REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 01-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
so ICBC is about to bend me over! :D ... :(

4-5 months ago

so long story short, was merging on the hwy and i bumped a lady while shoulder checking and she decided to stop (had her own merging lane, no reason to stop), the accident maybe happened at 3-4 km/h very minimal damage, a scuff from my hood on her bumper (04-05 crv?) no scratches, crackes, anything really on her part, i replaced a cracked corner lens and bumper lens and wiped the scuff off my hood with a rag and good as new.

kk, so after assessing the damage i told her i would come over the next day and polish it out and if she still isnt happy we could make a claim, she agreed "i detailed for years" the next morning at 9am i get a call from the body shop she brought her car to and the guy says hes an icbc shop blah blah blah asks me if i want to settle outside icbc and estimates me at $1600.. for the damage i thought that was crazy then he started telling me they have to give her a new spare wheel... cuz i scratched it and the list goes on, so i told him to let this go through icbc and i could figure out if i wanted to pay them back or let my rates go up... once the claim was made with icbc i admitted 100% guilt cuz whats there to fight, i hit her and im starting to feel that the shop took advantage of the situation knowing that this would be covered also the guy at the shop told me he knows the lady and her son that brought the vehicle in.. is that a conflict of interest?

fast forward to yesterday

i called icbc to get the quote on how much it would be to fix.. the shop pretty much replaced the back of her car, they gave her a new tail light, spare wheel, bumper, everything under the bumper and even some stuff in the cargo area.. the shop completely took advantage and the bill comes to approx $3,000... the bumper wasnt bent out of shape, nothing was twisted or popped off and the spare wheel sits a 8"- a foot above my hood so i instantly put the quoted bill into dispute

does anyone know what will happen next? if i dont pay the shops bill my rates go thru the roof costing me closer to 5g over the next 3 years, and i dont wanna pay for her to get a new wheel, tail light and what ever the shop cleared without need..

Advertisement

Last edited by snails; 01-17-2013 at 10:02 AM.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

A very common issue with the cr-v and the spare wheel on the back is, when they get hit from behind the wheel takes the force of the impact, the spare tire is connected to he spare tire carrier, which is bolted to the tailgate. What happens is the spare tire carrier dents the crap out of the tailgate with little to no impact. Also if its a base model cr-v the bumper and lower molding are textured black and shops usually just replace instead of painting.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
4-5 months ago

so long story short, was merging on the hwy and i bumped a lady while shoulder checking and she decided to stop (had her own merging lane, no reason to stop), the accident maybe happened at 3-4 km/h very minimal damage, a scuff from my hood on her bumper (04-05 crv?) no scratches, crackes, anything really on her part, i replaced a cracked corner lens and bumper lens and wiped the scuff off my hood with a rag and good as new.

kk, so after assessing the damage i told her i would come over the next day and polish it out and if she still isnt happy we could make a claim, she agreed "i detailed for years" the next morning at 9am i get a call from the body shop she brought her car to and the guy says hes an icbc shop blah blah blah asks me if i want to settle outside icbc and estimates me at $1600.. for the damage i thought that was crazy then he started telling me they have to give her a new spare wheel... cuz i scratched it and the list goes on, so i told him to let this go through icbc and i could figure out if i wanted to pay them back or let my rates go up... once the claim was made with icbc i admitted 100% guilt cuz whats there to fight, i hit her and im starting to feel that the shop took advantage of the situation knowing that this would be covered also the guy at the shop told me he knows the lady and her son that brought the vehicle in.. is that a conflict of interest?

i called icbc to get the quote on how much it would be to fix.. the shop pretty much replaced the back of her car, they gave her a new tail light, spare wheel, bumper, everything under the bumper and even some stuff in the cargo area.. the shop completely took advantage and the bill comes to approx $3,000... the bumper wasnt bent out of shape, nothing was twisted or popped off and the spare wheel sits a 8"- a foot above my hood so i instantly put the quoted bill into dispute

does anyone know what will happen next? if i dont pay the shops bill my rates go thru the roof costing me closer to 5g over the next 3 years, and i dont wanna pay for her to get a new wheel, tail light and what ever the shop cleared without need..

how many accidents have you gotten into, to have your rates so high?
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #4

i got into one like 3 years ago, but rates didnt go up till like a year ago, was a new driver and removable steering wheels are a bad idea "came on car i bought" and this one, so 2 accidents within 3 years = 205+

so insurance for an 89 civic will be 4-500 a month..
Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
i got into one like 3 years ago, but rates didnt go up till like a year ago, was a new driver and removable steering wheels are a bad idea "came on car i bought" and this one, so 2 accidents within 3 years = 205+

so insurance for an 89 civic will be 4-500 a month..
I have been in a couple of accidents within the last couple years, but I was already at 30% d/c. Are you a relatively new driver?

In the end, it isn't ICBC that is screwing you. You rear ended someone.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
I have been in a couple of accidents within the last couple years, but I was already at 30% d/c. Are you a relatively new driver?

In the end, it isn't ICBC that is screwing you. You rear ended someone.

in the end yes i did, and thats why i didnt kick, scream or complain, called in and claimed 100% no arguing, but once i feel a shop took advantage iof the situation and icbc clears it then yes, i do feel a little screwed, i know what shops will do when they are having a slow month.. pretty much anything to make money.. even if it is to exadurate damage knowing that icbc will pay them
Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
NNT
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

ICBC estimated the damage and approve the work before the body shop start fixing the car. 3K may sound unreal but if ICBC approved it there must be a reason for it. nothing much you can do now except paying for it
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNT View Post
ICBC estimated the damage and approve the work before the body shop start fixing the car. 3K may sound unreal but if ICBC approved it there must be a reason for it. nothing much you can do now except paying for it
that said, pre existing damage could have been there... also i started a dispute, anyone know what the dispute process will be?!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You can get the quote from the shop. The best is to call the adjustor who is in charge of the case ASAP. Once the work order from the shop goes in to ICBC, there isn't much you can do. They are also supposed to have photos etc.

A lot of the kinetic energy get pass from the bumper to the bumper shocks etc. If it is on a highway, why would it be 3-4kph?

You do realise not matter the shop charges $100 or $100k, your insurance rate still go up the same amount regardless.

Quote:
in the end yes i did, and thats why i didnt kick, scream or complain, called in and claimed 100% no arguing, but once i feel a shop took advantage iof the situation and icbc clears it then yes, i do feel a little screwed, i know what shops will do when they are having a slow month.. pretty much anything to make money.. even if it is to exadurate damage knowing that icbc will pay them

Last edited by godwin; 01-17-2013 at 02:34 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
You do realise not matter the shop charges $100 or $100k, your insurance rate still go up the same amount regardless right?

"4-5 months ago

does anyone know what will happen next? if i dont pay the shops bill my rates go thru the roof costing me closer to 5g over the next 3 years, and i dont wanna pay for her to get a new wheel, tail light and what ever the shop cleared without need.. "

read? im aware and that why i rather pay it back
Old 01-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

that sucks! I've been through my fair share of icbc and it's never a easy feeling eh. Goodluck!
beproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beproud View Post
that sucks! I've been through my fair share of icbc and it's never a easy feeling eh. Goodluck!
to be honest, i dont really have a problem with icbc, never had, but 3g for this is absolutely ridiculous, and my problem is more with the shop cuz i know they milked this i would even be happy if the bill was 2g.. still seems high but replacing a tail light.. fck that
Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Didn't ICBC change their policy that an adjuster HAS to go physically approve the work before a shop can start on it?

So a shop can't "milk" the system, because the adjuster would have to have seen the damage.

Unless the guy at the shop took a hammer to it or something..
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
I have no advice for you,

thus I will proceed to ridicule you for getting into an accident
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Didn't ICBC change their policy that an adjuster HAS to go physically approve the work before a shop can start on it?

So a shop can't "milk" the system, because the adjuster would have to have seen the damage.

Unless the guy at the shop took a hammer to it or something..
No, this is not true.

I was rear ended a month ago and after describing the situation to the adjuster, he gave me a ICBC express claim number. I just went to a body shop and it was pre-approved. Mind you, it was pretty clear the other person was 100% at fault. She hadn't even called in though, so I was pretty surprised they pre-approved my claim.

Last edited by heleu; 01-17-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Added time.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
No, this is not true.

I was rear ended a month ago and after describing the situation to the adjuster, he gave me a ICBC express claim number. I just went to a body shop and it was pre-approved. Mind you, it was pretty clear the other person was 100% at fault. She hadn't even called in though, so I was pretty surprised they pre-approved my claim.

this ^^

her car was in a shop getting fixed less then 15 hours after the accedent, i hadnt even spoken to icbc yet cuz wwe had agreed that i would try to clean up the scuff first, its was 8:30-9 am the next day that the shop ha it in, the shop gave me there estimate and the lady was in a loner car... seems to me that because i was 100% fault pretty much instantly that the shop went ahead telling the adjuster everything needed to be replaced... i mean serious.. a fcking tail light..
Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #17

Maybe a redundant question, but if you had to replace corner lights, the assumption is the point of contact was relatively low.

Old CRV's have very high taillights, and unless you hit her spare tire rack, there's no way the taillight would have cracked.

Of course, if you HAD hit the spare tire assembly, damage would have been far more extensive.

I think the reason you're getting flak on here is because your entire argument is based on what YOU think her damage is/was. So you think you're getting screwed.

It's good that you filed a complaint, now you should ask for evidence to why it cost $3000 (invoice, etc), and try to prove to them that that is unreasonable and that there may be a conflict of interest involved.

Assuming you did all this already, I'm not entirely sure what more you want RS to answer...=/
Old 01-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #18

my right corner hit her left corner, her tire rack is a 8-12 inches above my hood and on the right of her vehicle.

and the question to rs if anyone has every gone thru the process of disputing stuff like this

not sure how many people have seen my car but its a slammed ef, the hiid goes maybe to my knee cap and im not very tall, the spare wheel and tail lights are above my waist..
Old 01-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #19

Right, so if there is such a massive discrepancy, and there is no physical way of your car damaging anything above her bumper, then why did ICBC approve $3000 worth of damages - this is your main point when you pursue your complaint...

It makes more sense now - good luck with your thing.

I know this suggestion is overplayed, but if things don't work out, try submitting a story to the media. There was one recently about ICBC approving bogus claims.

Here's the story, and a quote:

Quote:
The fired employees allegedly violated ICBC policies by approving repair estimates from at least one auto body shop over the phone, rather than in person. Policies require an in-person authorization and visual examination to ensure that repair businesses aren’t padding or inflating their estimates.

Drivers involved in accidents usually take their vehicles to claims centres, where staff estimators review the damage, make an estimate and hand drivers a list of approved repair shops.

But drivers can also take their vehicles directly to approved ICBC Valet Service repair shops, but an ICBC estimator still must go personally to inspect the damage and approve the estimate.
ICBC fires 6 estimators for repair shortcuts - British Columbia - CBC News

See, in there, it sais ICBC policy is to have physical proof. Always.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #20
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I bet your that ICBC express shop milked it.

did you speak to any ICBC adjuster regarding this claim? ask them if they have any picture evidence of the damage. in this situation, I think you should pay for the repairs out of your own pocket. sure beats paying more to ICBC over the long run. unless you really can't afford the 3k right now.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #21
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
It's a bit of bad luck you repaired your car without documenting the damage first. Not only should ICBC be looking for pre-existing damage on the other car, but they should also look at the damage on your car to figure out the severity of the impact to her car.

ICBC should be able to provide you with photos of her damage, a copy of the estimate. Make sure you ask for proof that an ICBC estimator saw the damage in-person and approved it. This is ICBC policy.

Based on your description of your car, the accident itself, and the repairs they made to her car, it does sound a bit excessive.

Quote:
anyone know what the dispute process will be?!
Didn't you ask ICBC this question when you filed the dispute?
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #22
Banned By Establishment

When you filed your claim, did you tell them what her body shop quoted you when you were considering paying for the damages first?
Don't know if it will make a difference but worth a shot.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #23
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman88 View Post
When you filed your claim, did you tell them what her body shop quoted you when you were considering paying for the damages first?
Don't know if it will make a difference but worth a shot.
Doesn't matter, a quote is a quote.. Icbc understands there could be hidden damage or other circumstances that might raise the price.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #24
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
icbc ain't stupid to not be able to distinguish old damage versus new damage.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #25
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Are you clear on how much damage there was to the vehicle you hit?

a car bumped mine when it was parking and left a tiny tiny dent in my rear bumper. A coworker saw it and took down the info of the car. If he didnt tell me I probably wouldnt have even noticed. I brought it to icbc, the dent is between two panels so the estimate to repair was $800.
dave123 is offline   Reply With Quote