford dealer offering free rides home to crash victims | News1130

Quote:
Originally Posted by News1130
Oregon Ford dealer offering free rides home to crash victims
Some passengers are too frightened to get on board a bus

LA GRANDE, OR (NEWS1130) – Some of the injured passengers aboard the Vancouver-based bus that crashed in northeastern Oregon have their passports and are ready to head back home.But some of them are too afraid to get back on a bus.

A car dealership located about 25 miles from the crash site is stepping up and offering free rides.

Chris Huxoll with Legacy Ford Lincoln in La Grande, Oregon, says staff at the dealership were shaken by what happened and wanted to help.

That’s why they decided to give back by supplying half a dozen sport utility vehicles complete with drivers.

“Obviously after you’ve been in a bus accident, we weren’t sure how they were going to get all those people back, and climbing on a bus wouldn’t be ideal for most of them, probably cause a traumatic situation for most of them,” explains Huxoll.

The company is working with the Red Cross to arrange the rides.

“We want to make sure we can help these people where they’re going and to use our fleet of cars and use our fleet of drivers to try and help these people get home in a safe fashion,” says Huxoll.

In the next few days, about half a dozen people will be making the trips northbound stopping in places all over Washington State and the Lower Mainland.

“We’re told some of them need to go to Lynnwood, Seattle, Tacoma and all the way up to Canada,” he adds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #30
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
^PR intentions aside, that's a very cool thing to do.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #31
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Bus company in fatal Oregon crash banned from U.S. - CNN.com
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #32
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts

Won't really matter. Their business is pretty much shot. All they gotta do is open up a new company under a different name/ relatives name.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #33
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
they're already facing lawsuits too
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #34
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Apparently the driver worked 100 hours during the 8 days of the trip.

My parents went to the Rockies with a similar Korean tour company in the summer...
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #35
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
I'm amazed that people aren't crying out for seat belts to be mandatory on buses, everybody knows that the roof of those might as well be made of tinfoil.

We have regulations up the ass on everything but something that has proven to be deadly almost every single time in the event of a rollover. I've always refrained from taking trips on those things if I could, they are incredibly dangerous.

It amazes me how a safety issue so obvious could be overlooked for all these years, we actually have something that we all can agree is hazardous, and yet, nothing has been done.

Last edited by Yodamaster; 01-08-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #36
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
I'm amazed that people aren't crying out for seat belts to be mandatory on buses, everybody knows that the roof of those might as well be made of tinfoil.
Becauses bus fatalities are rare. Last year there were 32,000 motor vehicle fatalities in the US, or about 88 per day. I couldn't find the bus figures for last year, but from 2000-2009 bus fatalities ranged from a low of 3 to a high of 60 deaths per year.

Even in a bad year, there are more people killed in cars in a single day than in buses for the entire year. Buses are extremely safe which is part of the reason these accidents make the news when they happen.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #37
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Becauses bus fatalities are rare. Last year there were 32,000 motor vehicle fatalities in the US, or about 88 per day. I couldn't find the bus figures for last year, but from 2000-2009 bus fatalities ranged from a low of 3 to a high of 60 deaths per year.

Even in a bad year, there are more people killed in cars in a single day than in buses for the entire year. Buses are extremely safe which is part of the reason these accidents make the news when they happen.
I can accept that in a bus vs car crash, bus wins. However, I find it hard to accept your statement of "buses are extremely safe" when buses don't have seat belts...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #38

^ Buses are extremely safe in that fatalities are low given the numbers of passengers they carry every year. Same with airplanes. But when a plane crashes it's also a big deal because it's a large loss of life in a single incident.

Why spend money on seat belts when they probably wouldn't make a difference anyway? So when the roof collapses you're held in place to make sure you get crushed? You could take an airplane and fill it with airbags, special seats and all sorts of equipment and if the plane crashes doing 500 MPH is it really going to make any difference?

It simply comes down to cost vs benefit.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #39

Quote:
^ Buses are extremely safe in that fatalities are low given the numbers of passengers they carry every year. Same with airplanes. But when a plane crashes it's also a big deal because it's a large loss of life in a single incident.

Why spend money on seat belts when they probably wouldn't make a difference anyway? So when the roof collapses you're held in place to make sure you get crushed? You could take an airplane and fill it with airbags, special seats and all sorts of equipment and if the plane crashes doing 500 MPH is it really going to make any difference?

It simply comes down to cost vs benefit.

Planes and buses are completely different, comparing the advantages of safety equipment between the two is simply not logical.

A simple lap belt could suffice in preventing injuries resulting from partial or full ejection from seats. I would rather be held in by a lap belt than be flung around the bus breaking limbs.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #40
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Whenever a bus flips ove death always seem inevitable...seat belts are cheap in the grand scheme of things...save some lives and your company's rep in accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Apparently the driver worked 100 hours during the 8 days of the trip.
There are laws against a certain limit of overtime hours for drivers in Canada/US right? Like ones where trans-continental semitruck drivers have to follow as well. I know in Asia they do pull crazy hours like that.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
Planes and buses are completely different, comparing the advantages of safety equipment between the two is simply not logical.

A simple lap belt could suffice in preventing injuries resulting from partial or full ejection from seats. I would rather be held in by a lap belt than be flung around the bus breaking limbs.
Buses and airplanes are directly comparable. They both have very low figures for deaths vs the number of passengers they carry (far safer than automobiles). They both achieve this figure by having a low accident rate and by the fact they carry a lot of passengers per trip.

It's simply not feasible or practical to spend billions on safety equipment that will have a very small impact on actual passenger safety.

This is the same as screaming about people having guns after some whacko goes on a killing spree. It's over-reacting. There's no need to increase safety on buses when they're already statistically very safe.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #42

Quote:
Buses and airplanes are directly comparable. They both have very low figures for deaths vs the number of passengers they carry (far safer than automobiles). They both achieve this figure by having a low accident rate and by the fact they carry a lot of passengers per trip.

It's simply not feasible or practical to spend billions on safety equipment that will have a very small impact on actual passenger safety.

This is the same as screaming about people having guns after some whacko goes on a killing spree. It's over-reacting. There's no need to increase safety on buses when they're already statistically very safe.
Buses don't cruise at five hundred miles per hour, thousands of feet in the air.

Point is, everybody benefits from a seat belt in an accident, no matter how you shake it. 100% of the people on every bus in America are subject to injuries because of the lack of seat belts.

So what you're saying is, even though I don't die on a bus, me flying around the cabin space is fine, because seat belts cost too much?

And your comparison between bus safety and gun rights is... interesting. But since you went there, I'll play along.

Adding seat belts to a bus is, if anything, equivalent to safeties on firearms. Both are expensive to include in the systems in question (in large numbers), and the lack of either can result in injury or death.

Even if it's more expensive to engineer a safety into a firearm, I want it to be done. The same sentiment goes for buses, I would rather be strapped in with a seat belt around my lap.

Last edited by Yodamaster; 01-09-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #43

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Maybe buses that do long distances, travelling at high speeds. Not these buses in the city where they already have the right of way. City buses are like MOVE BITCH, GET OUT THE WAY.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: