REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #26
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Definitely agree with the 3D comments. 3D was well implemented into the movie. Beautiful scenes and framing of the shots, many of them were wallpaper worthy shots.
Advertisement
mlworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #27
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Watched it last night, awesome movie!
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Good movie overall. Better than I expected with a good story plot as well. 9/10 for me
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #29
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
The movie is definitely IMAX worthy with the impressive graphics but I went in with high expectations because of it's high ratings and came out disappointed about everything other than the CG.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #30
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
I was expecting something meh-level at best, but wanted to see it because GDT's stuff is awesome.

And holy motherfucking fuck. I were happy. Allow me to repost what I put on facebook after I came out of the theatre:
Quote:
For anyone who was on the fence as far as seeing Pacific Rim, don't be. Fucking see it. It's like Evangelion meets Godzilla with a splash of Robot Jox in a live-action OVA that's been done well.

Guillermo del Toro, you're doing it right.
The key is managing expectations. Does it have the character development that you might expect form a serious drama? No. Does it have the amazing storytelling that something from we might expect from someone like Quentin Tarantino? No.

But is it a fucking awesomely done monster movie? Fuck yes.

The world itself is constructed really well--it's believable, it's got a really good internal logic, it's well drawn out, it's believable that there's more out there than what we've seen. The acting is a common complaint by a lot of people, and for me, that's kind of what I enjoyed about the movie. They delivered their lines (some of them very cheesy), followed their stereotypes, and walked through the Monster Movie Hall really really well. When it came to the character's names, I honestly (srsly) don't remember any of them except for the chick's. Instead, I remember:
-The broken hero
-The proud general
-The rebellious son
-The anchored yet regretful father
-The Russian badasses
-The wacky scientists

and so on and so forth.

All in all, it was a fun movie, and for being a fun movie it was a good movie. Would I say it's a good movie full stop? No. Would I recommend it to my mother? No. But if you like action, or monsters, or anime, or some brainless fun...then yes.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #31
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

was expecting a lot from crimson typhoon... disappointed. like wtf why have three arms and a gun but then [spoiler beep beep boo beep]

7seven: I really can't stand all these idiots who hit the gym now just because they watched 300 and want to be like a spartan. Case in point, this skinny guy comes into the gym the other day, must have only weighed ~ 140lbs, loads on 2 plates on the bench rack, mutters to himself, for sparta, unracks the barbell and proceeds to drop it directly on his chest.
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

watched it last night and LOVE IT! 3D is well worth the money for this movie. For those who havent seen it, dont go in there expecting a oscar award for best story. You kinda have to turn off your brains and just enjoy what it has to offer. like previous post stated, it is evangelion meets godzilla meets robot jox. its not so much gundam wing cuz the robots dont move like a ninja but its got a lot of action packed fighting and beautiful scenes that just makes you go "oooooohh"

Valour - i was also expecting a lot from crimson typhoon but was left disappointed. I was hoping he'd do some slice n dice martial arts move. The Russian team did show their potential. When i saw their fight scene i was hearing the song "eye of the tiger" in the back of my mind.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #33
The Lone Wanderator

As an aside, I'm looking forward to the Director's Cut--like the others said there's just so much potential for so much more ass-kicking awesomeness-ness. I seriously hope it gets at least another half hour of stuff that hit the cutting room floor.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #34
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts

"If Canada made a jaeger, this is what I would imagine it would be named"

"Unfortunately a kaiju would hit it in the head and it’d be out of commission for six months."
1989 BMW 525i
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2006 Mazda 3
2008 Jeep Liberty
2003 Infiniti G35
1995 Eagle Talon
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
1981 Pontiac Trans Am
1992 BMW 535i
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #35
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haymura View Post
watched it last night and LOVE IT! 3D is well worth the money for this movie. For those who havent seen it, dont go in there expecting a oscar award for best story. You kinda have to turn off your brains and just enjoy what it has to offer. like previous post stated, it is evangelion meets godzilla meets robot jox. its not so much gundam wing cuz the robots dont move like a ninja but its got a lot of action packed fighting and beautiful scenes that just makes you go "oooooohh"

Valour - i was also expecting a lot from crimson typhoon but was left disappointed. I was hoping he'd do some slice n dice martial arts move. The Russian team did show their potential. When i saw their fight scene i was hearing the song "eye of the tiger" in the back of my mind.
Agree, overall the movie is well done. Actions were awesome.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #36
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,177 Times in 621 Posts
Just came back from the theatres. Watched it in 3D.

Definitely worth the 3D, I imagine IMAX would be even better.
I'm not a fan of sci-fi action movies at ALL, but this movie did not disappoint.

A little bit of humour included here and there gets an 8/10 from me.
xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #37
Rs has made me the man i am today!

the special effects were awesome and the soundtrack was phenomenal. The music they played every time Gispy Danger came was awesome...I want it. lol
sil-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #38
The Lone Wanderator

This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #39
The Lone Wanderator

Can't stop with this movie. It was way too much fun. I think I might have to see it again.

If these are the featurettes, I can't wait to see the Bluray extra features and GDT's narration. Also, I can only imagine how GDT felt while directing this movie. Listening to what and how he says it, it's like he's seen every one of these live action movies and seen what's been done wrong. He's the fan's director.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #40
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Great movie. But, fuck Mako is one ugly broad. Couldn't they find a more likeable asian girl.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #41
Ebisu Boss

Damn her acting made me CRINGE!... the little girl version of Mako however was really good!
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #42
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Oh and why didn't they have better Melee weapons. It seems so obvious that would do way better damage than punching a monster in the face !

Scythe, Samurai Sword, Broad Sword, Battle Axe. That would've been sweet.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #43
Ebisu Boss

^
Spoiler!

But I guess that goes for a lot of these type of movies ...
Old 07-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #44
The Lone Wanderator

It was such an anime move, though. Honestly, that was one of my favourite parts. I was just like "holy shit, they pulled that from a million manga. I fucking love how meta this movie is."
Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #45
RS controls my life!

Watched this in 3D + D-Box. I dont think there will be a better movie more suited for D-Box seats than this! Such a awesome experience, it seriously felt like I was in the robot. Movie overall was better than I expected.
red_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #46
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Fuckin retarded movie IMO lol, yeah where the weaps at?! Fkin shit version of power rangers vs godzilla/oversized pokemons
Posted via RS Mobile
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #47
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
way better than i thought... if you take it as a kids movie, it's a super cool kids movie lol.
it even has character development.
Spoiler!
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #48
The Lone Wanderator

Old 08-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #49
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,165 Times in 2,401 Posts
Just got back from it in IMAX 3D, awesome movie. I had super high expectations of the effects and visuals and was not disappointed. I can't imagine any other way to see it than in IMAX 3D, if not at minimum regular 3D.

The climax had so many ideas/shots taken from Independence Day... Especially just before it happens the close up on the Kaiju's face.

Also can't believe the main dude was Lloyd from Undeclared.

Also Charlie Day
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #50
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Took my 7 year old to this today, IMAX 3d as well. We both enjoyed it, good movie.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote