REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   fire extinguisher (https://www.revscene.net/forums/679146-fire-extinguisher.html)

stewie 01-14-2013 09:49 AM

fire extinguisher

posting for a friend.

she works in a small office, maybe 15 other women work there doing desk work etc. they've just got the one open are to work, a kitchen and a bathroom there.

her boss took down the fire extinguishers off the walls because she thinks they're to "tacky" looking and dont go with the pictures on the walls. my friend wants to know if thats even legal and safe? do they have to be on the wall in certain spots designated by a fire inspector or something?

zulutango 01-14-2013 10:52 AM

Call the "hose monkeys" and see if they have an opinion. They are the ones who do inspections for compliance. Not a Police area of any expertise...unless we come to investigate an arson :)

snails 01-14-2013 10:57 AM

legally there has to be a fire extinguisher at designated places i forget if it was based on size or amount of people in the area, i learned about it long ago, we regularly have fire department come to the dealership and they can give out fines if we have clutter in front of one of the escapes, even if its not blocking it, same with fire extinguishers if they are out or expired we get fines... so i imagine not being there at all is worse then being expired

koukimonst3r 01-14-2013 11:39 AM

As per NFPA 10, there has to be one every 75ft. It doesn't necessarily have to be mounted up high, 6 inches is the minimum height I believe from the ground to the bottom of the fire extinguisher. If you have anymore questions let me know, I'm a RFPT.
Posted via RS Mobile

wing_woo 01-14-2013 11:41 AM

I don't what the regs are but the number of fire extinguishes must meet a number based on the size of the office. Additionally, they have to be placed in certain areas so they have enough to cover those areas and they must be in a highly visible and accessible area.

Just saw the post above. yeah, that's what I meant, spaced a certain distance apart.

koukimonst3r 01-14-2013 11:46 AM

Here's more info: How to Mount a NFPA 10 Fire Extinguisher | eHow.com
Posted via RS Mobile

Graeme S 01-14-2013 12:27 PM

Sounds like someone may need to anonymously request an unofficial inspection from the nearest fire detachment.

sebberry 01-15-2013 10:29 PM

People know how to use fire extinguishers? We had a "smoke situation" in my building not long ago and one of the residents had to ask the 911 operator how to pull the fire alarm...

GLOW 01-16-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 8133640)
People know how to use fire extinguishers? We had a "smoke situation" in my building not long ago and one of the residents had to ask the 911 operator how to pull the fire alarm...

:derp: :facepalm:

Phil@rise 01-16-2013 01:18 PM

tell the boss to smarten up! paintings dont save lives tacky fire extinguishers do!
I've got three in my shop. One in the office two in the back

Soundy 01-20-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 8133640)

Ah, another future Darwin Award recipient!