REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

GoPro type camera when riding a motorcycle

I just got one of these nifty things for xmas. But I'm curious. I've seen plenty of helmet cam footage on the internet and thought it would be cool to record some of the rides I do. Now I'm by no means stupid on a motorcycle as I am one of the people who has to scrape others off the pavement from time to time.. But if i were caught speeding even a little would the LEO have grounds to confiscate the camera or memory card for evidence?

Cheers
Advertisement
Canadian Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
It would depend on what had happened. If you were going to be charged with some sort of serious offence then a warrant could be obtained to seize evidence. I seem to remember a recent case where the sky diver instructor who had a client die in a crash, swallowed the memory card from his Go-Pro. They arrested him and waited till the evidence "appeared". Question you might want to ask yourself before recording your ride. Do I really want what I am about to do, to be available for public viewing in the future, possibly being used against me in court? If the tree falls in the forest when nobody is around, it may make no noise...but if a camera and a microphone records the fall, a jury may hear the noise...if you know what I mean.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #3

Yeah fair enough. I figured that would be the answer and that's fair. But say if I were caught for speeding (for speeds under the +40 impound law) would you think the average LEO would see the need to obtain the card?
I mean I'm not too worried about it. Like I said I'm by no means stupid on the bike. I generally stick around the speed limit. It would just be more of a hassle then anything.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
If you got stopped for speeding in the first place, he didn't need to see your video to proceed with a charge. They must have had the grounds to have done so. You got stopped for speeding....not for having a very small Go Pro somewhere on your bike/helmet etc.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #5

Ok that makes sense. And puts my mind at ease! Thanks!