REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
The RS Anchorman

The great communist corruption fire sale of China

Thousands of Chinese communist officials have been panicked into a fire sale of their illicit properties and billions of dollars have been smuggled overseas as the country’s new leaders intensify a campaign to root out corruption.

Luxurious properties are being dumped on the market in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou for anyone able to pay in cash as officials try to cover their tracks. A report by the party’s anti-corruption unit, the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CDIC), said “a wave of luxury home sales began last November and has accelerated since December”.

It said the volume of deals had intensified by “a hundred times” after Xi Jinping, the incoming Chinese president, warned that corruption could kill the party and put one of the country’s most vigorous and resolute politicians, Wang Qishan, in charge of stamping out graft.

Fu Zongmo, an estate agent in Sanya, Hainan, said his colleagues had sold two houses recently for government officials. In recent years, the tropical beaches and golf courses of Sanya have attracted plenty of speculators but recently the market has stalled.

“They never register the houses in their own names and they use a string of agents to do the deals,” said Fu. He said one company had bribed an official by buying him a property at the Mountain Water International Complex. “The property was put in the name of the official’s relative. After six months, it was sold for two million yuan (pounds 200,000), around the same amount it cost. Then the official could cash out.

“The officials often use a special mobile number and when the deal closes they invite us for dinner to end the relationship. Then they throw away the number so we cannot contact them,” he added.

The CDIC report, which was obtained by the Economic Observer newspaper, suggested that nearly 10,000 luxurious homes had been sold by officials in Guangzhou and Shanghai last year. It also claimed that $1 trillion (pounds 630 billion), equivalent to 40 per cent of Britain’s annual gross domestic product, had been smuggled out of China illegally in 2012. Economists and experts cast doubt on the figure, but said the flow of money was dramatic. Li Chengyan, a professor at Peking University, suggested that about 10,000 officials had absconded from China with as much as pounds 100 billion.

Marco Pearman-Parish at Corporation China, a company in Beijing that helps clients find properties abroad, said there had been a strong rise in clients looking for homes in the Cayman Islands. “In Beijing, half our clients are government officials,” he said. “Nine out of 10 claim to be businessmen, but it emerges over the course of the deal that they have government jobs.”

The CDIC said 1,100 government officials had fled China during last year’s national holidays in October and that 714 had been successful in getting away. In the United States, the National Association of Realtors said properties worth more than $7 billion had been bought by Chinese in the U.S. last year. Some high-end homes were now built for rich Chinese, with ponds for koi carp and a second kitchen for pungent cooking.

Jiang Ming’an, a professor at Peking University Law School and an anti-corruption adviser, said: “The government has been setting up a housing registration system and that may have scared some of the officials with too many houses. People will not take to the streets now because the economy is good. But when it slows down in the future, as the old saying goes, the fire cannot be covered with paper forever.”

The Daily Telegraph
© Copyright (c) The Daily Telegraph

Read more: The great communist corruption fire sale of China
Advertisement
wahyinghung is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahyinghung View Post
Some high-end homes were now built for rich Chinese, with ponds for koi carp and a second kitchen for pungent cooking.

Durian?
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,048 Posts
Our Zionist overlords have been planning this for years!

Old 01-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Ah China...

A nice little communist country, where "communism" means we don't really share dick, and you don't get a choice.

Win win!
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,491 Posts
^-strong relation with your post and avatar

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
nothing a little money under the table cant fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post

Durian?
I've seen lots of Asian/Indian homes have a second kitchen. It's usually a small kitchen accessible from the main kitchen..main is for entertaining and such, but most of the cooking is done in the small one so the house doesn't get full of cooking smells (cumin/galic/fish,etc).
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
I've seen lots of Asian/Indian homes have a second kitchen. It's usually a small kitchen accessible from the main kitchen..main is for entertaining and such, but most of the cooking is done in the small one so the house doesn't get full of cooking smells (cumin/galic/fish,etc).
Yep - they also call it a grease kitchen, or wok kitchen. My parents have one, and my under-construction-house will also have one. Yes, we are Asian.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Indians call it a spice kitchen. It's become popular with open house concepts.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
The "You'd Know" Moderator

They are just eliminating officials who are not part of the Princelings faction.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I've always wanted an outdoor kitchen!

Skillz starting at 1:35

MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
Corrupt Communist chinese officials buying overseas property = inflated real estate prices in Vancouver. It all makes sense now.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Corrupt Communist chinese officials buying overseas property = inflated real estate prices in Vancouver. It all makes sense now.
you just got it??? corrupt officials and other rich (from industry) china citizens are a big part to blame for our expensive housing prices.

overall, I am very glad that this is happening. I really hope the stop of corrupt money will mean that some of it will go back to the people of China.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #14
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
you just got it??? corrupt officials and other rich (from industry) china citizens are a big part to blame for our expensive housing prices.
how big? can you quantify this number? what evidence do you base your claims?

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #15
Revscene Legend

Thanked 3,421 Times in 393 Posts
China is incredibly fucked up from the bottom all the way to the top. There's practically no hope for this country under the current regime. Its problems are much more complex than most westerners can comprehend, the whole system simply lacks universal values and common sense.
dogeatcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:

overall, I am very glad that this is happening. I really hope the stop of corrupt money will mean that some of it will go back to the people of China.
The housing boom as much as it hurt potential buyers, helped a lot of builders, contractors, property management companies and realtors make money too.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

China, why am I not surprised anymore?
Posted via RS Mobile
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Ah China...

A nice little communist country, where "communism" means we don't really share dick, and you don't get a choice.

Win win!
i cant think of an example when "communism" was implemented and it was NOT turned into what you described?
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #19
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
how big? can you quantify this number? what evidence do you base your claims?
it's in the news a lot. and take a look around you! lol. as a field tech, I go to a lot of customer homes. and yeah, I see a lot of big houses and nice apartments occupied by immigrant kids from China. no english, place is empty except for a bed and computer.

maybe I'm generalizing, but these out of country home buyers are definitely not helping with our housing prices.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #20
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
it's in the news a lot. and take a look around you! lol. as a field tech, I go to a lot of customer homes. and yeah, I see a lot of big houses and nice apartments occupied by immigrant kids from China. no english, place is empty except for a bed and computer.

maybe I'm generalizing, but these out of country home buyers are definitely not helping with our housing prices.
If you go to any pre-sales, it's mostly, if not all chinese buyers. Most condo developers cater to chinese buyers by not having the number 4 on their units, and no 4th, 14th, 24th floor etc.

80% + of the condo units by metrotown are sold to chinese buyers, this is from my friend who works for one of these developers who sees the contracts.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndude69 View Post
If you go to any pre-sales, it's mostly, if not all chinese buyers. Most condo developers cater to chinese buyers by not having the number 4 on their units, and no 4th, 14th, 24th floor etc.

80% + of the condo units by metrotown are sold to chinese buyers, this is from my friend who works for one of these developers who sees the contracts.
Define "Chinese"

Is it cause they look Asian and speak mandarin or did they show a PRC passport?

Chinese people can be Canadians too....
payrent is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-29-2013, 12:57 AM   #22
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndude69 View Post

I think that depends on the condo. Places like Quintet in Richmond were reported to be overwhelmingly Chinese (without any distinction of local/foreign) while I've read that at Telus Garden only 4 units were sold to foreign buyers.

Also, does your friend have the ability to tell between Chinese Canadians and those that just came or only have PR status? What about between those from Hong Kong and PRC?

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 01-29-2013 at 01:21 AM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:34 AM   #23
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by payrent View Post
Define "Chinese"

Is it cause they look Asian and speak mandarin or did they show a PRC passport?

Chinese people can be Canadians too....
I am Chinese and born in Vancouver, what he means is probably the majority of the buyers are from overseas in China or so called bbig 6 peoole
Posted via RS Mobile
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote