REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
I STILL don't get it

Don Cherry suggests Canada's $49.5M Haiti aid is 'nuts'

Don Cherry suggests Canada's $49.5M Haiti aid is 'nuts' - Montreal - CBC News

Don Cherry tweets about the millions in Canadian aid to Haiti: 'Are we nuts?':

Don Cherry‏@CoachsCornerCBC

You know , I am one of those guys, like most people in Canada, we like to help the countries all over the world. But sometimes it makes you wonder.

Maybe it’s just me. But Canada gave Haiti 49.5 million dollars last year . Are we nuts? We’ve got a guy dying in Toronto waiting 3 hours for an ambulance.

We got people waiting 7, 8 10 hours, if they’re lucky in a waiting room with one doctor for a zillion people.

We nickel and dime our doctors, nurses and veterans plus a million other services. Yet we can send almost 50 million to Haiti.

I’ll tell ya something. The working guy is getting kind of sick of people spending money like that.

It’s a good job we got a good guy like Julian Fantino, with a little common sense, in charge. 50 million, I wonder how much have we given them over the years? Lets smarten up.

Agree or disagree? I know where I stand.
Advertisement
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Cherry is an idiot. You are supposed to help when someones i need. Sri Lanka donated money to the US help with hurricane Katrina.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
agree and disagree, world isnt perfect
Posted via RS Mobile
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
A line must be drawn somewhere.

Everyone in the world needs money. If we helped everyone in their time of need, we would be broke.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Always agree with Cherry, this time no different
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Wasn't there another natural disaster shortly after Haiti? And didn't it get a lot less aid/exposure?

As long as we have a budget for how much money we give away, I'm cool with it. I rather give the money to someone who is less fortunate half way around the world than to have the surplus and have a bullshit govt. union wanting a piece of it.

It's a fine line though. I wouldn't want to be in charge of distribution of aid, too much to think about.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
In reference to the #idlenomore movement, why aren't Natives protesting this money being sent from out of Canada to help non-Natives?
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with what Don Cherry said.

Our health care system is crumbling; forget the ER, you can't even find a bloody family doctor. Everyone is been told to go to a clinic where you sit around for 3 hours and the doctor you see has no clue about your past medical history.

The other issue I have with sending millions of dollars to countries like Haiti is the corrupt governments that take the aid money and basically pocket it. There's never any accountability even though you have so called third party organizations monitoring the money. We should be more concerned about our citizens, we've helped enough now it's time to focus on what we need at home.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,141 Times in 7,148 Posts
I am very proud of Canadas effort to help other countries in times of need, but he has a point. Fixing the issues in your own country should always be the #1 priority of any government, however, compassion and aid for your fellow man should not be forgotten in the process. This statement really only looks into a tremendously small portion of the money spent by Canada. When you look at it from a small window like cherry did, its easy to come up with that sentiment. When you look at it as the whole picture, and the amount of money that Canada spends on protecting its own citizens, it may seem like more of a drop in the bucket. Its all perspective. For me personally, I'm happy that Canada puts money into compassionate causes like this, but I can see the other side of it, and he is right about the fact that our healthcare system is really lacking. However I think if we were to look at the budgets here we'd probably see $50M wouldn't be able to solve all that much for us, when it could be so much more beneficial to a country that was so desperately in need. Was it too much though, its very possible, but I know for sure they have a lot of people watching over the proper use of a sum of money that large.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I have no issue with sending food, water and building supplies but we need to stop sending blank checks.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Cherry is an idiot. You are supposed to help when someones i need. Sri Lanka donated money to the US help with hurricane Katrina.
As an individual, personally seeing a troubled man/woman on the street, yes.

As a country with it's own problems to deal with first and foremost, no.

I'm not saying that I hate that our government helps others during times of grief, but sometimes some of that money spent outside of the country very well could be needed inside the country. Don speaks the truth about the state of our health care system, it needs help, so that people can get help.. you know.. before they die of waiting around.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,283 Times in 270 Posts
i admit, i don't know what's going on in haiti, but 49.5 mil isn't a lot for a country. i'm not saying we should be giving more. i just want to know what they're getting it for
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor View Post
organge7 has spoken, and we have done the opposite. yay!
urrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #13

I'm not usually a fan of the guy, but good on Cherry for putting some focus on this.
4doorVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
Need to Seek Professional Help

is his issue the Canadian Government giving money or the Canadian public giving money?
Maybe I missed it in the article but wasn't really clear?

Either way he's an idiot. Put him in a disaster ravaged country and see how fast he will be asking other countries for help.
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Wow. Some of you dudes are nuts.

Look, I dig that everyone and anyone can bitch about anything....but seriously, to call our healthcare system 'crumbling' and bitch about line-up while we live in a country where you pay a few dimes a day for that luxury is silly. You want to know why you are waiting so long for a doctor?? Because when idiots get a fucking cough, they run for help. Do you know how many people sit in the ER or clinics to be told to go home, take an advil, drink fluids, and rest?!

Do you know what is happening in Haiti? People are lying in the streets dying a slow and painful death from cholera and dysentery. Pretty sure they would be OK with waiting 3 hours for the bottle of pills they need.

45 million is nothing to the gov't....we in BC are spending 150 million to make our card cards prettier. There are any number of things I curse the provincial and federal gov't for spending my tax dollars on...we all would like out nurses, teachers, service men and women to make more money.

The one thing I DO NOT curse my gov't for...is sending aid to other countries who NEED it.

Last edited by dinosaur; 01-08-2013 at 03:15 PM.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
Need my Daily Fix of RS

You treat others the way you'd want to be treated. Think that goes the same for countries and their relationships. 49.5M isn't actually a LOT, it's quite a fair amount but nothing that is a cause for concern

P.S. People need to realize, Don Cherry = bullshit-coming-out-of-his-mouth marathon
theevilslave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #17

hopefully none of that money went to wyclef jeans foundation
Wyclef Jean's Haiti charity a 'cesspool of fraud and broken promises' that has collapsed under mountain of debt | Mail Online
4doorVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #18
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
As an individual, personally seeing a troubled man/woman on the street, yes.

As a country with it's own problems to deal with first and foremost, no.

I'm not saying that I hate that our government helps others during times of grief, but sometimes some of that money spent outside of the country very well could be needed inside the country. Don speaks the truth about the state of our health care system, it needs help, so that people can get help.. you know.. before they die of waiting around.
49.5 mill is not a whole lot. How much are we paying Don Cherry? There is no country without problems so under your logic no country should donate money. We didn't have to help Britain and the rest of Europe in WWII but we did and that benefited us greatly.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #19
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
as long as it isnt those filipino women asking me to donate money

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #20
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Wow. Some of you dudes are nuts.

Look, I dig that everyone and anyone can bitch about anything....but seriously, to call our healthcare system 'crumbling' and bitch about line-up while we live in a country where you pay a few dimes a day for that luxury is silly. You want to know why you are waiting so long for a doctor?? Because when idiots get a fucking cough, they run for help. Do you know how many people sit in the ER or clinics to be told to go home, take an advil, drink fluids, and rest?!

Do you know what is happening in Haiti? People are lying in the streets dying a slow and painful death from cholera and dysentery. Pretty sure they would be OK with waiting 3 hours for the bottle of pills they need.

45 million is nothing to the gov't....we in BC are spending 150 million to make our card cards prettier. There are any number of things I curse the provincial and federal gov't for spending my tax dollars on...we all would like out nurses, teachers, service men and women to make more money.

The one thing I DO NOT curse my gov't for...is sending aid to other countries who NEED it.
Send medicine and aid workers than, not cash

by the time cash actually reaches the people who need it, how much is left of the 45 million?

I know Haiti is basically a crippled 3rd world country that needs as much help as it can get, but I love all these people in the states after natural disasters etc who are on the news saying the government is failing them, they need aid money, etc. Then they have all the ad's "text 8888 to donate $5 to katrina victims"

Straight up, if there is ever a huge earth quake or natural disaster that hits BC, i guaranfuckingtee i'm not gonna be standing on the news begging for money and aid and people to text a number to donate money, you know what i'm going to be doing?

I'm going to be swinging a hammer, pushing a shovel, rebuilding MY house, rebuilding MY friends houses, WORKING

not fucking begging for aid, people need to try and help themselves sometimes.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #21
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
In reference to the #idlenomore movement, why aren't Natives protesting this money being sent from out of Canada to help non-Natives?
You'll need to clarify; is this an actual question, or are you merely being facetious?

The 'Idle No More' movement, nor any other respected First Nations movement, believes Federal discretionary spending should be monopolized by the interests for which they advocate. If any First Nations group were advocate such, they would be contradicting values integral to the culture they pretend to support. Through the First Nations equivalent of Fairy Tales, children are taught early on to not acquire more than is necessary to sustain oneself in reasonable comfort, and to support those less fortunate.

Addressing the subject of the thread briefly;

I am PROUD to know, I am a member of a nation that recognizes the need to support those in times of desperate need. Haiti was one of the poorest nations on Earth prior to the earthquake, and recovering from the devastation would be nearly impossible without outside support.

$49.5 million balances out to approximately, $2 per tax payer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
I don't see anything wrong with what Don Cherry said.

Our health care system is crumbling; forget the ER, you can't even find a bloody family doctor. Everyone is been told to go to a clinic where you sit around for 3 hours and the doctor you see has no clue about your past medical history.

The other issue I have with sending millions of dollars to countries like Haiti is the corrupt governments that take the aid money and basically pocket it. There's never any accountability even though you have so called third party organizations monitoring the money. We should be more concerned about our citizens, we've helped enough now it's time to focus on what we need at home.
Our health care system is crumbling? How about, no. Our health care system is amazing, we're just all too entitled to realize it.

2-3 hours to see a family doctor is unfortunate, but you're forgetting one or two very important details.

Greater Vancouver has a high population density, and as a result of immigration a disproportionately old population, and with those strains on the health care system you can only expect longer waits. I have a friend living in Mission, who gleefully points out she rarely waits more than 10 minutes to see a Doctor whenever this discussion has arisen in her presence.

There's also a significant shortage of Doctors becoming General Practitioners, but not because of funding, because of a lack of interest in the field.

Last edited by MindBomber; 01-08-2013 at 05:07 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #22
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Send medicine and aid workers than, not cash

by the time cash actually reaches the people who need it, how much is left of the 45 million?

I know Haiti is basically a crippled 3rd world country that needs as much help as it can get, but I love all these people in the states after natural disasters etc who are on the news saying the government is failing them, they need aid money, etc. Then they have all the ad's "text 8888 to donate $5 to katrina victims"

Straight up, if there is ever a huge earth quake or natural disaster that hits BC, i guaranfuckingtee i'm not gonna be standing on the news begging for money and aid and people to text a number to donate money, you know what i'm going to be doing?

I'm going to be swinging a hammer, pushing a shovel, rebuilding MY house, rebuilding MY friends houses, WORKING

not fucking begging for aid, people need to try and help themselves sometimes.
Yeah, and why wouldn't you be begging for aid? Because most of us have insurance and live in a developed country where we can go to our garage and get our fucking hammer. You can not compare a natural disaster in a underdeveloped country to one in a developed country! These people were barely living to begin with before the earth took a shit on them. Come on, dude.

And, don't get me started with this Katrina and superstorm Sandy bullshit. At least they are only asking their own citizens to help them...a developed country can take care of its own...much like I would expect Canada to do. But, Haiti is a different story. Those people actually need the help of others.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #23
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Agree with Don! We have to take care of things at home before helping others.
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #24
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Knee jerk reaction is to say that we should use that money to look after ourselves. However, when you really think about it, the government spends roughly $180 billion every year on health care. If you consider that the average person costs $5400/year for health care, that $50 million we're giving to Haiti is literally a drop in the bucket. We're giving the equivalent of 9 Canadian's yearly payments away to another country.

Whoop de doo.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #25
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

^ that $50 million goes a long way in 3rd world countries.
given that the cost of living for most of these places are less than a $1 a day, $50 million can have a huge impact. Where $50 million to canada is just a drop in the bucket.

Plus, other western countries also donated to Haiti too, not just us.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote