REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

It takes 3 seconds to unlock an electronic safe. Another 3 seconds to unlock a combo trigger lock. 1 Second to put a loaded magazine into the pistol. That's less than 10 seconds to get yourself ready to use your gun.

Yes, you can technically have a loaded magazine next to your pistol, while both locked in a gun safe. The law states:

Quote:
6. An individual may store a restricted firearm only if

(a) it is unloaded;

(b) it is

(i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device and stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into, or

(ii) stored in a vault, safe or room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure storage of restricted firearms and that is kept securely locked; and

(c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in

(i) a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into, or

(ii) a vault, safe or room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure storage of restricted firearms and that is kept securely locked.
Meaning, if you have safe that's designed specifically for guns, you can put your unloaded pistol in there, with your ammo in the magazine next to it (but not IN the gun), and this would be considered "legal".

The charges by the crown prosecutor was bogus in that they were trying to make an example out of him, so to set a precedent for any other gun owners out there that may want to use guns for self-defense purposes.

Glad that he was acquitted, but 2.5 years of legal battle and a 60k legal bill are absolutely ridiculous for someone to have to go through, when all he did was trying to save his own life in the face of imminent danger.

Something is very wrong with our judicial system when you have to prove your innocence in court after defending your own life with legally owned guns , and the criminals only got 2~4 years for attempted murder. If he had been found guilty of the "careless use of firearms" charges, he would've gone to jail for at least a couple years.

Does that make ANY sense at all? Honestly.
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
l

Last edited by vitaminG; 05-16-2013 at 05:55 PM.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #28
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Canadian Law has got to be the biggest joke of our country.

Question,

Why does our government give rights to defend to law breakers when they chose NOT to live by law?
toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #29
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour43MA View Post
It takes 3 seconds to unlock an electronic safe. Another 3 seconds to unlock a combo trigger lock. 1 Second to put a loaded magazine into the pistol. That's less than 10 seconds to get yourself ready to use your gun.
7 seconds is way to long to be fumbling with a gun,especially if the crooks are already in your place.

I have no guns in my house,I don't even want any type of firearm on my property.I keep a few machetes and bear mace around the house just for stuff like this.

That is provided they get past my pets first.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #30
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounjour43MA
Just to note: it took Thompson 38 seconds to re-enact the process in court.

The crux of the case being timing, I don't think these charges should have been pursued.

Thompson's case is full of indiscrepancies, though.

I'd accept any bet the guns were unlocked, loaded, and stashed around the house; it's impossible to prove of course.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #31
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lungfish23 View Post
Same here

There's a saying: "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

If someone comes into my home and poses a threat to my family, I wouldn't hesitate.
Posted via RS Mobile
Thanks given to a saying I haven't heard in ages, LOL.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #32
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
Funny, though. If some RS member created a thread asking what to do about their neighbours chickens walking onto their backyard, I bet at least one of the first few posts would be about shooting them.

Now we know what the outcome would be.

You reading this apple guy?
Posted via RS Mobile
That's the ticket: he should be shooting the apples!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #33
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour43MA View Post
Don't forget though, unless you're military, law enforcement, or someone else with a lot of training and nerves of steel... shit is getting real, your adrenaline is pumping, and you're probably looking over your shoulder not knowing what's coming next; so you're probably fumbling to get the key into the key lock, possibly take a couple tries to insert some ammo in the gun (depending on the type of magazine)... in short, realistically you should at least double that time.

Quote:
Glad that he was acquitted, but 2.5 years of legal battle and a 60k legal bill are absolutely ridiculous for someone to have to go through, when all he did was trying to save his own life in the face of imminent danger.

Something is very wrong with our judicial system when you have to prove your innocence in court after defending your own life with legally owned guns , and the criminals only got 2~4 years for attempted murder. If he had been found guilty of the "careless use of firearms" charges, he would've gone to jail for at least a couple years.

Does that make ANY sense at all? Honestly.
If I was a gazillionaire, I'd love to set up some kind of fund to help defends these types of cases, where the law goes nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote