REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Tourist attractions in Victoria (https://www.revscene.net/forums/678984-tourist-attractions-victoria.html)

JulyZerg 01-10-2013 01:50 PM

Tourist attractions in Victoria

Planning a trip to Victoria and was wondering what kind of things is there to do and see?

The only time I've been to Victoria is in grade 6 lol is the wax museum still worth visiting?

Thx
Posted via RS Mobile

Presto 01-10-2013 01:54 PM

wax museum is gone!

Boostslut 01-10-2013 03:15 PM

Do they have google on Zerg?

Excelsis 01-10-2013 03:16 PM

Butchard garden

rated one of the top parks in the world

roastpuff 01-10-2013 04:18 PM

also, afternoon tea at the empress hotel! Definitely worth it.
Posted via RS Mobile

dinosaur 01-10-2013 04:45 PM

you MUST go to the RBCM!

And if you need a place to eat: Ferris' Oyster Bar & Grill It my fav place in the whole city!

Also, miniature world is kinda cool and China Town (Fan Tan Alley).

gars 01-10-2013 04:48 PM

Red Fish Blue Fish is pretty good if you're around the harbour and looking for places to eat. Depends on when you're going though, looks like they don't open again till Feb.

Great68 01-10-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 8129036)
Red Fish Blue Fish is pretty good if you're around the harbour and looking for places to eat. Depends on when you're going though, looks like they don't open again till Feb.

Just be prepared to wait standing in line for an hour.

murd0c 01-10-2013 06:38 PM

Butterfly gardens is great

Butterfly Gardens - Home

as well you can take tours around haunted houses in the area which is fun as well.

RS_Pat 01-10-2013 08:07 PM

I usually enjoy visiting Miniature World (worth to check out at least once) and just walking around downtown and around the harbour. Butchart Gardens isn't really gonna look great now compared to summer time.

LP700-4 01-10-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha v2 (Post 8128960)
Butchard garden

This was freakin expensive to go to just to see flowers. IIRC i went 2-3 years ago and it was almost 30 bucks a person.

ImportPsycho 01-10-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha v2 (Post 8128960)
Butchard garden

probably only in spring/summer

Excelsis 01-10-2013 08:28 PM

all season

DragonChi 01-10-2013 08:39 PM

Sometimes UVic astronomy faculty has open houses for their observatory.
That's fun.

There's a bird sancuary just past langford.

If you drive about 3 hours west, you can try the Juan de Fuca trail.

Wednesdays at 4:20, the 420 club celebrates in the quad at UVic.

Uptown mall got renovated like 2-3 years ago. Some of the shops there are nice.

Salmon run in goldstream if you're there during the right time of year.
http://www.goldstreampark.com/salmon.htm

I agree the museum is worth going to.

During the summer :
Parade - The Oak Bay Tea Party

and

JumpShip 2012 | Dirt Jumps on a Barge in Victoria, BC

ImportPsycho 01-10-2013 10:09 PM

nothing but boring stuff
not worth the ferry fare

bcrdukes 01-10-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 8129011)
also, afternoon tea at the empress hotel! Definitely worth it.
Posted via RS Mobile

jmvdesign 01-10-2013 10:18 PM

only go to the Island and visit Victoria/Nanaimo/Long Beach and Tofino all in one trip. Otherwise, the ferry fare isn't worth it just for Victoria.

j.f0ng 01-10-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 8129036)

Oh my lawd I love red fish blue fish :sweetjesus::megusta: ..Too bad they're closed until Feb. :okay:

But as others have said, there really isn't much to do here, especially around this time of the year when its cold as fuck. The parliament building/downtown, royal BC museum, underwater garden if you're into fish and all that underwater stuff are the only touristy places I can think of off the top of my head. Chinatown is ridiculous in my opinion. It literally looks like a movie set. My friend calls it stereotype town..but it is a neat little street though. As DragonChi said, uptown is a nice place, but there are only a few clothing stores, a walmart, bestbuy, futureshop, shoppers drugmart, and a few other stores there.
If you do happen to stop by downtown and your sweet tooth kicks in, go to this little waffle place called Wannawafel | Victoria BC | Real Belgian Waffels on Johnson street.. pick the kind of waffle you want and the toppings you want on it. I freaking love this place. :sweetjesus:

DragonChi 01-11-2013 03:35 AM

There's also symphony on the water, in the harbour during the summer.

StylinRed 01-11-2013 03:43 AM

you have to head to the royal bc museum i love that place :D

FerrariEnzo 01-11-2013 04:36 AM

hmmm.. if in the summer or warmer weather, I would suggest camping... heard its great for camping

Great68 01-11-2013 06:51 AM

If you like pubs, check out the Bard & Banker and Swans, two of my favourites. Live music every weekend (Swans has music every night).

Drive up mount douglas for a good view of the city. Cruising around Beach drive is pretty scenic as well.

Another one is Fort Rodd Hill out in Colwood, it's a historic artillery fort.

Everyone has mentioned the Museum, which is really popular. It got even better recently when they did recent upgrades which allows them to get more high end & sensitive exhibits.

SkinnyPupp 01-11-2013 06:58 AM

Some of my favourite childhood memories are from the museum... it got me interested in things I am still interested in today, everything from wildlife, to native art and history, and of course cultural history itself

But I'm not sure if it would be as interesting without the nostalgia

TouringTeg 01-11-2013 07:50 AM

If you like walking/hiking then there are lots of options not far from town. Mt Work, Mt Finlayson for hiking. Easy walking trails are at Goldstream, Whittys Lagoon, French Beach (Juan de fuca Trail). The view from Mt Tolmie and Mt Doug are great. Doing a drive along Dallas Rd/Beach Drive is also very scenic. Some people rent scooters to zip around on and take in the sights.

Agree that Fort Rodd Hill is neat to go to. Right nearby is Esquimalt Lagoon and Royal Roads University (Where Xmen movies were filmed)

Check here for more activities in Victoria.

Activities

punkwax 01-11-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8129515)
If you like pubs, check out the Bard & Banker and Swans, two of my favourites. Live music every weekend (Swans has music every night).

Drive up mount douglas for a good view of the city. Cruising around Beach drive is pretty scenic as well.

Another one is Fort Rodd Hill out in Colwood, it's a historic artillery fort.

Everyone has mentioned the Museum, which is really popular. It got even better recently when they did recent upgrades which allows them to get more high end & sensitive exhibits.

+1 for Bard & Banker. Awesome place to have a few!